Sony needs to heavly invest in backwards compatibility moving forward

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
BC is not a big deal, most of the people harping about jak, sly cooper etc will play it for a couple of hours then go back to fortnite or GTA and forget about it the next day

I hate to admit it, but yea this very true.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I agree, but there not gonna do it. They act like a deprived starving company that can only port so little.

I dont see why they didnt coudlnt port the PS1/PS2/PSP games they had on Vita and PS3 onto the PS4.
Lazy and unorganised when it comes to BC, just like Nintendo

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
BC is not a big deal, most of the people harping about jak, sly cooper etc will play it for a couple of hours then go back to fortnite or GTA and forget about it the next day
Its still a feature they should have.
I bought plenty of PS1/PS2 games for the PS3, Having your PS play BC games was a part of the PS features.
Most people play Fifa and Fortnite, or mobile games. Doesnt mean we have to only cater to them

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
It’s important/not important.

Because of cross gen, hardware upgrades improving performance of older games, and games being massive 200+ hour time sinks more often… ps4 support bled into ps5 to be beneficial.

… and IT IS about building digital catalogs moving forward… so their legacy software would be important just to bolster the amount of games and services available

But for hardware? Not the biggest priority but pre-ps4 emulation solutions should be sought out for in future hardware.

Nintendo had bc and emulation nailed by the community for free 30 years ago… and they still suck at it. I’ve bought Super Metroid 5 different times at least 😑

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
No need for a SteamDeck if you have a decent smartphone. I've played GameCube games on my Samsung S9 Plus.
I played PS1 games on the Xperia, but the SD gives a better experience, thanks to the more comfortable controls and screen.

Another advantage is the possibility of louder customization, with upscaling and shaders, and also longer battery life.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Drive by post to say that any data metrics Sony has to say BC doesn't sell are biased, it has so far poor selection and BC is stuffed onto the higher PS+ Tier with little else of interest to most in said Tier.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Drive by post to say that any data metrics Sony has to say BC doesn't sell are biased, it has so far poor selection and BC is stuffed onto the higher PS+ Tier with little else of interest to most in said Tier.
MS has the data and a far better BC catalogue. Less than 10% of Xbox users used it and that was YEARS ago. As time moves on and these games get even older, that number only goes down.

There's just not that many of us to use BC.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
MS has the data and a far better BC catalogue. Less than 10% of Xbox users used it and that was YEARS ago. As time moves on and these games get even older, that number only goes down.

There's just not that many of us to use BC.
But that's a small sample size of overall playerbase vs PS.
Sony ripped hardware and software BC out of later model PS3's and has been gunshy ever since.

My opinion is that if they toggled the PS+ Tiers down into 1 or 2 Tiers only, more would use the BC on PS as it stands today. Even more if Sony get some more games thrown onto the service too.

edit: Like my stranded PS3 digital PS1 games lol

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Look at the insomniac leak, great ps1 games like Ape Escape barely have any downloads.

I'm one of the biggest supporters of backwards compatibility and even platinumed Ape Escape but i have to admit the demand just isnt there from most people

Reactions: Johnic

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Look at the insomniac leak, great ps1 games like Ape Escape barely have any downloads.

I'm one of the biggest supporters of backwards compatibility and even platinumed Ape Escape but i have to admit the demand just isnt there from most people
Yes but it's biased data. Not many would go highest PS+ Tier for BC games, especially not if that highest tier doesn't have loads of other extras to make it more attractive.

I think if there was no 3rd tier and no division between game catalouge and classic catalouge, BC games would get used/sampled a lot more. Add another ding for the lost PS3 digital purchases of PS1/2 games that haven't migrated across yet in any permutation of owned/download/stream availability within current library page or on the new PStore (looking at RE2 and DC2 PS1 in particular across UK/US PStores).

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Yes but it's biased data. Not many would go highest PS+ Tier for BC games, especially not if that highest tier doesn't have loads of other extras to make it more attractive.

It's really Sony's ownnfault, they also don't advertise these classic games, Nintendo gives their ones cool trailers and we get nothing here at playstation.

BC games would get used/sampled a lot more. Add another ding for the lost PS3 digital purchases of PS1/2 games that haven't migrated across yet in any permutation of owned/download/stream availability within current library page or on the new PStore (looking at RE2 and DC2 PS1 in particular across UK/US PStores).

I have zero faith in Sony's managements competence