Sony say inclusion of their first party onto PS+ has had a big (negative) effect on traditional sales

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Screenshot_2023-12-20_065537.png

db12133ed4b80a082aaa684613a6d2e3.png

Horizon Forbidden West was selling aligned with Horizon Zero Dawn year 1, and immediately flatlined once put onto subscription.

That revenue will further crate now that they're giving it away on PC to pirates soon.

Jim Ryan continues to try to recreate Xbox's decline onto Playstation.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I said this and people disagreed without any actual argument. I'm glad now that we have conclusive evidence.

Sony is truly stupid

They call PC/Steam a competitor but continue to put their games on there.
They know PS+ inclusion is cannibalizing sales but they continue to put their games on it.

They put their own future and profitability at risk just to follow a model that's only resulted in failure for Xbox for 6 years straight.
They see Nintendo breaking records and being the most profitable by sticking with the traditional model and instead choose to emulate the last place losers that are about to exit the gaming business. How anyone can still say he was a good CEO is beyond me, the Jim worshippers are honestly worse than Phil's.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
If they are charging for multiplayer and cloud save you might as well get at least PS+ Extra.

With so many games to play it's pretty easy for a game you actually want to play to show up on these services before you even had a chance to get it.

PS+ is a big incentive for anyone to buy less games, it also aggravates the problem of waiting for the price to drop, if you wait too much you'll be tempted to wait even longer so that you don't end up paying for a game that will show up on PS+. It gets even worse if you are someone who buys games digitally.

They were way too aggressive with how quickly they released HFW on PS+.

Last edited:

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022

Horizon Forbidden West was selling aligned with Horizon Zero Dawn year 1, and immediately flatlined once put onto subscription.

That revenue will further crate now that they're giving it away on PC to pirates soon.

Um yeah only he didn’t. Ppl keep saying this but ps is more profitable than it has ever been. Also ps had a much large install base when hzd launch compared to hfw and no supply issues. Analyzing these numbers with proper context doesnt give the whole picture.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I wonder why they continue to release games on PS+ & PC when there’s clear negative effects. First party games should only hit PS+ after 5 years once the game reach max sells, the only games that should go to PC should be live service, F2P & mobile games. There following Xbox strategy that have killed Xbox consoles.

Wonder if the next CEO will follow suit w PC release (imo nixxes should be positioned as a Bluepoint remake/remaster studio) Nixxes should remake Infamous 1 & 2 to PS5, should easily sell 5 million if it’s a Bluepoint style remake achieving the same goal & income as the PC port without any negative effects.

This also confirms that outside GAAS games they won’t go PC day 1 unless there dumb & continue to ignore the clear flatline negative effects.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It was obvious to everyone. I was shocked when it reached PS+ so early, I didn't believe the Billikun leak until Sony made a blog post.

I wonder where the pressure came from to put it on PS+? It made no sense to kill the sales so fast after selling 20 millions of the first.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I wonder why they continue to release games on PS+ & PC when there’s clear negative effects. First party games should only hit PS+ after 5 years once the game reach max sells, the only games that should go to PC should be live service, F2P & mobile games. There following Xbox strategy that have killed Xbox consoles.

Wonder if the next CEO will follow suit w PC release (imo nixxes should be positioned as a Bluepoint remake/remaster studio) Nixxes should remake Infamous 1 & 2 to PS5, should easily sell 5 million if it’s a Bluepoint style remake achieving the same goal & income as the PC port without any negative effects.

This also confirms that outside GAAS games they won’t go PC day 1 unless there dumb & continue to ignore the clear flatline negative effects.

Spot on.

Pc needs to stop completely outside Bungie and one or two GAAS.

Then PSplus must be reserved only for when exclusives underperform massively or once the game is selling nothing anymore.

They also need to consider more price points for new releases, ratchet and clank ra would have sold a lot more if it had been 50 to 60 I stead of 70 to 80.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Way to fucking early to have dropped HFW on PS plus only a year after release. What were they smoking? Dumb ass move. Hopefully they learned from this and wait a couple of more years until they dropped the games on Plus. Jesus. Smh.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

I believe it's because they were worried at the amount of money Xbox was putting behind gamepass and they wanted to head it off at the pass. Take a short term loss to prevent a long term failure of their business model - because let's face it, if MS successfully trains a large portion of the consumer base to not pay for games, Sony is in trouble. And it looks like Sony was extremely successful- gamepass stalled out and Xbox sales are in the gutter.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

It's also worth mentioning this is an estimate projection and not real sales data, notice includes future 2024 estimated results and that HFW was released less than 2 years ago so they don't have 2 years of sales.

And beyond that, this is an even more incomplete picture: they sacrificed game sales to bump gamesub revenue.

This part only shows the estimated sacrificed sales, but there's the missing part of the bumped gamesub revenue to see if it compensated enough or not.

On top of this, another reason of including it on PS+ is to mazimize the amount of people who was able to buy the game's DLC. Because in fact, Insomniac posted there that they are working on a "booster content" (DLC?) that they want to have ready for the moment they include it in PS Plus:

Screenshot_2023-12-20_072000.png

I wonder why they continue to release games on PS+ & PC when there’s clear negative effects.
SIE generating record revenue and profit.
PS hardware selling record numbers,
PS game sub generating record gevenue.
PS first party games getting sales records for their studios.
PS5 only sequels of games ported to PC break sales record.

There are no negative effects, if something there are positive effects on console. Plus PC provides them hundreds of millions of dollars in profit per year, a number that keeps growing year after year as they keep releasing games.

Last edited:

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Spot on.

Pc needs to stop completely outside Bungie and one or two GAAS.

Then PSplus must be reserved only for when exclusives underperform massively or once the game is selling nothing anymore.

They also need to consider more price points for new releases, ratchet and clank ra would have sold a lot more if it had been 50 to 60 I stead of 70 to 80.
All PS GAAS games including mobile games should release on PS, PC & Mobile simultaneously there’s no issue there. But releasing HFW on PS+ flatline the game (I don’t even think HFW will sell more then HZD) the HFW PC release will further flatline the game on PS it will also remove any reason for a PC player to buy a PS or buy the game on PS it’s all negative effects for PS will bolstering PC for MS it makes sense since MS controls Windows.

Nixxes should be positioned as a remake/remaster studio they would bring the same profit if not more + adding additional positive value w more exclusive to PS then the PC ports which is negative value. Infamous 1 & 2 remake, R&C HD remaster, SOCOM 3 remake Sony can revisit these franchise that would seem as safe bets & see if they resonate w current fanbase & if those are major successes Sony can fully invest & green light a Infamous 3/reboot, SOCOM reboot etc

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
All PS GAAS games including mobile games should release on PS, PC & Mobile simultaneously there’s no issue there. But releasing HFW on PS+ flatline the game (I don’t even think HFW will sell more then HZD) the HFW PC release will further flatline the game on PS it will also remove any reason for a PC player to buy a PS or buy the game on PS it’s all negative effects for PS will bolstering PC for MS it makes sense since MS controls Windows.

Nixxes should be positioned as a remake/remaster studio they would bring the same profit if not more + adding additional positive value w more exclusive to PS then the PC ports which is negative value. Infamous 1 & 2 remake, R&C HD remaster, SOCOM 3 remake Sony can revisit these franchise that would seem as safe bets & see if they resonate w current fanbase & if those are major successes Sony can fully invest & green light a Infamous 3/reboot, SOCOM reboot etc

Precisely, I really think ports and remasters of the most wanted PS3 games would outperform any PC ports.

It also enriches the PS5 and adds reasons to buy it.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I believe it's because they were worried at the amount of money Xbox was putting behind gamepass and they wanted to head it off at the pass. Take a short term loss to prevent a long term failure of their business model - because let's face it, if MS successfully trains a large portion of the consumer base to not pay for games, Sony is in trouble. And it looks like Sony was extremely successful- gamepass stalled out and Xbox sales are in the gutter.
True most likely this is the reason. Sony should definitely buy publisher, multiple if not that especially seeing there worry on MS “spending Sony out of business” more then Xbox being competitive by creating better games, seems Sony is more worry that MS loss lead strategy w GP can train & lead consumer in general to not buy games on PS flip the market & have consumers asking for games day 1 on a subscription which Sony said wasn’t viable for them

Reactions: Shadow2027

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
IMO there is no reason PS shouldn't port games to PC for extra revenue. But the games shouldn't come the same gen, only a gen behind. During ps5 gen they should ONLY port ps1-ps4 games. If you want ps5 games, you're going to have to wait til ps6.

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023

Agreed on GAAS and mobile. Purpose for those games is more about creating more profit to support the single player titles.

Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Precisely, I really think ports and remasters of the most wanted PS3 games would outperform any PC ports.

It also enriches the PS5 and adds reasons to buy it.
The PS5 remasters/remakes of PS3/PS4 games apparently didn't perform specially well.

I'd personally more than welcome remasters or remakes of Uncharted Nathan Drake Collecction, PS5 & PSVR2 Wipeout Omega Collection, Motorstorm Collection ir Killzone Collections. But I think Uncharted could be the only one performing decently in sales.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The PS5 remasters/remakes of PS3/PS4 games apparently didn't perform specially well.

I'd personally more than welcome remasters or remakes of Uncharted Nathan Drake Collecction, PS5 & PSVR2 Wipeout Omega Collection, Motorstorm Collection ir Killzone Collections. But I think Uncharted could be the only one performing decently in sales.

Infamous games, killzone games, Resistance trilogy and third party games like MGS Rising....

It's not that they would all be massive sellers but maybe one or two would.

But it's the way it would build out the catalog and provide lots of content for psplus without requiring to put new games in there....

Also keeping the games accessible into the next generations...so in the long term, they would make more money and attract more people to ps5 and 6.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Infamous games, killzone games, Resistance trilogy and third party games like MGS Rising....

It's not that they would all be massive sellers but maybe one or two would.

But it's the way it would build out the catalog and provide lots of content for psplus without requiring to put new games in there....

Also keeping the games accessible into the next generations...so in the long term, they would make more money and attract more people to ps5 and 6.
I see that a few of them may be remastered or remade more than potential sales now, to keep them as catalog to fill some niches as did with Ratchet or Sackboy Aventures both in PS5 and PC and also having in mind potential adaptations to movies or tv shows of any of these series.

And also having in mind to use them to also fill catalog and niches in PS+ too, and not only for PS5 but for future bc PS6, PS7 plus expanding via cloud to mobile, smart tvs etc.

Regarding MGSR or MGS4, that MGS collection has an upcoming unannounced second part.

• Shake

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
No sh!t johnny!

I Bought PS+ Extra for 12 months on special before the price hike and I have not bought a single game for my PS5 this year. No wonder they are raising the prices... When you spend $300 millions on a game it's worth quite a lot.

Mind you, I'm not renewing because I play only a couple of games each year... but then again with the price of retail games in Canada that may be the least bad option so that both me and my kids can play a variety of games.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah and Bryank75