SONY/SIE: The Balance Of Chasing Margins, Multiplat Expansion, And Maximizing The Console

What areas do you want Sony to focus more on (select all that apply)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Whaat I'd do for the next 5 years:
  • Focus on PS, but also in PC, mobile, cloud because revenue and margins must grow
  • 1P & 3P exclusiveness:
    • Some SP 1P and 3P titles continue being PS only (no PC) forever
    • Some Sony GaaS day one also on PC and mobile
    • Some Sony SP games ported to PC 3 years or later after original release (the original, not counting remakes/remasters)
    • (Once margins improved) continue growing all their existing teams to help them work in more games at the same time
  • PC+mobile PSN store & launcher:
    • All games published here and in other PSN platforms (PS, PC, mobile, cloud) must feature crossbuy+crosssave+crossplay in all of them (not with Steam or Epic)
    • Trophies, cloud saves and friends shared between PS, PC, mobile and cloud
    • Includes the remote play, PS cloud client and PS app features: only PS app for everything for PC and mobile
    • Store to be used by PS Portal and their upcoming PC handheld
    • 15% cut for 3P games who put their games there, if released here an in PS must be crossbuy+crosssave+crossplay
  • (Once margins improved) Acquisittions in big markets where 1P isn't particularly strong (I mention candidates, I don't mean they should buy all of them):
    • Fighting/eSports, Souls, JRPG, Horror, Hack & Slash, monster hunting: Capcom, Bandai Namco, FromSoft or Square Enix (if want to be acquired)
    • Arcades/eSports/gaming stores/toys/figurines/manga: Capcom, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Kadokawa (if want to be acquired)
    • Acquire teams who had long partnership or has potential: Arrowhead, BlueTwelve, Sloclap, Ember Lab, Ballistic Moon, Kojipro (if want to be acquired)
    • Some top mobile company who can respectfully adapt Sony IPs to mobile following PS values and boost the user count
    • Mobile porting helping them do mobile + PC + PS crossplatform GaaS titles like Genshin, Minecraft, Apex, Fortnite, CoD, PUBG
    • Indie publishers: to better scout and also help indies with publishing to secure content in their console, PC and mobile stores (Devolver, Annapurna, Dotemu)
    • More and bigger games means more support teams needed, acquire traditional outsourcing partners and integrate them in SIE Creative Arts: Jetpack Interactive, Goodbye Kansas, Keywords, Formosa, Original Foce, Virtuos..,
    • Acquire an apparel brand (see below in merchandising)
  • (Once margins improved) Expand cloud:
    • Dominate the market before goes mainstream
    • Release client in smartphones, tablets, smart tvs and web browsers
    • If you have PS+ Premium you can play all the games you bought on PSN (PS6, PC, mobile) via the cloud anywhere via cloud gaming
  • PSVR3:
    • Standalone, can also be connected to PS5, PS6 orr PC
    • Features VR and MR
    • BC witth PSVR1 and PSVR2
    • Playable both using only hands or with DualSense 2
    • Crossbuy/crossplay/crossave with PSVR1, PSVR2, PS5, PS6, PC, mobile, cloud (can play "2D" games)
  • DualSense 2:
    • Compatible wih PS5, PS6, PSVR3, PC and mobile+tablets
    • Splittable for PSVR3, can also be attached to the sides of a phone/tablet like a joycon
    • Force feedback adaptative dual analogs
    • Improved haptics
    • Anti-drifting tech
    • Record input lag in gaming history
    • Minimm 5hours of battery
    • Features the latest wifi, connects directly to the cloud server in case of cloud gaming
    • >5 hours of battery life
  • PS6:
    • Powerful motherfucker
    • $599
    • Cerny's take on DLSS, upscales flawless from 1080p to 8K 120fps even BC games
    • AI assistant who plays with you in coop, team based games, give you hints, tells jokes and even makes you virtual blowjobs
    • Attachable disc drive that includes UMD and Vita Card + memory sticks reades
    • Native full BC for the entire PS history including portables, both physical and digital games
    • All games who are also available in PSVR3 and Sony's PSN PC & mobile store are cross-buy, cross-save, cross-play here
  • P3P (PlayStation's 3rd portable / PSP 3):
    • Sony's PC handheld to dominate that market
    • It would act as PS Portal successor for PS6
    • Crossbuy, crossave, crossplay with PC & mobile PSN store and digital PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, PSP, Vita, mobile games you bought back in the time
    • Designed for seamless ultra low latency PS6 Remote Play and cloud gaming
    • Latest wifi and (optional) 5G connectivity
    • OLED touchscreen
    • Dual boot option to install Windows, Linux, Steam OS or whatever you want at your own risk
    • The controllers in the side can be separated, they are a standard DualSense 2
    • >10 hours of battery life
  • Merchandising for PS IPs:
    • Continue adapting PS IPs to movies, tv show and anime
    • Adapt them also to comics, mangas, books and artbooks (via Kadokawa, Sega, Square acquisitions)
    • Release via Sony Music more OSTs, music albums and audio book versions of the books
    • Adapt them to toys, figurines, model kits, board games, pen & paper RPGs
    • Adapt them to PS branded clothes, tote backs, backpacks, etc
    • Adapt them -those who fit- to arcade cabinet versions
    • PlayStation Stores:
      • Sell and market all PS products listed above plus select non-Sony gaming books and magazines
      • Bar/cafe/pub with PS themed food and drinks
      • Monitors with PS games eSports live and trailers of their products
      • Arcades (specially if acquire Capcom, Bandai Namco, Square Enix or Sega)
      • Console setups to play casually (also as demo station or focus testing for upcoming games) or make local tournaments
      • Periodical presentations of local indie games
      • Mini museum with PS related art exhibitions rotating between all their stores
    • PlayStation theme parks in USA, Spain and Japan

