Sony needs to slow down its PS Plus ambitions

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
continue to deliver great games, and indie games day one on the catalog, but space the timing to put games on the service a little more, 2,5 - 3 years for a game to join the catalog of the subscription, we can't EVER, EVER again see a Horizon Forbidden West case of a game being avaliable on the catalog just 12 months later, it completely destroyed HFW sales, they went from predicted 150M+ revenue coming from sales of the game in 2023 to 35M after putting the game on the catalog last year, Guerrilla was met with layoffs recently, could all of this be avoided if they had generated 125M dollars in revenue in 2023? we don't know for sure
FpgJ1xxWAAIpmio.jpg
88f6e95aa46c03f0dda2497507214925498f6a54.jpg

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I think Sony has figured this out, the good games are going to Essential now anyways, I'm dropping the Extra tier when I'm up for renewal in December. No fault of Sony's, but the industry is just not putting put as many AAA games like in the past. Paying for my PS Plus Extra is not worth the cost when you can count on 1 hand the number of decent AAA 3rd party that will come to the service in a years time and even less 3rd party AAA that are actually good. The industry as a whole will need to produce more better AAA games for these subscription services to be worth it.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I don't think you got anything to worry about.
Considering they've noted the negative effect of doing what they did with HFW, it's pretty clear this means they're going to to repeat that. If a corporation says something was a noticeable negative outcome during their earnings report, it's generally code for: We will avoid doing this again.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Worry not, subscription services in the magnitude of Gamepass are probably going to die and Sony will go back to the old Plus model of 3 games per month.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
we can't EVER, EVER again see a Horizon Forbidden West case of a game being avaliable on the catalog just 12 months later, it completely destroyed HFW sales
FpgJ1xxWAAIpmio.jpg
88f6e95aa46c03f0dda2497507214925498f6a54.jpg

This is too good, you worry about HFW sales but at the same time go to fit girl repacks to download the game?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The new PlayStation Plus model was a failed way to try to show something to counter Gamepass when it was growing.

But now? I only see failure in both.

It is different from initial PS Plus today called Essential... it was a good move since beginning.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
The new PlayStation Plus model was a failed way to try to show something to counter Gamepass when it was growing.

It is different from initial PS Plus today called Essential... it was a good move since beginning.
and it is already impacting the way PlayStation consumers buy games if you look at Horizon Forbidden West sales prediction for 2023 Guerrilla had, dropping from 150M in revenue to 35M tells a lot

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
I think Sony has figured this out, the good games are going to Essential now anyways, I'm dropping the Extra tier when I'm up for renewal in December. No fault of Sony's, but the industry is just not putting put as many AAA games like in the past. Paying for my PS Plus Extra is not worth the cost when you can count on 1 hand the number of decent AAA 3rd party that will come to the service in a years time and even less 3rd party AAA that are actually good. The industry as a whole will need to produce more better AAA games for these subscription services to be worth it.
AAA games are not sustainable in subscriptions, period, end of discussion, it never was, this is a Microsoft problem and now they need to figure it out somehow how to maintain it without growing in subscribers cause subscriptions all around the gaming industry flattlined and budgets went up significantly, the budgets are not the same they were in 2017/2018 when they created the GamePass model, the industry is a complete different place right now

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Worry not, subscription services in the magnitude of Gamepass are probably going to die and Sony will go back to the old Plus model of 3 games per month.

hopefully, this needs to end before we see more studio shutdowns, Ninja Theory and Double FIne are both in real danger, but specially Ninja Theory, the director of the studio recently left, this is not a good sign at all, specially comparing to Tango whose director left last year.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
MS already clearly gave up on Gamepass and turned it into another Games with Gold embarassement.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
see how strange it is that more than 8 months since their acquisition closed, no Call Of Duty games are on GamePass? not even the 360 ones... yeah...
Once they saw the amount of money a new CoD releases makes in comparison to Xbox and Gamepass even the top guys at MS realized there was no future for Xbox and Gamepass.

All that is left is for them to fire Phil Spencer and slowly get the few fans they have left to accept they are just a third party publisher now.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Etifilio

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
he shouldn't even be in this site, this is a site surrounded by PlayStation fans, the threads here are 95% PlayStation Console related
Wouldn't be a problem if you had anything decent to say other than 'Fuck PC gamers'

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
You came in a thread with someone known to say the thing you don't like, just to get butthurt and complain? Some wise use of time there. See you tomorrow 😂
I'm not butthurt, I know this person makes those threads every day, but I usually ignore them. But honestly, it should be against the rules to just say 'Fuck those people', 'now, fuck those other people' on repeat, it's not nice and brings the quality down. Unless you all are okay with it then it was indeed on me for saying anything.

24 Jun 2022
I'm not butthurt, I know this person makes those threads every day, but I usually ignore them. But honestly, it should be against the rules to just say 'Fuck those people', 'now, fuck those other people' on repeat, it's not nice and brings the quality down. Unless you all are okay with it then it was indeed on me for saying anything.

Well if it really bothers you, I'm sure a mod would listen in DM and give them a warning to cut it out. I personally just laugh it off, like a lot of statements. Yes including quite a few of yours ;)

The funny part is, statements like that from him and you do have nuggets of truth to them. There are definitely portions of the PC and console fanbases that don't have much to say but troll. But you're on a forum that heavily leans PlayStation. So chances there'll be people who say extreme stuff about PC to get a laugh and rise out of PC (really, at this point Steam) fans is way higher than someone doing the same to PlayStation fans.

But, hey, you still try. Not an issue with me; again I just kinda laugh at it all now.

Reactions: Yuniac

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023

I think Premium was a complete botched mistake but Extras was a great addition since PS NOW needed to be merged sooner than later. They should have just had one EXTRA tier with all the fluff. Now it's too late to walk it back.

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz