Sony Pictures reportedly in talks to buy Paramount. |UP|Sony Makes $26 Billion All-Cash Offer for Paramount.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
@Yurinka , I thought you said that Sony had only 15 dollars and ten cent for acquisitions for the next three years?
No, I never said that.

I said they had left -as I remember around $140M- of budget for acquisitions + investments + stock repurchases for the mid-term plan period (3 years) that ended in March 31 2024. Which was totally true.

They will have a different budget for the 3 years period that started a month ago. That budget will be announced in their fiscal report to be made later this month.

I also said that Sony mentioned -I think it was a year ago- that they didn't expect to make big acquisitions in the short term, I don't remember if they were mentioning specifically gaming for that.

They also were going to spend $10B on acquiring Zee for Sony Pictures but that acquisition failed. So maybe they plan to spend that money now instead to get their part of Paramount Global.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
With MS pushing 3rd party MS is already gearing up for there next gaming publisher this time there won’t be much backlash from government since MS is going full 3rd party thoe technically there games exclusive to there subscription so it might aswell be the same as locking it behind & hoarding ip into 1 pie
pretty much, yeah... but for some here Sony doesn't need to acquire any publisher, let MS, Saudis and Tencent own everything, then in a future where subscriptions will be the norm for gaming and consoles no longer exist, PlayStation will be the Paramount+ or the Peacock of the streaming devices cause they'll only have their own IPs

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Your argument is historically they haven’t used Sony pictures IP.

First they didn’t have much synergy in the last. Second they largely avoided licensed games in the past.

You now have larger teams.

A digital storefront and an apparatus to sell games in larger numbers.
As I remember Sony makes Ghostbusters games, and as I remember they did include Ghostbusters content in minimum PS Home, LBP and Destiny 2.

But other than that, as I remember normally they don't use Sony Pictures IPs for gaming.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Worst move in the history of Sony, I hope they end up having to sell PlayStation. Complete morons, going all in on movies in 2024, when that market has completely collapsed and proven to be extremely hard to navigate with no chance of ever recovering.

Remember when Yurinka kept writing wall of text about how Sony had no money to make acquisitions. That guy should be perma banned for talking so much nonsense.

Instead of solidifying their position in games, now they set themselves to compete with Netflix and to try and fill empty seats in empty theaters.
Not only that Sony will have to do a lot of restructuring Paramount. Paramount will get dissolved or sold of like Hulu I can see Sony selling portion of it like Paramount+, CBS & other networks that don’t produce franchises & license content to 3rd party.

Yurinka would write text of walls of pure nonsense on how Sony shouldn’t buy gaming publisher while other competitors has shown to be interested in buying multiple gaming publishers & the like of MS who bought 4 gaming publisher preparing to buy more gaming publisher & solidify MS in gaming.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Sony won’t even get major ip like Transformer & GIJoe after acquiring paramount they will need to buy Hasbro to own the franchise & get games mixed w cross media synergies.

Sony will only get TMNT & SpongeBob other like Sonic, Transformer Paramount don’t even own or control.

Sony is better buying WB who’s also rumored to be selling soon. Buying WB will actually get you major ip WB owns plus a better subscription that’s making profit. Paramount+ is like the bottom of the barrel streaming service. Owning the Halo streaming rights also is worthless that tv show has been destroyed in gaming & now cross media
The last time it was reported warner bros was going to sell of their gaming decision they weren't including any IP it's not a good purchase in the slightest

Reactions: mibu no ookami

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
I mean, we're mostly gamers here, not movie buffs. It's natural that most won't care about some movie franchises, but will care about 5 other companies spending billions on acquiring IPs. And it's not just having access to them in the future, it;s about preserving the quality. MS already shat on most of the new IPs they bought.
So, what, Sony shouldn't give a shit about itself as a whole because it's not what you want? If you really care about a brand's relevance in the future, you don't get to pick and choose what parts are important like you're in a shop.

