Sony reverses position & will no longer require PSN account linking for Helldivers 2. Must take the right lessons from this fiasco.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Can you name a single storefront that has succeeded on PC? (That isn't Steam).

The sooner you accept the reality of this, the sooner you can start blaming PC gamers again for a new problem. :)
I give the example.

Ubisoft revenue near doubled after left Steam.. today they only do Steam releases after some period.

Sorry… what probably exactly?

Reactions: Muddasar and Box

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
That is posted in Ubisoft financials 🤷‍♂️

So yeap I believe that Sony would be better without Steam.
Sony games sales on Steam are ridiculous bad except like 2-3 titles.
If Sony sales are bad on Steam where millions of gamers are, what makes you think they would sell more on a launcher that won't have a fraction of the users Steam has? It's basic math.

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
Really grasping at straws right now
What you don't realize is, 99% of people won't fucking bother making an account if they can play the game without one. IDK if this is news to you but people want to do the least amount of work to start playing and get going.

Sony should have enforced it, by not allowing you to play the game at all without an account, simple as.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If Sony sales are bad on Steam where millions of gamers are, what makes you think they would sell more on a launcher that won't have a fraction of the users Steam has? It's basic math.
Because you know these that buys Sony games will be whatever place it is.

Now you won’t buy it no matter it is on Steam, PlayStation, Xbox, etc… People complaining won’t buy Sony games at all.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
So it doubled but they still do release on Steam later... like Sony. Yeah, I wonder why.
Yeap I wonder 😂
Think a bit about it.

A hint… over 80% of the revenue comes at launch window and not after with fire sales and discounts.

That is why Ubisoft revenue near doubled after left Steam in 2018… because they full launch sales are all in Ubisoft pockets.

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
Because you know these that buys Sony games will be whatever place it is.

Now you won’t buy it no matter it is on Steam, PlayStation, Xbox, etc… People complaining won’t buy Sony games at all.
90% of people on Steam don't buy a game if it's not on Steam. Only a small number would go to another launcher just to buy your game. It's less money no matter how you slice it. But I sure hope Sony does this.

You must be smarter than Sony's marketing department, how could they not thought of that a few years ago? Investing a few million dollars into making a launcher and then gambling it all.

• haha
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
90% of people on Steam don't buy a game if it's not on Steam. Only a small number would go to another launcher just to buy your game. It's less money no matter how you slice it. But I sure hope Sony does this.

You must be smarter than Sony's marketing department, how could they not thought of that a few years ago? Investing a few million dollars into making a launcher and then gambling it all.
Yeap and how do you think uPlay near doubled the revenue?

Another hint it was not losing sales from Steam lol

BTW I’m not smart than :Sony… I’m just using facts to show you that Sony plan is way bigger than you think and Steam was never part of it… it was just a transition.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
What you don't realize is, 99% of people won't fucking bother making an account if they can play the game without one. IDK if this is news to you but people want to do the least amount of work to start playing and get going.

Sony should have enforced it, by not allowing you to play the game at all without an account, simple as.

It takes 2 minutes to make an account

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
I honestly don't understand why Sony needs a launcher or its own store on PC. They've invested hundreds of millions in Epic, so why not release exclusively on PC in the Epic Store again? In the end, Sony also benefits if the Epic Store becomes more successful. If the rumors about the next Xbox hardware are true and Steam can be used there, Sony will have to rethink things anyway, in my opinion. I don't think Sony is interested in Steam becoming an even bigger player and thus being able to demand even more percentage. I also don't know how much Sony likes to see Playstation ports run on Xbox thanks to Steam. Since Xbox doesn't seem to be a competitor anymore and MS ports a lot of things, that won't be as relevant today, but I can hardly imagine Sony wanting to give up control over games.

Perhaps Sony wants to keep as many options open as possible, as it did with TV shows. Sony could open its own new streaming service straight away, but instead work with every other service. It seems to be similar with games. They've invested in Epic, but they also have good relationships with Apple, and since Epic and Apple are having a few problems, Sony currently prefers to go with Steam. I'm definitely excited to see how this all continues and what the next CEO will decide at some point. But it's also bizarre that Jim Ryan has only been retired for a month and the next shitstorm is breaking out after the Stellar Blade censorship drama. It's about time that Sony finally got active and got some positive press again, otherwise even a good showcase can hardly save the mood.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
The only thing I see coming out of this is Arrowhead having to use kickstarter for their next game 5 years down the line :ROFLMAO:

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
Yet they play on PC?
Yeah, because they want maximum control and freedom.

Also, you can buy a prebuilt PC so you don't have to do anything yourself other than boot it up, and start playing. And if you do build it yourself, it's a one-time setup. It's 2024, you should know how computers work.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The only thing I see coming out of this is Arrowhead having to use kickstarter for their next game 5 years down the line :ROFLMAO:
They've already made enough money that they can probably self-publish without any extra funding

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
It's Sony's IP. They were paid to make the game, they don't get to keep the profits.

Exactly. Sony financed the game including their wages and the servers

At most they got bonuses for reaching milestones sale wise.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Depends on the contract. Especially since Sony doesn't own Arrowhread.

A fully owned IP does not give profits to the developer.

Sony financed the game including paying their wages and servers.

At most they get bonuses for reaching milestones.