Last edited:

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Selected -

1. First and third party AAA/AA console exclusives

What Sony has done here for the most part has been excellent. From their own internal studios (Insomniac, Naughty Dog) to making fully console exclusives from third parties (like Final Fantasy VII trilogy) to funding third party projects (Ronin, Blade, etc.), they should keep doing this. Use the third party console exclusives to fill gaps when they don't have a first party (internal and external) game for the quarter. I would expand studios like Housemarque for example. Have a major AAA team and a minor AA team.

2. Mergers and acquisitions

Studios only. Go after Arrowhead, Ember Lab and others that have had a successful game this generation as well as studios that fit a genre that they're missing. Shift Up would be on the list if Stellar Blade hits which it should.

3. Multi-platform ports

I know vast majority here are against PC day one but that has never made any sense to me. Those who are console gamers (like me) aren't going to PC because they would have done it already. Those who prefer PC aren't going to waste money on any console just to have a lesser experience with less control and pay for online multi-player. Games are developed on PC so you have an optimization team working on the game while it's being developed. Porting the game later on to PC costs more money because you already did the work and now have to go back to it when you should have had it done already. Not only that but you would have to spend more money to market the game a second time which makes no sense. You release the game day one on PlayStation and PC, work is all done already, marketing and advertising can be done once instead of twice and you'll get more sales, more revenue and more profit. You'll also have the game releasing when there's the most hype and excitement from those who want to play it. I would release the games day one on Steam and Epic Game Store. I would not do my own store front because you would have to get other games on the store front and the problem with that is no one is beating or surpassing Valve with Steam. Don't waste money, time and resources trying to take people away from Steam because it's not happening. If possible, connect Trophies with Steam and Epic Game Store because that will get even more people into their games.

4. Third party partnerships and investments

Marketing deals for the popular casual games is smart (sports, fortnite, etc.) but other than this, you could just put this under #1.

