Sony PlayStation should purchase Implicit Conversions for the Backwards Compatibility program

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
They already work for Sony, they did the PS1/PS2/PSP emulator we have in PS4 and PS5. Sony can hire them if they need them again.

As could be to further improve the current emulators -maybe adding better crt filters and fixing a few bugs- or let's say maybe in the future to make a potential future Vita emulator (maybe PS5/PS6 only?) or to port these emulators to PC or mobile.

I don't see the point on acquiring them. Pretty likely the PS4/PS5 BC for PS6 will be done with the console hardware, in the same way PS5 does the PS4 one. So no emulator will be needed there.
why can't Sony purchase a team to deliver stuff to their console? why with you guys it always needs to be about PC and Mobile? seriously, having a backwards compatibility team internally would do wonders for their emulation, there is a long, long way to go still, there are hundreds of titles that can still be ported

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
That you saying it... I mean I'm trying to find any confirmation of that but I can't.
I will try it to see if I can spot if it is really a new emulator.

Because from what I see for now it looks to have the same features as the PS2 for PS4 emulation.
it doesn't, try playing Bully and compare it to Sly Cooper for example, there are no rewind/quick save/video filters/up-rendering options on Bully, for example

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
it doesn't, try playing Bully and compare it to Sly Cooper for example, there are no rewind/quick save/video filters/up-rendering options on Bully, for example
I will try it.

Anyway like I said the new emulation is really bad so I'm not sure if I want it being the norm.
And Implicit Conversions sites talks about a better emulation that what you actually find in the games released... that make a bit confusing.
But I don't care at all about the BC so I'm fine with whatever happens.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
I will try it.

Anyway like I said the new emulation is really bad so I'm not sure if I want it being the norm.
And Implicit Conversions sites talks about a better emulation that what you actually find in the games released... that make a bit confusing.
But I don't care at all about the BC so I'm fine with whatever happens.
for PS2 it is, that's why i said it needs improvement and work, but for PSP and PS1 titles it's fantastic and on pair with what we have on PCs

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
it's because they have no internal team to do it, we should be talking about PS3 emulation rn, not PS2 and PSP, hundreds of PS1, PS2 and PSP titles should already be avaliable on PS4/5

They have enough money to make a bigger team. PS3 and Vita had a way bigger catalogue of PS1/PS2/PSP games. And yes PS3 should be here. Lets hope its soon.
Nintendo also abandoned all there virtual console from Wii/WiiU.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Etifilio

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
i don't understand how a thread about backwards compatibility is a doom post, these people need to use the ignore buttom more often, i surely do
Any thread that even implies any Sony decision isn't optimum to your enjoyment is a doom post. If you are not here to blindly cheer Sony your are a doomer, welcome to the club, there are half a dozen of us.

If Sony doesn't care about backward compatibility how dare you to care?

If Sony says PlayStation is the best place to play, it is the best place to play.

You need to behave just like a blue variant of an Xbox fanatic, cheer as what you like turns into what you previously mocked.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Any tread that even implies any Sony decision isn't optimum to your enjoyment is a doom post. If you are not here to blindly cheer Sony your are a doomer, welcome to the club, there are half a dozen of us.

If Sony doesn't care about backward compatibility how dare you to care?

If Sony says PlayStation is the best place to play, it is the best place to play.

You need to behave just like a blue variant of an Xbox fanatic.
be careful, you can't speak facts and express valid concerns about the future of playstation, the sony business corporate slaves are gonna hit you with a bible size text of how your view is wrong and how amazing this is for playstation and the industry even tho we know the results are the same, cannibalization.

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
be careful, you can't speak facts and express valid concerns about the future of playstation, the sony business corporate slaves are gonna hit you with a bible size text of how your view is wrong and how amazing this is for playstation and the industry even tho we know the results are the same, cannibalization.
Chatgpt is on ignore I'm safe from having to read his nonsense.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zzero and Etifilio
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Chatgpt is on ignore I'm safe from having to read his nonsense.
i ignore him too lmao, only saw his reply because someone else quoted it, imagine being such a corporate slave to defend the whole diminishment of the platform you play on, imagine supporting a hardware manufacturer and storefront provider constantly supporting the growth of SteamOS and Windows PC gaming more than PlayStation / PlayStation Store, like... make it make sense.

Reactions: Zzero

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
i ignore him too lmao, only saw his reply because someone else quoted it, imagine being such a corporate slave to defend the whole diminishment of the platform you play on, imagine supporting a hardware manufacturer and storefront provider constantly supporting the growth of SteamOS and Windows PC gaming more than PlayStation / PlayStation Store, like... make it make sense.
They got me, just bought a Steam Deck OLED today, I'll never pay PS+ again. I'm all for ports now, port everything for all I care, make Switch games, crossgen, Remake Spider-man, remaster TLoU Pt 2, whatever. My PS5 is just for single player games with physical media now and I only kept it because it's better than an Xbox. This is what they wanted so this is what they are going to get more and more.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
They got me, just bought a Steam Deck OLED today, I'll never pay PS+ again. I'm all for ports now, port everything for all I care, make Switch games, crossgen, Remake Spider-man, remaster TLoU Pt 2, whatever. My PS5 is just for single player games with physical media now and I only kept it because it's better than an Xbox. This is what they wanted so this is what they are going to get more and more.
so you got your native PlayStation portable lol, i'm going the same route, Steam on PC with my RTX 4070 Ti and Steam Deck on the go is the future, better resolutions, frame-rates, free multiplayer, no $10 upgrades, cheaper games, Steam is all in on the hardware business with the Deck, they'll launch future iterations and PlayStation games are gonna run better and better throughout the years

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Rewind and quick save exist on pre-2000 games emulators to make up for that era's game design. I don't remember Bully or R&C being relentless death machines like nearly all NES titles were. So why care about or want them? Or, otherwise, why are we not demanding that crap of modern releases?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
why can't Sony purchase a team to deliver stuff to their console? why with you guys it always needs to be about PC and Mobile? seriously, having a backwards compatibility team internally would do wonders for their emulation, there is a long, long way to go still, there are hundreds of titles that can still be ported
These guys don't port the PS1/PS2/PSP classic games, they only make the emulators and Sony's consoles already has the emulators they can have. With that done, later Sony or the publishers of the games get their old games, do all the required paperwork, fill the store metadata and put them in the emulator and sells them in the store.

So the only job these guys could have could maybe a Vita emulator, which I'm not sure if it would be technically possible to run it on a PS5 (and even less in a PS4). I assume that like a PS3 emulator, it wouldn't be possible to run it at full speed, bug free with the most demanding games. And well, most key Vita games already are remastered or remade -or were crossgen- with PS4 (or PS5), so I think it they won't consider profitable to fund an emulator for just a handful Vita games (even if I'd love to see titles like Killzone Mercenary, Uncharted Golden Abyss, -this one somewhat included in the remastered collection- Wipeout 2048).

So as I mentioned, before, in console pretty likely they can only improve the already existing emulators, maybe adding better display -particularly CRT- filters.

Other than that, they don't have other emulators to do, so would be at Sony sitting doing nothing. Unless as I said would be emulators for PC and mobile. Not something I want, I was just trying to find new projects they could do.

But well, they could continue as contractors for these improvements or new emulators. I don't think that their job would be different if acquired by Sony.

Last edited: