Sony has reportedly suffered a major cyberattack

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
ps5-900x503.jpg

Relative ransomware newcomers have claimed to have succeeded in what could be a devastating ransomware attack on global entertainment giant Sony.

Ransomed.vc has only been operating since September, despite some links to previous forums and groups. However, in that time the group has racked up an impressive amount of victims – and Sony is one of them.

“Sony Group Corporation, formerly Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering Corporation, and Sony Corporation, is a Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation headquartered in Minato, Tokyo, Japan

“We have successfully compromissed [sic] all of sony systems. We wont ransom them! we will sell the data. due to sony not wanting to pay. DATA IS FOR SALE “WE ARE SELLING IT”.

Ransomed.vc said on its leak sites, both on the clear and dark nets, taking a description straight from Wikipedia.

The group does include some proof-of-hack data, but it’s not particularly compelling information on the face of things – there appear to be screenshots of an internal log-in page, an internal PowerPoint presentation outlining testbench details, and a number of Java files.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Even if this is real (Which is questionable imo), it's not clear if anything relevant to Playstation was hit.
"Ransomed.vc has also posted a file tree of the entire leak, which appears to have less than 6,000 files – seemingly small for “all of Sony systems”.

• Informative
Reactions: Lorrdd and Zzero

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
Not ever putting my CC info on any console continues to pay dividends! All hail the pre-paid store codes!

Reactions: Box

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Destiny has been getting DDOS attacks for over a week. Got extra bad yesterday even as they’re trying to find solutions. Someone def has a hard on for this…

• angry
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
ps5-900x503.jpg

Relative ransomware newcomers have claimed to have succeeded in what could be a devastating ransomware attack on global entertainment giant Sony.

Ransomed.vc has only been operating since September, despite some links to previous forums and groups. However, in that time the group has racked up an impressive amount of victims – and Sony is one of them.

Ransomed.vc said on its leak sites, both on the clear and dark nets, taking a description straight from Wikipedia.

The group does include some proof-of-hack data, but it’s not particularly compelling information on the face of things – there appear to be screenshots of an internal log-in page, an internal PowerPoint presentation outlining testbench details, and a number of Java files.
Hmm this right after an idiotic Microsoft employee accidentally leaked a bunch of Xbox stuff.... coincidence ? I think not

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
If Sony doesn’t say anything by tomorrow night I’m going with another media coordinated damage control plan to take bad press off of Microsoft’s leak. In theory if psn or anything was comprised Sony would shut it off by now no?
The simple fact that Sony refused to pay, means it's crap. Probably the Janitor's bowel movement schedule or something.

Seriously, if this was PSN related, Sony would be in panic mode right now. We'd probably know already because I doubt they'd be willing to to repeat the same mistake from back then, where they didn't report on it right away.

It's also possible that it's more guerilla PR by the "good guy".

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
The simple fact that Sony refused to pay, means it's crap. Probably the Janitor's bowel movement schedule or something.

Seriously, if this was PSN related, Sony would be in panic mode right now. We'd probably know already because I doubt they'd be willing to to repeat the same mistake from back then, where they didn't report on it right away.

It's also possible that it's more guerilla PR by the "good guy".
I read it did take sony 3 days to respond to the hack back in 2011 but psn was down immediately. Not sure if thats true or not though.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I read it did take sony 3 days to respond to the hack back in 2011 but psn was down immediately. Not sure if thats true or not though.
I actually think it took longer. They hired a cyber security company right away but didn't say anything until they were sure. After that, they announced the hack. They got a lot of crap for waiting too long back then and I don't think they'll do the same again.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Even if it was something serious, sony wouldn't pay.

No company would believe a hacker wouldn't release the info or wouldn't sell it to someone else on good faith.