That's what I would do in regards to console/PC but like every company, Sony is going to do whatever they believe will make them more revenue and more importantly more profit.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
  • Focus on PS, but also in PC, mobile, cloud because revenue and margins must grow
  • 1P & 3P exclusiveness:
    • Some Sony SP games ported to PC 3 years or later after original release (the original, not counting remakes/remasters)
    • (Once margins improved) continue growing all their existing teams to help them work in more games at the same time
    • All games published here and in other PSN platforms (PS, PC, mobile, cloud) must feature crossbuy+crosssave+crossplay in all of them (not with Steam or Epic)
    • Includes the remote play, PS cloud client and PS app features: only PS app for everything for PC and mobile
    • 15% cut for 3P games who put their games there, if released here an in PS must be crossbuy+crosssave+crossplay
  • (Once margins improved) Acquisittions in big markets where 1P isn't particularly strong (I mention candidates, I don't mean they should buy all of them):
    • Fighting/eSports, Souls, JRPG, Horror, Hack & Slash, monster hunting: Capcom, Bandai Namco, FromSoft or Square Enix (if want to be acquired)
    • Arcades/eSports/gaming stores/toys/figurines/manga: Capcom, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Kadokawa (if want to be acquired)
    • Acquire teams who had long partnership or has potential: Arrowhead, BlueTwelve, Sloclap, Ember Lab, Ballistic Moon, Kojipro (if want to be acquired)
    • Some top mobile company who can respectfully adapt Sony IPs to mobile following PS values and boost the user count
    • Mobile porting helping them do mobile + PC + PS crossplatform GaaS titles like Genshin, Minecraft, Apex, Fortnite, CoD, PUBG
    • Indie publishers: to better scout and also help indies with publishing to secure content in their console, PC and mobile stores (Devolver, Annapurna, Dotemu)
    • More and bigger games means more support teams needed, acquire traditional outsourcing partners and integrate them in SIE Creative Arts: Jetpack Interactive, Goodbye Kansas, Keywords, Formosa, Original Foce, Virtuos..,
    • If you have PS+ Premium you can play all the games you bought on PSN (PS6, PC, mobile) via the cloud anywhere via cloud gaming
  • PSVR3:
    • Features VR and MR
    • Crossbuy/crossplay/crossave with PSVR1, PSVR2, PS5, PS6, PC, mobile, cloud (can play "2D" games)
  • DualSense 2:
    • Splittable for PSVR3, can also be attached to the sides of a phone/tablet like a joycon
    • Improved haptics
    • Anti-drifting tech
    • Features the latest wifi, connects directly to the cloud server in case of cloud gaming
  • PS6:
    • Powerful motherfucker
    • $599
    • AI assistant who plays with you in coop, team based games, give you hints, tells jokes and even makes you virtual blowjobs
    • Native full BC for the entire PS history including portables, both physical and digital games
    • All games who are also available in PSVR3 and Sony's PSN PC & mobile store are cross-buy, cross-save, cross-play here
    • Crossbuy, crossave, crossplay with PC & mobile PSN store and digital PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, PSP, Vita, mobile games you bought back in the time
    • OLED touchscreen
    • Dual boot option to install Windows, Linux, Steam OS or whatever you want at your own risk
    • Adapt them also to comics, mangas, books and artbooks (via Kadokawa, Sega, Square acquisitions)
    • Release via Sony Music more OSTs, music albums and audio book versions of the books
    • PlayStation Stores:
      • Sell and market all PS products listed above plus select non-Sony gaming books and magazines
      • Console setups to play casually (also as demo station or focus testing for upcoming games) or make local tournaments
Upscale 1080p to 8k? More Vaseline ?

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
you mean dokev? it got delayed because the studio was struggling on crimson desert iirc.

Yeah that's the game. Sad to hear about the delay, but hopefully it won't be too long before it gets another showing & release.

Legendary thread

Now I don’t know if this strategy is in Sonys best BUSINESS interest, but I’d like is for them to keep doing what they’ve always done. Build 3rd parties up and make something special of them.

Crash ~~> The Last of Us
Spyro ~~> Spiderman
Sly Cooper ~~> Ghost of Tsushima
Magicka ~~~> Helldivers 2
Demon Souls ~~> Bloodborne

Do you see where I’m going with this? They give small studios a massive glo up, and give them the chance to make games that can go toe to toe with the biggest games. Some of them have went on to become legendary studios. I don’t really care if they own the studio or not, go out there and give talent a budget & spotlight. This alongside guaranteed third party support, IMO will always make PlayStation a special platform.

It is a great strategy for sure because as we've seen with Helldivers 2, you can basically help create the next big thing nurturing & supporting talent from the beginning to become more ambitious. No need to go spend billions just to basically IP harvest and then struggle to retain talent for that IP. I mean we're in a very real scenario where if the next COD isn't a massive improvement from the previous one, that franchise's decline is basically set into permanence. Imagine spending $75 billion for that type of situation :/

But anyway...

Like you alluded towards, there's the business-related question. Doing what you suggest is definitely worth it, but Sony has to create vested interests in that for their own bottom line else they're just growing fruit for overzealous competitors to greedily pick and consume (M&As, majority shares, long-term publishing deals etc.). Ideally, you'd want Sony to at least be making regular investments into these studios, arrange publishing deals, have stock opens if they go public, enter strategic partnerships etc. if an actual acquisition isn't on the table.

You gotta protect your investments when you know competitors are watching you like a hawk.

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
  • 1P & 3P exclusiveness:

Well the 3P titles, assuming they're from another publisher, aren't in Sony's domain in terms of permanent exclusivity. I do think for non-GAAS 3P exclusives Sony should make a better effort of them being actual exclusives i.e only on PlayStation, for at least 6 months-1 year for AA and 1/1.5-2 years for AAA, maybe longer in some cases.

Considering PC platforms play the exclusivity game anyway (with 1P and 3P games, because they know the importance of exclusivity), I don't see why people expect Sony to stop doing this when it has a directly correlative benefit to their platform growth & support.

But yeah, I would never expect 3P exclusives to remain permanently that way on PS, not these days. Longer timed exclusivity, would be possible however.

