Sony President Hiroki Totoki : Acquisition related costs will be increasing by 20% YoY in this next fiscal year.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
According to Wikipedia these were closed this FY:

15 July 2022BungieVideo game
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
USA
$3,700,000,000Sony Interactive Entertainment[110][111]
18 July 2022Repeat.ggEsports
USA
Sony Interactive Entertainment[112]
4 August 2022Right StufFilm, television, e-commerce
USA
Sony Pictures Entertainment/Aniplex[113]
29 August 2022Savage Game StudiosVideo game
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
GER
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
FIN
Sony Interactive Entertainment[114]
25 October 2022PixomondoVisual effects
USA
Sony Pictures Entertainment[115]
7 November 2022Beyond SportsSoftware visualization
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
NED
Sony Corporation[116]
9 March 2023Above BoardMusic
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
UK
Sony Music Group[117]
20 April 2023Firewalk StudiosVideo game
USA
Sony Interactive Entertainment[118]

If they are talking after closing vs announced, then we could see a pretty big purchase (many small purchases) between now and March 2024. They should have ~5B left from their budget to spend on acquisitions.
Repeat.gg?

Just looked it up, pure garbage. Worst than buying Evo while not having a first party fighting game.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Like I said, let’s not jump into conclusions.
This was published today:

Increase of 20% of their acquisitions. How should this be possible with only $150 Million???
They will allocate another budget on IR day.

Well, that is nothing. So we should expect no acquisitions until when?

There is also this quote:
"To grow over the mid to long term, we will continue to invest.
However, in the short term, we aim to carefully assess even more than before the valuations and timing of investments givent the recent changes in the market environment."

In 8:28 of the video he says 'Expenses related to acquisitions of FY2022 including Bungie Inc. will impact operating income of the current fiscal year are expected to increase aproximatedly 20% YoY to be 65B yen'.

He's means that previous acquisitions still will have future extra costs (as retention bonuses for Bungie), not that they'll spend more money on new acquisitions.

More info here where I show the related slides where they talk about that 20% and everything else related to acquisitions.

Last edited:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Secure FromSoftware and let's call it a day with all this acquisitions shit. If MS ain't buying anymore publishers I rather if Sony doesn't either, let them keep the focus on their own games, at most buy some shares in some of the Japanese publishers to have some control over them just in case.

I doubt SE/SEGA/Capcom/Bandai Namco are an option for MS. EA and Take Two definitely would be blocked. If MS want to go after Ubisoft or CDProject, let them.

I wouldn't mind a Sony Nintendo Merger, I would love to Have Nintendo games exclusive to the playstation

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Well, that is nothing. So we should expect no acquisitions until when?
They can do stock manipulation to buy a company if they need to.
Stock exchanging is more likely of they go for a Japanese company that is majority owned by the same banks that majority own Sony.

Credit: William R. Aguilar

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I wouldn't mind a Sony Nintendo Merger, I would love to Have Nintendo games exclusive to the playstation
No need now that MS was put in their place. Let Nitnendo and Sony keep doing their thing, there is hardly any overlap.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They can do stock manipulation to buy a company if they need to.
Stock exchanging is more likely of they go for a Japanese company that is majority owned by the same banks that majority own Sony.

Credit: William R. Aguilar
If desired Sony could acquire paying in multiple ways, but they decide to pay their acquisitions with a dedicated budget they have, that they revised yesterday to make it smaller.

Sony could also have make the budget they use for acquisitions and investments bigger if desired instead of smaller. If they don't acquire won't be because they (or the company targets they're interested in) don't want to do so.

Not because they can't or don't have money.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Honestly what do you want to prove?
William R. Aguilar is doing his living from it. Your are just speculating and I would rather believe the words of someone reputable who is knowing what he talks about. It’s not a shame to admit to not understand everything.

AuraCuba

28 Apr 2023
I've always thought that in the event that MS manages to get their hands on ABK, then Sony would most likely sweep up Square Enix, especially since they've become very closely intertwined in the last 5 or so years.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters