Sony is unbelievably stupid for not leaning into the Astro franchise.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Children are enamored by the gameplay, character, and presentation of Astro's Playroom.

There's absolutely no reason they shouldn't make Astro the PlayStation brand mascot.

Giving every PS5 owner access to the tech demo than not having a full release title since is idiotic. More 3d platformers on the platform (no need to be AAA) would be a better move than the stupid live service move.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Outside the top Nintendo games, 3D platformers don't sell a shit anymore. Live service games instead are the most played games, generate the majority of gaming revenue, and most of the most played and top grossing games are live service games.

Pretty likely this is the reason of why big publishers release many live service games instead of 3D mascot platformers: they are running a business so they focus on what gives them money.

Also, they did use Astro here:
ps-portal-hero-5

Reactions: shrike0fth0rns
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Outside the top Nintendo games, 3D platformers don't sell a shit anymore. Live service games instead are the most played games, generate the majority of gaming revenue, and most of the most played and top grossing games are live service games.

Pretty likely this is the reason of why big publishers release many live service games instead of 3D mascot platformers: they are running a business so they focus on what gives them money.

Also, they did use Astro here:
ps-portal-hero-5

Astro has like Nintendo level marketability they could easily make animated movies with him and plenty of merchandise potential. It still baffles me that they refuse to capitalise on this.

The last few Live service games released all flopped really hard. Look WB and Square Enix, none of their live service games took off. Capcoms Dinosaur live service game flopped too (forgot what it was called).

The only real success stories are things like Destiny and GTA V

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Children are enamored by the gameplay, character, and presentation of Astro's Playroom.

There's absolutely no reason they shouldn't make Astro the PlayStation brand mascot.

Giving every PS5 owner access to the tech demo than not having a full release title since is idiotic. More 3d platformers on the platform (no need to be AAA) would be a better move than the stupid live service move.
I agree, Astro was an absolute little gem of a game.

I can not believe they don't invest more in it and make multiple games for it, it would and could be an incredible mascot that could one day be held in the same vein as something like Mario.

Manchester City Soccer GIF

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Astro has like Nintendo level marketability they could easily make animated movies with him and plenty of merchandise potential. It still baffles me that they refuse to capitalise on this.
As I remember months ago they mentioned to have like 10 adaptations in the works, being some of them Gran Turismo, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon and can't remember if another Uncharted movie. All way bigger IPs with more potential to capitalize.

But they also have other ones from smaller IPs such as Twisted Metal or Gravity Rush, so maybe some day they also make some Astro animation. I assume the next Team Asobi game, which is supposed to be a bigger 3D action platformer with humor than the Astros, is an Astro sequel, but maybe this time not limited to VR or as a free bundled game. If they do it and works well enough I assume it will be a good opportunity to release an animation.

The last few Live service games released all flopped really hard. Look WB and Square Enix, none of their live service games took off. Capcoms Dinosaur live service game flopped too (forgot what it was called). The only real success stories are things like Destiny and GTA V
No. Fortnite, CoD, Apex Legends,, Roblox, FIFA, eFootball, NBA2K, Madden, MLB, Gran Turismo, Minecraft, PUBG, Rainbow Six Siege, Assassin's Creed, Rocket League, Overwatch, Fall Guys, Genshin Impact, Rust, Sims 4 are only a few examples of successful GaaS.

As an example, Sony said they were happy with the performance of their most recent GaaS, MLB and Gran Turismo 7.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I agree, Astro was an absolute little gem of a game.

I can not believe they don't invest more in it and make multiple games for it, it would and could be an incredible mascot that could one day be held in the same vein as something like Mario.

Manchester City Soccer GIF
How,do you know they’re not investing? Team Asobi is developing a game. Gamers these days just aren’t patient man. Lol

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

The last few Live service games released all flopped really hard. Look WB and Square Enix, none of their live service games took off. Capcoms Dinosaur live service game flopped too (forgot what it was called).

The only real success stories are things like Destiny and GTA V
Idk about “Nintendo level marketability“ Also Astro might not sell big with modern PS fans. Look at Ratchet and Clank. That’s a cartoon game and it didn’t dell much.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
One thing Playstation needs to do is invest in future generations of Playstation gamers. Astrobot would be perfect for that. How many times have you bought a product or game based on nostalgia? Not everything needs to be driving maximal revenue growth in the present. There needs to be a holistic approach to the business with an eye to the future as well. In 15 years when the current 10 year old kids getting their first PS5s are grown and have their own incomes, they're going to be partial to the system that gave them memorable experiences as a kid.