There are still some issues with this approach Sony'd have to work out. We've touched on them before. One is that I doubt they'd do full crossbuy support if 3P publishers are against doing that for their own games. Take-Two for example, would never go for it, because they would see PS launcher players on PC as a "second stream" to the console owners, and expect them to double-dip. They may also be apprehensive to it because if crossbuy were expected for customers across all supported platforms (console, PC, mobile) Day 1, then Take-Two would feel obligated to make a GTA or Red Dead game Day 1 on console & PC natively, messing up their double-dipping strategy.

I know there are people who would love to see Take-Two do Day 1 on PC for their big games, but they're also a big 3P partner for Sony, and Sony aren't going to push an initiative that big 3P partners aren't okay with. Yes a lot of what I've been suggesting ITT is a means for Sony to rely less on 3P but this is one of those areas where I think they'd still need or want big 3P support before committing. Maybe that's where the discount stuff I mentioned in the past when talking about this with you, would be a solid compromise. You still incentivize double-dipping but you're also giving customers good discounts on buying additional versions of the game on platforms supported within the ecosystem (that have PSN store & launcher).

That's pretty much just as good as cross-buy, you still get cross-save and cross-play options, you incentivize 3P to keep revenue high and get higher profits through double dips, and ease burden on mid and smaller-sized 3P studios from "feeling" like they need to focus on multiple platforms Day 1 (meaning they can concentrate on optimizing a single version, preferably the console one, for launch and then look into PC and/or mobile ports later). Although I think, there would be a way for publishers & developers to leverage Day 1 across multiple devices if Sony lets them provide cloud versions of the game Day 1 on platforms that don't have native builds yet. And that's where that discount I mentioned way back would come into play: the cloud license acting as one of two types, either an offset in cost in getting the native version on a platform with said version within a window of time (or an upgrade of that game which gets a cloud version), OR as a normal game cost (if the platform isn't expected to get a native build of the game in the future).

And if you have an active PS+ sub you can get bigger cross-discounts when buying the game, but if you want to access the cloud version without having a PS+ sub you buy the cloud version of the game as if it were a native version of the game. Although in that case I'd probably expect the publisher needs to have some type of cloud infrastructure of their own maybe tied to Sony's

Out of your suggestions, if M&As were on the table I'd prioritize Arrowhead, Ember Lab, Kojima Productions as chief targets, if they're interested in acquisition. If one or more aren't, set up a strategic partnership with them, some long-term publishing deal, invest in them and co-fund/co-develop more games together. Which is probably what I'd expect Sony to do anyway before looking into an M&A.

While acquiring a publisher would be nice, I don't think it's necessary, not anymore. Look at the bleeding Embracer's going through. Look at how much money Microsoft spent on Zenimax & ABK vs. the returns they're actually getting (and now likely needing to go more fully multiplatform as a publisher). I think Sony already have a lot of the teams in place to do most of what you're suggesting, and if not then studio acquisitions would make more sense. For example, why the need to acquire Konami when they're already working with KojiPro on PHYSINT? Yeah it'd be neat to get Bloody Roar back but that could get worked out through some partnership arrangement or deal, it doesn't require an M&A.

What I would suggest, though, is Sony making key investments & games/content partnerships with various 3P. They don't need to buy Square-Enix to get a new Parasite Eve, for example. The market needs more independent 3P publishers anyway, not less, and mass consolidation's obviously not the answer to solving climbing budget costs for AAA development. I think they should enter strategic partnerships & investments (both regular & as share purchases) into Square-Enix, Capcom, Bandai-Namco, EA, Take-Two, Annapurna and MiHoYo, for example. And those should include co-funding, support and development of new PlayStation games with 1P and 3P IP.

Yeah, this is something they will likely give focus to more as time goes on.

• PSVR3:
    • Features VR and MR

MR is actually a better way of describing what I meant when I was saying AR; thought they were one in the same but apparently MR is a bit more advanced. I agree that
BC should be a requirement, at least with PSVR2; if PSVR1 BC requires extra work that could be available through a patch with a small fee or whatever.

However I think some of this is probably too ambitious. Dunno if they'll be able to go with a hands-only option, not without some clever or high-powered camera setup. I also must emphasize that a PSVR3, IMO, only works if they can make it scalable. That means they need an entry model that's at most $149 to buy on its own, with a BOM hopefully not much higher than $75-$80, and comes standard with every PS6 (they'd probably have to cut back on some of the "powwah!" and default storage size, plus no built-in disc drive and maybe some non-critical ports moved to an optional plug-in device, but it'd be worth it).

Also hoping it'd mean PS6 could support multiple headsets at once, for local multiplayer in the living room for example.

