Sony is refunding TLOU part 2 remaster for people who already own part 2 PS4 digital version

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
I don't think they should be charging anything for this upgrade but at least they are refunding people who make a mistake preordering a full price.
quite honestly, i don't understand why they charge for these upgrades, Sony has a HUGE problem where they devalue their games to a point of selling them for 10 dollars like they did with the PS4 version of TLOU2 and then when a PS5 version releases, they charge 10 for upgrades, the most intelligent thing would be to not devalue their games so much, like Nintendo, and then give the upgrade for free for all the people who bought it

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
quite honestly, i don't understand why they charge for these upgrades, Sony has a HUGE problem where they devalue their games to a point of selling them for 10 dollars like they did with the PS4 version of TLOU2 and then when a PS5 version releases, they charge 10 for upgrades, the most intelligent thing would be to not devalue their games so much, like Nintendo, and then give the upgrade for free for all the people who bought it

Exactly my thoughts too.

It also kinda feels disrespectful for people who support at full price on da 1 and buy collectors editions etc.

Reactions: Etifilio

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
I agree with most of that but Not the Nintendo statement because Nintendo sell all there games full price, old games, new games, remakes, remasters from system to system.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Exactly my thoughts too.

It also kinda feels disrespectful for people who support at full price on da 1 and buy collectors editions etc.
Ffs guys. Its 10$ and if you buy a top up card from cd key it will be $8. I find it weird people have no problem subscribing the obnoxious garbage every month but complains about a 10 that developers put their hard work on. This is less than a big mac. Are you guys mad?

Reactions: Bryank75

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
I agree with most of that but Not the Nintendo statement because Nintendo sell all there games full price, old games, new games, remakes, remasters from system to system.
well, i'm referring to these 200/300M budget games from Sony, these should be discounted to 20% max, 40/50 dollars on sale, not llike they heavly discount the game and then try to extract money with upgrades later, these games are worth and justifiable to be 40 + even on sale, they cost a lot to make.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
well, i'm referring to these 200/300M budget games from Sony, these should be discounted to 20% max, 40/50 dollars on sale, not llike they heavly discount the game and then try to extract money with upgrades later, these games are worth and justifiable to be 40 + even on sale, they cost a lot to make.
Games nowadays sells forever. Sony could charge you $5 and they would eventually recoup the money. These 300mil 400mil aren't recouping payments

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think it lies with that issue for them.

A PS4 priced game is $60/$40.
A PS5 priced game is $70/$50.

So to not make it unfair to any side Sony set that all upgrades are $10.
That way you avoid people buying the PS4 version instead PS5 if the upgrade was free.

Using the TLOU2 case with actual numbers...

TLOU2 PS4: $40
TLOU2 PS5: $50

If ou make the upgrade free everybody will buy the PS4 version.
So the upgrade is $10 to match the PS5 version price... no matter what patch you choose you will end having to pay $50 (directly or $40 + $10) to play the remastered version.

If Sony had maintained the prices at $60/$40 for PS5 that should not be a issue but that boat sailed.
Now the only way to make it fair to consumers is to ask $10 for the upgrade.

Reactions: GrayWolf323

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
So if you own both PS4 and PS5 or Sold a PS4 and got a PS5 then want to upgrade they should not give you the option?
?

If your account have the PS4 digital version you should not have option to buy/preorder the PS5 version... just upgrade.
If you put your PS4 disc on tray you should not have option to buy/preorder the PS5 version... just upgrade.

It makes no sense to me they give the option to buy the PS5 in your PSN account if you the PS4 version already.
Same if you put the PS4 disc on tray.

That is what made Sony had to refund PS5 versions of accounts that already have the PS4 version... an unnecessary cost for Sony and an small inconvenience for consumer.
Well in parts... if you have the PS4 disc and you preordered the PS5 version you are fucked because Sony won't refund it.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
?

If I have the PS4 digital version you should not have option to buy the PS5 version... just upgrade.
If you put your PS4 disc on tray you should not have option to buy the PS5 version... just upgrade.
Why people are so difficult to grasp this concept?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Ffs guys. Its 10$ and if you buy a top up card from cd key it will be $8. I find it weird people have no problem subscribing the obnoxious garbage every month but complains about a 10 that developers put their hard work on. This is less than a big mac. Are you guys mad?

It's not about that for me, it's that they are porting games to pc and they get upgrades free of charge.

If it was full exclusive, charge away. It's the double standard.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
the most intelligent thing would be to not devalue their games so much, like Nintendo, and then give the upgrade for free for all the people who bought it
Nintendo might not devalue their games but they don't give anything for free or even $10. You have to rebuy the remaster at full price with no upgrade path at all.

Sony is a lot more generous for that $10 (with Free DLC like GOT Legends, Returnal Tower or GOW Valhalla) but they don't get any props because people want everything for free.

GrayWolf323

6 Sep 2023
It's not about that for me, it's that they are porting games to pc and they get upgrades free of charge.

If it was full exclusive, charge away. It's the double standard.
what upgrades have PC gamers gotten free of charge from PlayStation Studios? 🤨

24 Jun 2022

Well luckily they are doing exactly as you said; games like GOW Ragnarok, GT7 etc. are still selling very strong well after release without any major price drops (aside from brief momentary sales).

That's probably a reason the Valhalla DLC was a surprise free drop at the VGAs. I still think heavy story-based expansion content can be offered at a nominal upgrade fee considering the resources needed to make it (i.e Miles Morales or the UC4 expansion content), and a modest price for those who want it standalone/didn't buy the original game.

But DLC content like the Valhalla drop (or GoT MP) should probably be replicated going forward as free drops to the original releases. In return those original releases can retain their prices longer closer to original MSRP or something like that (setting up a per-game subscription/payment installment system on the PS Store for digital titles would also aid in this).

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
$10 is fine, you can simply play the old version that is already patched if it's not worth $10 to you. Better yet If a game isn't worth $10 to you, don't play it.

It's funny how people only criticize Sony for the stuff I don't care about at all and ignore all the issues I care for. I couldn't be less in tune with the game media and general audience.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
$10 for completely new levels and a new game mode sounds fine to me. They already upgraded the frame rate and added haptics for free.

ElCapitano

11 Mar 2023
I don't think they should be charging anything for this upgrade but at least they are refunding people who make a mistake preordering a full price.

10 dollars is undercharging for it.

We get 3 lost levels, Rouglike survival mode and more. And then there is the remastered portion to add to that.

Not charging for it would make zero sense.

Reactions: Bryank75