Sony should make more noise about its backwards compatibility with PS1, PS2 and PSP

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
they barely mention it, and the process has been very slow even for PS1 classics, remember the Regina Dino Crisis banner?
FTj_QmSaMAEo8tB.jpg

where is Dino Crisis 1 and 2 on PS5? we have the director's cut of RE1, but where are classic Resident Evil 2, 3 and Survivor? there is so much potential on the table for backwards compatibility on PlayStation consoles, it's very disappointing that Sony doesn't offer disc compatibility on PS4/5, imagine inserting a Dino Crisis or Resident Evil PS1 disc into your PS5 or PS4 and it recognizing it and dowloading it? that would be fantastic for preservation

Reactions: Box
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
and they need to work on PS3 and PSVita emulation too, there are too much content still stuck on these platforms, it's a CRIME that we have no access to most of Ratchet & Clank games on modern PlayStation consoles, we can't even play God Of War 1, 2, Chains Of Olympus on modern consoles
myiv4mdj9jq51.jpg

Reactions: Box

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
and they need to work on PS3 and PSVita emulation too,
Decent PS3 is not technically possible in PS5 according to the main dev of the main PS3 emulator for PC and one of the Sony main engine programmers for PS3. Also, most main titles already were remastered or remade for PS4/PS5.

Regarding Vita, PS5 doesn't have back touchpad (they could emulate maybe PS Vita TV versions) and most main PS Vita games were remastered or remade for PS4/PS5 or already got a PS4 version back then.

Regarding the main PS3 and Vita titles still not available natively in PS4/PS5 (even remastered or remade), I think it would be better to remaster or remade them.

they barely mention it, and the process has been very slow even for PS1 classics, remember the Regina Dino Crisis banner?
FTj_QmSaMAEo8tB.jpg

where is Dino Crisis 1 and 2 on PS5? we have the director's cut of RE1, but where are classic Resident Evil 2, 3 and Survivor? there is so much potential on the table for backwards compatibility on PlayStation consoles, it's very disappointing that Sony doesn't offer disc compatibility on PS4/5, imagine inserting a Dino Crisis or Resident Evil PS1 disc into your PS5 or PS4 and it recognizing it and dowloading it? that would be fantastic for preservation
We know they were working on new emulators, hired people for them after the most recent improvements in the PS1/PSP emulators. I assume that somewhere in the near future they'll also release PS1/PS2/PSP classics for PC and mobile once they release their PSN stores there. Maybe they are saving games to release them then.

Or maybe they will release improved emulator of the existing ones. Or the most likely: the 3rd party companies and Sony don't sell a shit of the emulated games and think that the effort to release more isn't worth it.

But well, if you ask my personal opinion I'd release the whole PS1/PS2/PSP Capcom and Sony catalog there.

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Not until they start actually start showing respect to the PS2 catalog. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
and they need to work on PS3 and PSVita emulation too, there are too much content still stuck on these platforms, it's a CRIME that we have no access to most of Ratchet & Clank games on modern PlayStation consoles, we can't even play God Of War 1, 2, Chains Of Olympus on modern consoles
myiv4mdj9jq51.jpg
Into The Nexus had NO business being a PS3 fall 2013 release. Such an overlooked game. It should have been a PS4 launch game.

Reactions: Nhomnhom and Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Nobody actually cares, including Sony.

As much as I love these ps1 and psp games (Platinumed Ape Escape) , you can see on the reviews that barely anyone is playing and downloading these. Both Jumping Flash and Ape Escape barely have any reviews and those were big games back in the day.

hopefully they add this one next
daxter_psp_playstation_portable_usado_3209_1_fcef47cce3d976c564b96bbf3a98a200.jpg

It's weird that they added the lost frontier before Daxter, not even R&C Size Matters at the very least if they had issues with Readyatdawn games.

The selection has been really bizzare for a while now.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
FTj_QmSaMAEo8tB.jpg

No reason to. Only a minority of games care about those classic games. Same reason Xbox stopped emphasizing bc with the Og Xbox and 360 is because few gamers engage with that content. I remember when some data firm did a study bc on Xbox and said the numbers were it pissed off the Xbox communityand Xbox when they said only 1.6 % of gamers used it. Data from ps shows only 6% of ps gamers use it. 6% is not an insignificant number but that's not something something to write home about. Also Xbox doesn't offer disc compatibility. Putting an Xbox oh or 360 disc in a series x doesn't run the game natively. The disc serves more like a key to access a digital copy of the game. No console platform offers 100% bc because it's expensive and isn't worth the effort and it doesn't boost user engagement that much. Most gamers font care about pre 8th games.

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Yes let make a PS5. To talk and sell PS1, PS2 games. Makes sense. Let's not progress ioth modern co troll and new tech after spending millions of R&D. Makes sense.

They have the data aint no one messing with these old games. The fact MG1 collection didn't have crazy numbers is telling. Just move on

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If anything they should improve their emulators to make these games also available on mobile.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Exactly. Barely 10% of plus is premium and they don't even use the cloud feature, let alone the retro feature.
The game selection is so bad as well and they are extremely slow to add games. People that actually care about these old games can't just rely on PlayStation official solution because many of the most popular games aren't available.

I'm all for them improving their PS1/PSP/PS2 as a way to preserve their own legacy but I know it's never going to be a big draw and I don't trust Sony to ever do it the right way.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think once the game selection is better they should.

Atm the attempt is pretty lame. They have probably like 2 people working on it…. They need to do alot more. The Vita had more PS1/PS2/PSP games, its embarrassing for Sony

Im all for it, I really want more PS1/PS2/PSP games. I need to do alot more and I will give them money lol

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
FTj_QmSaMAEo8tB.jpg

RE Survivor is not much of a classic if you ask me lol.
Either way I think sony might be afraid that if they make too much noise, people might start asking "what about ps3 and VITA games?" and they really dont have an answer for that.