Reactions: Box

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
No. Fortnite, CoD, Apex Legends,, Roblox, FIFA, eFootball, NBA2K, Madden, MLB, Gran Turismo, Minecraft, PUBG, Rainbow Six Siege, Assassin's Creed, Rocket League, Overwatch, Fall Guys, Genshin Impact, Rust, Sims 4 are only a few examples of successful GaaS.

As an example, Sony said they were happy with the performance of their most recent GaaS, MLB and Gran Turismo 7.

I’d say yes and no. Most of them are doing great atm but theres so much money being thrown at them that it could stop racking in revenue at some point in the future.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

One of my best gaming experiences ever was playing Astrobot Rescue Mission. It was a sublime game and my favorite platformer, period!

Reactions: PropellerEar

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
One thing Playstation needs to do is invest in future generations of Playstation gamers. Astrobot would be perfect for that. How many times have you bought a product or game based on nostalgia? Not everything needs to be driving maximal revenue growth in the present. There needs to be a holistic approach to the business with an eye to the future as well. In 15 years when the current 10 year old kids getting their first PS5s are grown and have their own incomes, they're going to be partial to the system that gave them memorable experiences as a kid.
Or just buy Nintendo to be market relevant like Philly says .

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I’d say yes and no. Most of them are doing great atm but theres so much money being thrown at them that it could stop racking in revenue at some point in the future.
All GaaS keep getting support while they are generating enough. When they generate less, support gets reduced. And when the revenue isn't enough they shut it down.

In fact, unlike non-GaaS games, they can save a lot of (post launch) content/budget of the game: if at release they see that the game tanked hard they cut the post launch content and save all that before it's spent.

In the specific case of Sony they have two groups: smaller nicher ones as could be Helldivers 2 or Firewall Ultra which won't need much to be successful, and the big ones made by top tier devs as makers of Destiny, Destiny 2, Rainbow Six Siege, CoD, ND MP etc.

The talent behind the big ones is so big that very likely none of them will tank hard, but instead most of them will be successful, at least doing it ok. And there will be minimum a couple of them -I bet maybe 3- which will be a huge success that will not only compensate the failed GaaS, but will put Sony in a newer level of revenue.

Or just buy Nintendo to be market relevant like Philly says .
Nintendo wouldn't sell themselves, and less to some loser and dirty gaijins. It's easier to see MS buying the moon.

Reactions: Snes nes

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Idk about “Nintendo level marketability“ Also Astro might not sell big with modern PS fans. Look at Ratchet and Clank. That’s a cartoon game and it didn’t dell much.
To be fair, stuff like Animal Crossing took twenty years of pushing to become the hit that it is. Astro is made by a small team and, while it might not have AC potential, it could become as reliable as stuff like Luigi's Mansion or Pikmin. No needs to shove him down our throats, let the series get one or two releases per gen.

Reactions: Box

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
Are people under the impression that video games are made in a few weeks?

If they are making a full Astro game it will take many years to make, they cant just shit out quality games on demand

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
You are deluded

Astro is great but there is absolutely nothing suggesting it could be a Mario like phenomenon

And giving it away free is probably the best thing they could have done with that franchise to get people trying it at least

I would like to see a full AAA release but I also wouldn't be shocked if it did and sold very poorly

24 Jun 2022
Aren't Team Asobi working on an Astro platformer? They probably started it sometime in 2020.

Money isn't the only reason publishes, especially platform holders, should (or even historically, have) used to develop and publish games. Besides not all games are expected to be massive hits, but the few which are tend to make more than enough profit to cover the costs of the less successful games. Isn't that exactly the mentality Sony have stated behind the (at the time) GaaS/live-service plans? They just need 2-3 big winners to cover the costs of the rest; why wouldn't that apply to traditional games and platformers specifically?

Plus, it helps with adding genre and game type variety to the portfolio of software offerings specific to the platform, which will entice additional sales of hardware and software over time. And, given this is a creative-driven industry, that type of variety gives more chances for artistic expression which a lot of creators in the industry want to do (in addition to making financially successful games of course).