As for MS: they shat the bed with the IPs they made, too, so it hardly bears comparing.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Yes, actually.
Sony least profitable division Sony pictures getting 26 billion but PS division that makes the most & is the most important product that Sony has only getting 3.6 in 4 years to buy mid Bungie which will likely not see the returns till Marathon & more leaning till Destiny 3

Reactions: kuzon

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Wouldn’t Fox give Sony StarWars & Marvel the power Sony would get in films & animation with those 2 ip alone & having full on Star Wars & Marvel games exclusive would be a gigantic shift in power imo
No. Fox never owned Star Wars or Marvel.

Disney bought those before buying Fox and shit the bed with them as well.

I don't think sony owns the breaking bad IP do they
They use Breaking Bad when promoting Sony corporate stuff, since they made it. Even if they don't own the IP it wouldn't cost that much to license it.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Neversummer

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Doubt any of them except maybe square would be open to an acquisition right now & there's no point in aqauring them
Any company is open to acquisition for the right price. Do you think investor at Capcom or SE care as long as they make money?

If Paramount refuse Sony cash offer it is not out of principle it is because they think they are somehow worth more.

Disney problem was going woke & censorship & Sony is heading the same direction
Their problem was losing focus by growing to fast and mismanaging everything that they bought over the years.

Reactions: Puff
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
@Yurinka , I thought you said that Sony had only 15 dollars and ten cent for acquisitions for the next three years?
I have said it to that, 44B cash doesn't disappear. Remember when Sony allocated 44B for M&A? This must be part of it. I wonder if this still happening?
Well I deeply hope so. 😭

Reactions: Neversummer

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
So, what, Sony shouldn't give a shit about itself as a whole because it's not what you want? If you really care about a brand's relevance in the future, you don't get to pick and choose what parts are important like you're in a shop.

As for MS: they shat the bed with the IPs they made, too, so it hardly bears comparing.
Just cause MS shat the bed w Xbox doesn’t mean PS has to ignore other competitors like Nintendo, Steam, Apple, Google, Amazon, Chinese & Saudis.

We need to stop acting as PS only competitor in gaming is Xbox which is a very low bar to even compare. PS isn’t far from being in the same position as Xbox.

Xbox console could be dead completely gone & people will still compare how PS is doing better then Xbox while ignoring other competitors that have better or stronger positions in gaming/hardware then PS themselves

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This is enough to buy WB a better purchase.

Also they could’ve bought Capcom & Square Enix to have a real chance in competing against Nintendo.

This is enough money to buy Kadokawa/Fromsoft & Square Enix & Hoyoverse which converse Sony in multiple markets
2023 annual revenue
And to acquire Nintendo + SE + Kadokawa + MiHoyo + Capcom (who most likely wouldn't want to sell or could be blocked by regulators) would cost way more than $26B.

This is enough for PS to actually have an output that can compete w Nintendo.
SIE/PS already outperforms Nintendo, doesn't need acquisitions to continue outperforming them.

I have said it to that, 44B cash doesn't disappear. Remember when Sony allocated 44B for M&A? This must be part of it. I wonder if this still happening?
Well I deeply hope so. 😭
Sony had a budget for investments + acquisitions + stock repurchases to be spent in a 3 years period that ended this March. They assigned almost everything to different things.

As part of this budget, Sony Pictures was going to acquire the Indian giant Zee for $10B but that acquisition failed. So Sony Pictures has $10B in cash to spend, not counting extra money Sony Pictures could also get from the budget of the 3 years period that started in April (we still don't know its size).

This acquisition would be made by Sony+Apollo, meaning Sony wouldn't pay $26B. Maybe Sony only pays $10B or a bit more. Let's say the half, $13B. It's fair to assume that Apollo's plan is to help Sony acquire Paramount, and then wait to see Sony reducing the costs and redundancies highly improving its profitability, and maybe also their revenue thanks to many possible synergies, making Paramount way more valuable than it's now. Once achieved, Apollo would sell their part of Paramount to Sony, for a higher price than the one they'd pay now as part of these $26B.

Last edited:
Reactions: Would_you_kindly