Sony patents auto-play game feature which would allow AI to take the lead

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1713787022084.png

Recently, Sony filed a patent for an auto-play feature, seemingly giving the wheel over to AI. For those moments when you want to just watch a game rather than play it, instead of forcing your partner to play instead, AI can take control.

This patent for an auto-play option, while fitting in with other companies making the shift to AI as it becomes more integral to business models, means the way we game could change forever.

If this new feature rolls out in the upcoming PlayStation 5 Pro – or any other future console – it would use information gathered from the cloud to figure out your gaming style. Consequently, it could then simulate you playing while you sit back and watch.

It’s a massive change. Although controversial, we can see the benefits, particularly when grinding to gather resources for your Stardew Valley farm; gamers have said as much over on Reddit.

Sony patents auto-play game feature which would allow AI to take the lead​

This could change how we play video games, and we're not sure it's a change for the best​

Emma Flint
Published Apr 22, 2024, 12:33:16 GMT+1Last updated Apr 22, 2024, 12:33:14 GMT+1

If you think Sony has made controversial decisions previously, this recent move by the company may just change your perspective.
Recently, Sony filed a patent for an auto-play feature, seemingly giving the wheel over to AI. For those moments when you want to just watch a game rather than play it, instead of forcing your partner to play instead, AI can take control.
This patent for an auto-play option, while fitting in with other companies making the shift to AI as it becomes more integral to business models, means the way we game could change forever.

If this new feature rolls out in the upcoming PlayStation 5 Pro – or any other future console – it would use information gathered from the cloud to figure out your gaming style. Consequently, it could then simulate you playing while you sit back and watch.
It’s a massive change. Although controversial, we can see the benefits, particularly when grinding to gather resources for your Stardew Valley farm; gamers have said as much over on Reddit.
ADVERT

“If you really want to experience the plot and the vibe of the game but don't jive with the gameplay, and don't want to gamble on watching a streamer play it, that type of thing,” one person posited.
“Or alternatively letting it grind for you – I don't want to get my smithing up to 70 but I do want to do song of the elves type deal.”
Despite some being able to see the benefits, others aren’t sold on the idea at all. “I remember the good old days when you actually had to figure out how to do something before you patent it,” posted another gamer

Last edited by a moderator:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
This is great news! Now the new main core PlayStation audience, Chinese GaaS or F2P players, can play multiple games in parallel on multiple consoles, while doing boring daily tasks in their favorite type of games!

Very very smart!

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Playing Amazon GIF by Zesty.co

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This is great news! Now the new main core PlayStation audience, Chinese GaaS or F2P players, can play multiple games in parallel on multiple consoles, while doing boring daily tasks in their favorite type of games!

Very very smart!
😂

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Very very smart!

Trophy hunters will love this too!

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022

I would like to say that it could be an incentive for devs to have less boring, repetitive trophies, but I doubt devs give a fuck.

And because they don't give a fuck, in such cases I would actually use such a feature.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas and Box

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
This is gaming now. Games that are so bad that you pay so you don't have to play them.

The best feature about PC is that no one cares about achievements/trophies one of the worst things ever introduced in console gaming.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I can see the usages for this. WWE2K Developer makes people grind through daily reward towers or gameplay story modes to unlock things that already should be unlocked through dlc season pass unlocker etc. I never said I wanted to play your shit story modes to grind out unlockables which are needed elsewhere within the game. If I could just tell it to run through story mode with its handheld paint by numbers goals system, and walk away from system for a few hours, I'd just simply do that.

For MK Mobile, I'd much rather either play the matches myself with buttons as if it was the full version of the game, or forego playing it at all and just set AI vs AI battles, than press 3 bog standard strike animations on the face buttons.. only to then get told to input a swipe for a kick. It's needless bs work, isn't fun, and does nothing to achieve concurrent user activity/spending.

Both WWE and MK should embrace player customizability better. And less restrictions. That positive word of mouth and player-made creative works/showing them to Youtube "is" your retained playerbase, active spending and positive after-release marketing. Fucking idiotic game devs.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
As I remember the patent was filled several years ago, I already saw it. It must be an update, or old but someone found it now.

I assume they'll implement it in PS6. Let's hope they implement it sooner, so I'd be able to go to pee when playing Helldivers 2 or other games you can't pause.

I think there's a lot of potential here regarding accesibility topics, as could be the case for disabled or unskilled people, and also for lazy ones, or people who wants to enjoy a more passive, cinematic audience (like when people watches gameplay videos in Twitch or Youtube). It also would be helpful for cases where you get stuck somewhere.

If they really achieve to properly match your gameplay style via AI this would be really helpful for competitive MP games, specially when they have a low user count: this time bots could represent real users matching their playstyle and skill when they aren't online to play even since months or years ago. And well, could use that data to make additional bots to the point you could play online MP games offline even when servers get shut down in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
I am sure I will get down voted for this. BUT, I would use this for parts that I just can't "git gud". Let's say I bought No Rest for the Wicked or Demon Souls 3 and I struggled with some bosses and I wanted help. If I could get AI to help me past those, I would love it. Otherwise, the games just get deleted from my hardrive because there are games out there that I am just not good at but they look/seem like great games if I could beat them.

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
I'm not averse to the technology 'cause the older I get and the more my body physically fails me the more I know there comes a day when I simply cannot do what I want in games. It's already happened with FPS and stick aiming, I cannot form smooth, rounded arcs with a right joypad stick - there is a measure of pain as I move the stick from left to right.

But auto-play in grinding games is bullshit....

Although controversial, we can see the benefits, particularly when grinding to gather resources for your Stardew Valley farm
Burn the world to make numbers go up and eff-all actual produced? That's no better than crypto mining.
If you can't be arsed playing your game because it's too tedious you're playing the wrong game, hopefully that's not what birthed with "innovation", lol.