Sony needs to heavly invest in backwards compatibility moving forward

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
PlayStation needs to be the console you go for to play games across all generations, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, PSP and PSVita, it needs to have hundreds of games that are backwards compatible across these generations, so we can move on carrying everything (or almost everything) on our libraries, PS3 emulation is possible on the PS5, the current effort they're putting in PS1 and PSP classics in the Premium/Deluxe tier of the PlayStation Plus is simply not enough, they're literally doing 2 classics per month, sometimes not even that, once the PS3 and Vita stores get closed, hundreds of games that are digital only, specially DLCs and indies will be lost forever.
22112532246205.jpg

this is a huge L for preservation and for our digital libraries, i don't know about you guys, but i have a lot of digital stuff in the PS3, and it's fantastic that the PSOne Classics in the PS3 are carried to the PS5 digital version when they're ported to this new Premium tier, some of them (first party titles) with trophy support for example, i had Tekken 2 bought on PS3 and today i can play it on my PS5 without the need of a subscription service, this is fantastic, it means that our libraries will move on with us and get enchanced with the advancements in technology, if the current PS5 can run PS3 games at 30fps, for example, PS6 will probably be able to run PS3 games at 60 - 120fps, that's why we need PS3 backwards compatibility and not only that, but PSVita too
psvita-2_rajs.jpg

i would love to be able to play games like Uncharted The Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenary, Resistance Burning Skies and Wipeout 2048 on a big screen with my PS5, and with enchancements in fps and image quality, this is all possible but Sony needs to invest in it, that's why we need to demand it, so then we can carry every piece of legacy in the playstation history with us to new generation of consoles
81C6YQ-1lzL.jpg

91DaGaV7urL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

81pcYb256NL.jpg

81XZJLDKeVL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I used to think I wanted bc with PS2 games, but truth is they didn't age well, and the only games I want from PS3 are online games like Warhawk and MAG which are now dead. And PS1 graphics are horrible even when PS1 was out I never got it, I chose the N64, the graphics were much better. PlayStation bc starts with PS4 and 30 years from now that will still be the case.

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Unfortunately, it's too late...

SteamDeck emulates everything up to and including the PSP\PS2.

Looking at the success of PS3\X360 emulation on Rog Ally Z1, SteamDeck2 will get full and comfortable emulation of ALL releases from this platform + NS1.

Reactions: Sunrise Ninja

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I used to think I wanted bc with PS2 games, but truth is they didn't age well, and the only games I want from PS3 are online games like Warhawk and MAG which are now dead. And PS1 graphics are horrible even when PS1 was out I never got it, I chose the N64, the graphics were much better. PlayStation bc starts with PS4 and 30 years from now that will still be the case.

Strongly disagree

Sly,ratchet and jak games have aged very well and are still fun to play even today

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Just build a gaming rig. It won't happen. Look at Xbox. Pretty good BC solution. Still didn't manage to move users to the platform. Only a very small vocal minority of console gamers care about backwards compatibility.

And it's also licensing hell. MS stopped bringing games on their BC program due to that reason.

Reactions: mibu no ookami
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Just build a gaming rig. It won't happen. Look at Xbox. Pretty good BC solution. Still didn't manage to move users to the platform. Only a very small vocal minority of console gamers care about backwards compatibility.

And it's also licensing hell. MS stopped bringing games on their BC program due to that reason.
i already have a gaming rig and i prefer to play on my console

• thisistheway
Reactions: toadsage44

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
BC never sold well and neither is a hardware mover.

It is niche feature.

Sony needs to heavy invest in new games… they are lacking this gen… it is by far the biggest issue with PlayStation right now…

Studios not delivering games.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Vertigo

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Unfortunately, it's too late...

SteamDeck emulates everything up to and including the PSP\PS2.

Looking at the success of PS3\X360 emulation on Rog Ally Z1, SteamDeck2 will get full and comfortable emulation of ALL releases from this platform + NS1.
Neither of these devices are are success at all.
They have very niche sales.

PCMR talks about how Steam Devk is awesome but nobody buys it 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
BC never sold well and neither is a hardware mover.

It is niche feature.

Sony needs to heavy invest in new games… they are lacking this gen… it is by far the biggest issue with PlayStation right now…

Studios not delivering games.
they can do both things at the same time, no excuse

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Too bad Sony wants you Playing old games on PC, maybe try buying an Xbox.:ROFLMAO:
Right lmao Sony don’t even take legal action against emulator who profit on there ip unlike Nintendo that scares & squash anybody who dares unlawfully using there ip

Sony working on emulator would only make sense if they didn’t PC port because then PS gamers would use or pay for the emulator on console to play old ps1, ps2 & ps3 games while still buying the remakes. But because Sony ports PS games to PC PS gamers & PC gamers just wait for the inevitable remake that coincides a PC port release & PC players just mod PS games w bonus content or graphical mod that increase graphic or changes art style to make the PC port timeless aka Sony won’t be able to further monetize those players in the future like Sony could & would if there games where true exclusive to there console just like Nintendo

• haha
Reactions: Systemshock2023

quest4441

27 Feb 2024
BC is not a big deal, most of the people harping about jak, sly cooper etc will play it for a couple of hours then go back to fortnite or GTA and forget about it the next day

• they're_right_you_know

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
No they don't need to invest more in BC.
They proved that not once but twice with the PS4 and then the PS5.

New platforms are driven by new games. The overwhelming majority of gamers want to play new games, not replay old ones. The Series X has excellent BC and the console is failing miserably because it lacks a stream of quality new games.

BC is a nice thing to have in the first couple of years of a generation but then it becomes irrelevant from the financial point of view. Sony even took out the PS2 hardware inside the PS3 as soon as they moved on from the fat models, and broke BC in the process.

• they're_right_you_know