Sony Is Planning to Call Off $10 Billion Merger With India’s Zee

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
  • Japanese firm working on sending termination notice by Jan. 20
  • Last-lap leadership tussle was the biggest hurdle for the deal
Sony Group Corp. is planning to call off the merger pact of its India unit with Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd., said people familiar with the matter, capping two years of drama and delay in creating a $10 billion media giant.

Good news

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
  • Japanese firm working on sending termination notice by Jan. 20
  • Last-lap leadership tussle was the biggest hurdle for the deal

Good news
What the hell lol, they did so much work for that shit.
Now take that 10b and put it into playstation you cheapasses

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Good, probably to spend in gaming publisher/studios (better double down on PlayStation because consolidation looking spooky w MS, Saudi Arabia, Google, Tencent, Comcast & others looking to buy a publisher or 2). I mean you can double down on gaming ip & use those ip to make content & license it out like they’re already doing racking in the cash

Last edited:

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Fantastic news.

Now they can use the money to buy Square Enix.
I just want Sony to ensure Square Enix remains 3rd party under them a majority investment would do Sony needs to secure meaningful publisher that gives them the ability to expand & gives a massive profit increase to continue those AAA quality games. Capcom + Take 2 synergy w EVO & VR expertise & 2 established live service SF & MH + Take 2 IP & live service galore GTA, 2K & Zynga. Mihoyo would be a great 3rd publisher to continue bolstering mobile & live service + china market. Also locking Kadakawa/Fromsoft after that I can care less there’s smaller studios like Arc System work & Arrowhead that seem logical buyout

Last edited:
Reactions: On Demand and Puff
OP
OP
Puff

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Fantastic news.

Now they can use the money to buy Square Enix.
8vbazrnmxxj81.jpg

Fromsoftware would be enough for me

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023

Not 10b, it is only 1.5b

10b is a massive amount for Sony anyway :LOL:

Reactions: InsertToughNameHere

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I read somewhere it is only 500 Billion yen, so about 3 billion Freedom Dollars.

10 billion Freedom Dollars is total value after merge.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Just enough money to buy Epic...
Can they even do that, from a non-financial "can Sony afford them" context? Like there's instances where Sony is Epic's little brother investor into outside companies. If Sony has 20% and Epic had 30% and Sony buys Epic, Sony now leapfrogs to 50% holdings in company X? Or Epic owns Unreal Engine and MetaHumans software-technology (that doesn't sound right, there's a word for that). Nor to mention Fortnite/marketshare percentages, Epic's mobile/PC storefronts... People would throw a fit saying Sony are trying for some monopoly play.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: xollowsob

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Can they even do that, from a non-financial "can Sony afford them" context? Like there's instances where Sony is Epic's little brother investor into outside companies. If Sony has 20% and Epic had 30% and Sony buys Epic, Sony now leapfrogs to 50% holdings in company X? Or Epic owns Unreal Engine and MetaHumans software-technology (that doesn't sound right, there's a word for that). Nor to mention Fortnite/marketshare percentages, Epic's mobile/PC storefronts... People would throw a fit saying Sony are trying for some monopoly play.
I wouldn't even bother with outright buying them. Epic is frequently involved in so many lawsuits its ridiculous. I mean the only thing they have going for them is their engine. Other then that maybe fortnite.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
It's a good question and all I can think is "Microsoft bought Activision".

Acti owned king and cod and that went through.

Sony and Epic are a perfect fit

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's a good question and all I can think is "Microsoft bought Activision".

Acti owned king and cod and that went through.

Sony and Epic are a perfect fit
I disagree, I think Epic is too activist for a company like Sony to integrate successfully.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: xollowsob