Sony made more money than Samsung for the first time in 24 years.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Samsung's growth over the past decade, backed by the stellar performance of its chip division, has been nothing short of remarkable. The company made money hand over fist due to its dominance in the memory chip market, so much so that just over 14 years ago, the operating profit of nine biggest Japanese electronics companies wasn't even half of what Samsung Electronics was making alone.
The situation has improved in favor of the Japanese recently as Samsung's been having a tough time of it, particularly due to the supply glut and falling average sales price in the memory market. That has given Sony the opening to beat Samsung's operating profit for the first time in over two decades.

Sony has made more profit than Samsung for the first time since 1999​

Samsung provided its earnings guidance for Q4 2023 today, highlighting a 34.4% decline in profit. It's expected that Samsung's operating profit for the year will be 7.49 trillion won or $5.62 billion compared to Sony's operating profit estimate of 1.17 trillion yen or $7.95 billion. Going by these estimates, Sony has made over $2 billion more than Samsung Electronics in 2023.

This is the first time since 1999 that Samsung Electronics' operating profit has fallen behind Sony, a company that it quite literally chased out of the smartphone market. It's largely been caused by the slump in the semiconductor market as the situation still hasn't recovered enough for Samsung to post record profits again.
Experts also point out that Sony's increased focus on globalization, digital transformation, restructuring, and an aggressive approach to mergers and acquisitions has also contributed to its strong performance. While Samsung expects the semiconductor market to recover in 2024, it could take some time before the company can beat Sony on profit once again.

Maverick

1 Sep 2023
I bought OLED TV 6 months ago. As a Sony TV user for like last 30 years, I had to choose Samsung OLED because Sony ones were pretty expensive.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
To be fair Samsung has government subsidies as well, those wasn't accounted in final balance sheet.

fod

3 Feb 2024
I bought OLED TV 6 months ago. As a Sony TV user for like last 30 years, I had to choose Samsung OLED because Sony ones were pretty expensive.
What do you think of the Samsung in comparison. I've a A90j and A95k at the minute. Probably won't upgrade this year might wait another year. Best deals I see here in Ireland on TVs is that gap between black Friday and new year sales starting. That might be different in other parts of the world

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
What do you think of the Samsung in comparison. I've a A90j and A95k at the minute. Probably won't upgrade this year might wait another year. Best deals I see here in Ireland on TVs is that gap between black Friday and new year sales starting. That might be different in other parts of the world
Samsung is garbage, they don't have Android TV on them... So many apps are just missing.

Reactions: fod

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
the samsung built-in processor is slow as molasses, I dislike samsung tv's even if the specs on their panels are great. It just sucks to have to have lag when you're clicking the remote.

Cheap TVs that are decent quality are the Chinese ones - TCL and Hisense. But they have kind of poor quality control. LG makes good TVs for the money (OLEDs only, their LED TVs are garbo), and they actually are kind of losing money on their OLEDs.

fod

3 Feb 2024
I do like the android on Sony TVs. The only lg I owned was a 3d one. Unfortunately 3d made me sick after an hour like vr does. So I jumped back to the Sony. I've never owned a Samsung TV and some people absolutely love them. It's brand loyalty like most things. I'm no better, if Sony made a kettle I'd buy it. This is the first phone in years that I bought that isn't Sony 😂😂

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I do like the android on Sony TVs. The only lg I owned was a 3d one. Unfortunately 3d made me sick after an hour like vr does. So I jumped back to the Sony. I've never owned a Samsung TV and some people absolutely love them. It's brand loyalty like most things. I'm no better, if Sony made a kettle I'd buy it. This is the first phone in years that I bought that isn't Sony 😂😂
The thing about Sony is that they do a good job calibrating them out of the box, and they tend to have good build quality. Also the latest models have some AI upscaling/image processing that cleans up low res content and makes it look better than other TVs. The bad thing is they charge a lot more than the competition. I have a sony OLED but I got it as a refurb which means it was 50% off msrp. At that price it was a great deal

• brain
Reactions: The Icon and fod

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Their chip manufacturing is way behind TSMC though
depend on what field?
Sony leading in image proccessing
Samsung leading in NAND and memory
TSMC leading in proccessors, where node size is more important.
A barrage of bigger chips for other electronics being made by some other firms, which made far more revenue that TSMC.

• Informative
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The thing about Sony is that they do a good job calibrating them out of the box, and they tend to have good build quality. Also the latest models have some AI upscaling/image processing that cleans up low res content and makes it look better than other TVs. The bad thing is they charge a lot more than the competition. I have a sony OLED but I got it as a refurb which means it was 50% off msrp. At that price it was a great deal
I had the chance to compare DVD upscaling on the PS4 and then a Blue Ray player from Samsung... As you said, the image processing on Sony's side is just in a league of its own (it was back then anyway).

Stuff like noise reduction, image clarity and "native HD look" was just out of this world.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don’t like Samsung phones at all.
They own customization of Android called OneUI is garbage.

But it is the only brand that officially sells premium (and of course mid and low-end) Android in Brazil 🤷‍♂️

So when friends ask I recommend Sansung because they will have the warranty and support if something and happens.

Sony phones were way better in term sod features and Android customizations.
But I never liked they retangular design.

Edit - I forget to say… when I recommend Samsung phones o friends I ask them to find Snapdragon version because Samsung S with Exynos have garbage performance and become super hot with high CPU use (games for example).

Samsung own chips are ridiculous bad.

And before people says hate Samsung my Refrigerator is Samsung and it is the best one in the Brazilian’s market… I can only praise it… The washing machine is one of the best too.

Quality way ahead others brands in home appliances.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I don’t like Samsung phones at all.
They own customization of Android called OneUI is garbage.

But it is the only brand that officially sells premium (and of course mid and low-end) Android in Brazil 🤷‍♂️

So when friends ask I recommend Sansung because they will have the warranty and support if something and happens.
Love Samsung and in terms of features and and innovation within their os they are usually a step ahead of Apple which later implements similar features.

With tht said there are some other phones producers I see abroad tht I'd love to be here in the States as we cannot get them for different reasons, some being political.

Reactions: xollowsob

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
the samsung built-in processor is slow as molasses, I dislike samsung tv's even if the specs on their panels are great. It just sucks to have to have lag when you're clicking the remote.

Cheap TVs that are decent quality are the Chinese ones - TCL and Hisense. But they have kind of poor quality control. LG makes good TVs for the money (OLEDs only, their LED TVs are garbo), and they actually are kind of losing money on their OLEDs.
I bought a 40inch Hisense 4k TV from Amazon for £250. It was for a spare room.
Hands down the best screen and features I've used in a TV in over a decade. Ironically, the last best TV was Samsung's early LED.

Samsung has lost 35% profit in a year? What happened? Other than their phones and TVs been shit but that's been true for a while.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I bought a 40inch Hisense 4k TV from Amazon for £250. It was for a spare room.
Hands down the best screen and features I've used in a TV in over a decade. Ironically, the last best TV was Samsung's early LED.

Samsung has lost 35% profit in a year? What happened? Other than their phones and TVs been shit but that's been true for a while.
Yea hisense and TCL are like toyota in 1995
Trying to break into the market with cheap but solid performing hardware.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: xollowsob