Sony introduces the Xperia Stream for 1 IV smartphone

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_annou...g_accesory_for_the_xperia_1_iv-news-55745.php

Sony had an Xperia gaming event earlier today where it announced the Xperia Stream – a cooling case that’s compatible with the Xperia 1 IV smartphone and which also doubles as a streaming rig. The accessory plugs into the phone via USB-C and brings a full-sized HDMI port alongside a LAN port, headphone jack and a USB-C port on top. It does not feature any additional buttons or joysticks so you are still doing the actual gaming on the phone's display.

gsmarena_001.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_00.jpg

Reactions: Kokoloko

azertydu91

4 Jul 2022
How is the xperia 1 IV (stupid name) ?I think I'll need to change my phone in the next couple of years and last time I checked (provided it was around 2016) Sony is the only one with the best audio codecs for my headphones.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I want a dedicated handheld, but I'd tolerate something phone psp-related, like a phone shell with all the needed buttons as a way of getting what I want even if it's not the way I'd have wanted it etc. I can't even SEE the fucking thing properly in that shitty advert. Does this thing even have L1/R1, let alone the needed L2/R2 buttons? It certainly doesn't have a DPAD or face buttons...

I'm sorry... just no. You're not telling me that the company that nerfed the Vita in SO MANY ways, but one way was to remove the HDMI out from the dev unit for final release, and then try and launch a half-baked componant salvage product, the PSVitaTV afterwards.... has this streaming cooling shell rigged-up with HDMI out, headphone jack, a fucking ethernet port and USBC...

And won't just take the punt on a real PSP handheld, or a new PSXperia phone with Xperia Play/PSP GO slide mechanic to reval LS/RS, Dpad & face buttons. Or a shell to turn those phones into bespoke PSP's in all but name. Fuck this company, man. How in the blue hell do you have people RIPPING OFF YOUR COMFORTABLE FORM FACTOR for portable games but ADDING THE 2ND SHOULDER BUTTONS.... And we get this in response?

This is color by numbers easy EASY shit, but Sony's too busy eating all the fucking crayons!

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: alphachino

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
How is the xperia 1 IV (stupid name) ?I think I'll need to change my phone in the next couple of years and last time I checked (provided it was around 2016) Sony is the only one with the best audio codecs for my headphones.
Which Xperia 1 IV?

The Game model is one of best you can have spec wise.
It has a 6.5-inch 4K 120Hz OLED.

gsmarena_005.jpg

Now if you mean the normal Xperia 1 IV it has 12GB of RAM.... that is the difference between Game and normal model.

BTW Xperia 1 phones are always well reviwed:

Last edited:

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Having learned of the 1 IV, while it's probably not as performant a would be needed for native play of PS4 games (memory bandwidth might be the biggest obstacle TBH; then again Steam Deck has much less bandwidth than PS4 but can run PS4 ports just about fine and many games at PS4-equivalent settings without issue IIRC), I can see the idea behind this. The phone should be more performant for long stretches because the cooling capabilities of this device prevent thermal throttling which usually kills mobile performance outside of short bursts of peak.

Still though they could've added some built-in buttons and thumbpads onto it, maybe some shoulder buttons. Would've elongated the form horizontally but IMO would've been worth it. They can introduce another model with those features however. Interested if there are any software/services-related things Sony have planned for Xperia line tying into/integrating with PSN & PS+, or maybe they already have some stuff like that? I'm not well-versed on their modern Xperia lineup or what their mobile division is up to TBH.

Also is this that Xperia gaming event they talked about? I thought that was planned for the 13th? So did this come out early or is it unrelated to that event or what?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Rose Mciver Reaction GIF by CBS

I cant believe this product exists and it isn't even like a customized phone-controller-shell with buttons, which was the third tier option behind either a dedicated PSP handheld or a dedicated PS-phone with buttons (see: Xperia Play).

It just has an x360 battery pack-style bump on the back. It doesnt seem too bad, but that's kinda what I expected to do when trying to re-piece-together a chopped up PS4 slim to make a homebrew PS4 Portable. It works, and has connector ports galore out the bottom, like a proof of concept, but its missing all the physical buttons and sticks. I'm aware its not actually supposed to be a new portable at all, but what is this monkey's paw corrupt a wish bullshit? No one asked for this product, right? We have this stillborn thing, meanwhile Chinese are essentially stuffing pc's and Android gaming tablets into improved Vita shells (adding L2/R2)? Utterly infuriating.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Rose Mciver Reaction GIF by CBS

I cant believe this product exists and it isn't even like a customized phone-controller-shell with buttons, which was the third tier option behind either a dedicated PSP handheld or a dedicated PS-phone with buttons (see: Xperia Play).

It just has an x360 battery pack-style bump on the back. It doesnt seem too bad, but that's kinda what I expected to do when trying to re-piece-together a chopped up PS4 slim to make a homebrew PS4 Portable. It works, and has connector ports galore out the bottom, like a proof of concept, but its missing all the physical buttons and sticks. I'm aware its not actually supposed to be a new portable at all, but what is this monkey's paw corrupt a wish bullshit? No one asked for this product, right? We have this stillborn thing, meanwhile Chinese are essentially stuffing pc's and Android gaming tablets into improved Vita shells (adding L2/R2)? Utterly infuriating.

I get the frustration but the good news is Sony's mobile division can just release a future model with exactly those features added in.

It's funny comparing this to Chinese handheld Steam Deck-style portables tho because the clear differences between the two is reliability, durability, and build quality. If/when Sony make something like this with actual buttons/shoulder triggers/thumbpads built-in, it'll be high-quality. It'll cost a bit more, but you get what you pay for.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I compare it to the gpd win 4 because that basically looks like a Vita housing shell with extra holes cut out of the back to shove the needed L2/R2 buttons. Even just looking at the thing, it's ridiculous how close to are.

I have to say that philosophically I've always thought of the PSP and Vita as ways to simply extend my main PS3/4/5 console library, and still be able to play it when you are unable to be in front of the TV. Back in the day this meant simply re-buying ports on the PSP/V Vita operating system and pretending it was cross play etc. But I think Switch shows now that what what we need is a baby brother companion device that just extends the main console. Same games, saves, scores/trophies etc.

.... Will continue soon, on laptop, phone's about to die in bath. But that just makes the point more sailient, my phone is for real life shit, or media, and it needs it's battery life for itself, not gaming or streaming games.

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
God damn it Sony, AMD literally made Steamdeck and it runs games well. Just make a very powerful Playstation style steamdeck and put you're Catelog on it?

a PS PORTABLE with better specs than a steamdeck, would crush.

Yep don’t understand this. They could easily release something next year with slightly better specs than Steamdeck.
It would help there Japan market more so than PC.

Reactions: Papacheeks