Sony is making a bold bet on an African gaming startup to boost PlayStation’s reach in the continent

26 Nov 2023
Just because they can do it, doesn't mean they should. It's not financially sound. Those habits keep you poor on the long run.

You’re speaking like people from Africa can’t afford a console lol Africa is vast and much like anywhere else in the world some people can afford it and some can’t. F2P exists as well. Kids will get a console and just play Fortnite.

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
Odd that in Africa folks would go for a device that's a luxury item vs something they need and can also play games.
The fuck are you on about? It's 500 bucks in all currency. It might convert cheaper in dollars but only the US and terrorists use that.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I remember seeing that in South Africa there was 20:1 PS to Xbox ratio or something.

Cheap hardware is the key for these new markets and I hope Sony gets more aggressive with the price when the PS5 Pro comes out.

24 Jun 2022
Odd that in Africa folks would go for a device that's a luxury item vs something they need and can also play games.

JFC assuming Eritrea or even parts of Nigeria are the same as a slum in Uganda. Only ignorant Western gamers seem to be this lazy xD.

I remember seeing that in South Africa there was 20:1 PS to Xbox ratio or something.

Cheap hardware is the key for these new markets and I hope Sony gets more aggressive with the price when the PS5 Pro comes out.

Most likely. Tho like India the absolute number may not be too large yet. With India it was like 10:1 PS5 over Xbox Series a given CY but the totals were 60K PS5 vs 6K Xbox.

Even so, yes. At the end of the day good hardware pricing, software and some services are the best means of growing in markets with potential for notable console adoption. I'm waiting to see if/when Sony announce a Latin America Hero or Brazil Hero project initiative at this point.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
People also forget countries like Eygpt and Morroco are in Africa

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
they should do a Brazil Hero Project, lots of talented devs out there
egs-horizonchaseturbo-aquiris-g1a-00-1920x1080-c164ac12745f.jpg

98cb32646b2517423fd853890cb03b7220d807bea5c717fd2fe5b828285a6e90

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023

i think they're waiting for the 5nm PS5 slim to start dropping the price, the PS5 should be 399 and the digital 349, about time

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
PC parts are significantly more expensive in anywhere that’s not USA, Western Europe, and certain parts of Asia.

You can get a general purpose computer for dirt cheap, but not a gaming PC. Console is objectively the way to go

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I haven't really used a PC for a decade plus outside of retro games and some mods for older games.
People use to use PC’s mainly for internet/email/word-excel and youtube and thats been replaced by phones, tablets, Tvs etc. Its not longer needed for basic things

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
JFC assuming Eritrea or even parts of Nigeria are the same as a slum in Uganda. Only ignorant Western gamers seem to be this lazy xD.

Most likely. Tho like India the absolute number may not be too large yet. With India it was like 10:1 PS5 over Xbox Series a given CY but the totals were 60K PS5 vs 6K Xbox.

Even so, yes. At the end of the day good hardware pricing, software and some services are the best means of growing in markets with potential for notable console adoption. I'm waiting to see if/when Sony announce a Latin America Hero or Brazil Hero project initiative at this point.
I'm from Brazil and I don't give a shit if games are made here or not. The PS5 price has been acceptable too given what we are used to, they are charging about $700 instead of $500 but given the abusive taxes here. Sony is probably making an effort to keep the price lower (unlike MS that decided to charge more than what the PS5 costs for the Series S).

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
What, you don't think everyone in Africa lives in mud huts do you? Even people in poor countries desire luxury items, when they break into middle class a PS5 might just be one of the things that they get so they feel they've "made it". Just like all the nouveau riche in China drive around in mercedes and BMW despite it still having a low per capita income.
As someone who has lived in South Africa for a good portion of my life, I think investing there is a terrible decision.

The government of South Africa is one of the most corrupt in the world; unemployment in the country is at a staggering 30%; Eskom, the country's power supplier, has failed to replace most of the energy infrastructure since the 1970s, and there are constant blackouts in the country on a daily basis.

Crime is rampant, with 85 murders a day.

There is so much racial inequality in the country now more than ever before, and to top it all over, South Africa is now in bed with the Russians, not only supplying them with arms for the Ukraine war but also aiding and training the military with navy drills off the Sa coast.

I was born in Zambia; the country went the same way under Kenneth Kuanda, I then lived in Zimbabwe under Rober Mugabe and his bullshit, and over the last 20 years, I have seen South Africa transform too.

The country is on a downward spiral, and until they sort their shitty corrupt leaders out, it's doomed.

• Surprised
Reactions: JAHGamer
26 Nov 2023
As someone who has lived in South Africa for a good portion of my life, I think investing there is a terrible decision.

The government of South Africa is one of the most corrupt in the world; unemployment in the country is at a staggering 30%; Eskom, the country's power supplier, has failed to replace most of the energy infrastructure since the 1970s, and there are constant blackouts in the country on a daily basis.

Crime is rampant, with 85 murders a day.

There is so much racial inequality in the country now more than ever before, and to top it all over, South Africa is now in bed with the Russians, not only supplying them with arms for the Ukraine war but also aiding and training the military with navy drills off the Sa coast.

I was born in Zambia; the country went the same way under Kenneth Kuanda, I then lived in Zimbabwe under Rober Mugabe and his bullshit, and over the last 20 years, I have seen South Africa transform too.

The country is on a downward spiral, and until they sort their shitty corrupt leaders out, it's doomed.

Everything you're saying is right lol But, there are companies that would greatly benefit from more outside investment, companies doing really great things. Just recently 24 Bit studios was actually bought by Annapurna and they supported dev on Caccoon. Terra Nil was made by a Cape Town based studio and they landed a deal to be on Netflix sub. Not to mention eSports is booming too. Even the company mentioned here, Carry1st, hosted a massive Valorant tournament last year. There's a lot of potential here and I think Sony is big enough to work around the shit government lol

Fuck loadshedding though, that I'll always agree with 😂 I'm dying.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'm waiting to see if/when Sony announce a Latin America Hero or Brazil Hero project initiative at this point.
they should do a Brazil Hero Project, lots of talented devs out there
egs-horizonchaseturbo-aquiris-g1a-00-1920x1080-c164ac12745f.jpg

98cb32646b2517423fd853890cb03b7220d807bea5c717fd2fe5b828285a6e90
SIE mentioned around a year or two ago that they wanted to expand in regions that already were huge gaming markets or that are experiencing a big growth, like (non-Japan) rest of Asia like mainly China, Korea or India and Latin America.

The idea is to support/invest in/partner with promising local dev teams, local major publishers, platform holders and other companies to help them grow their console business in these markets, but also to diversify their catalog with local mobile and PC games for these countries where console market isn't that big as is in NA/EU/JP.

We already saw different initiatives and partnerships for Asia and this is a first (a tiny one, a sub $10 investment) for Africa. Make sure that in the next year or so we'll start to see stuff for Latin America, and particularly in Brazil, Mexico or Argentina. Stuff like a LATAM Hero Project, some partnership with some local dev studios or payment companies or something like that.