• DualSense 2:
    • Improved haptics
    • Anti-drifting tech

All solid; I'd just add that for those who don't want a VR experience (for whatever reason), they should make two controllers, because a DualSense 2 with the features you describe would probably cost more to make and carry a higher MSRP.

So the one you're describing would be like a "DualSense 2 VR" and probably a higher MSRP like $99, but they'd also have a traditional "DualSense 2" without the VR stuff priced at $69 or $79. But with a PS6 making an entry-level headset part of the default package, the "DualSense 2 VR" controller would have to be the default option.

• PS6:
    • Powerful motherfucker
    • $599

Lol @ the AI assistant part; PS6 should (likely will) definitely have a good amount of AI-centric silicon part of its design however.

I don't think it'll have native BC for pre-PS4 systems though, and doubt the stock PS6 would have BC for anything aside PS4 & PS5, plus whatever pre-PS4 games are downloadable on PSN. The level of BC you're thinking of would probably only be achievable with an enhanced optional fit-to-form disc drive housing additional hardware and ports (like for UMD & Vita cards, PS2 & PS1 memory cards, legacy peripherals etc.)

That type of enhanced drive peripheral would probably go for about $149.

• OLED touchscreen

Some of this makes sense, some of it doesn't. The Dual-Boot option for example, that's probably a no-go. It would mean an even higher price than whatever you're thinking currently, because Sony'd have to account for loss of revenue in people installing Windows and using Steam instead of their own storefront. That'd also let them circumvent paying for online play, so unless Sony got rid of the paywall for that, also a no-go.

I'm also 50/50 on the idea of it being a cloud solution for PS6 games; if Sony are still going to port some PS6 games to PC, that means native versions, meaning Steam Deck 3 or whatever Valve has by then will have native portable versions of those games yet Sony's own portable won't? You can argue that Sony's portable would have cloud & remote streaming of all PS6 games, unlike Valve's, but if and when Sony do pursue a storefront on PC (I don't think that's happening anytime in the next 10 years, BTW, but we'll see), that advantage immediately goes away.

Why? Because if the account for the PSN is universal across devices, then a user accessing their account on PC should be able to access their content purchased on PS5 via cloud streaming or Remote Play for example, with whatever PC device they're using. Valve's Steam Deck is a PC device...you see where I'm going with this.

So due to that, I think Sony's portable is better off having a way of natively playing PS6 games at lower settings and resolution. But the trick is to not get into a Series S-like situation with it. That requires having some hardware (shared between PS6 & the portable) that can auto-scale and configure levels of detail for models, textures, etc. plus enforce framerates depending on whether the game's running on a PS6 or the portable, and in what performance mode.

Hopefully this means the developers don't need to do much besides set some flags in their code, that way they can target PS6 for design scope & detail of their game and then hardware & tools on Sony's end effortlessly scale down assets and other features to run on the portable. This'd also require them using a good chiplet-based design for the PS6 where they can just physically remove necessary shaders, ROPs, TMUs, cache etc. to make a portable-friendly GPU, but the CPU likely remaining the same between both. RAM and storage capacities could also differ, etc.

• PlayStation Stores:

Hadn't thought too much on the merchandising side of things, but these sound like good ideas. This is probably also where acquiring a publisher like S-E or Kadokawa would make more sense, although part of me thinks they could still just accomplish most of this through strategic partnerships and investments.

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
Selected -

1. First and third party AAA/AA console exclusives

What Sony has done here for the most part has been excellent. From their own internal studios (Insomniac, Naughty Dog) to making fully console exclusives from third parties (like Final Fantasy VII trilogy) to funding third party projects (Ronin, Blade, etc.), they should keep doing this. Use the third party console exclusives to fill gaps when they don't have a first party (internal and external) game for the quarter. I would expand studios like Housemarque for example. Have a major AAA team and a minor AA team.

Yeah, this would make sense.

2. Mergers and acquisitions

Studios only. Go after Arrowhead, Ember Lab and others that have had a successful game this generation as well as studios that fit a genre that they're missing. Shift Up would be on the list if Stellar Blade hits which it should.

Considering how other massive 3P publisher acquisitions have either been resulting in lots of bleeding (Embracer) or seriously steps into a 3P publishing role out of necessity (Microsoft), and seeing how Bungie's been eating at SIE's profit margins for multiple quarters now, sticking to studios for M&As makes a lot of sense.

3. Multi-platform ports

I know vast majority here are against PC day one but that has never made any sense to me. Those who are console gamers (like me) aren't going to PC because they would have done it already. Those who prefer PC aren't going to waste money on any console just to have a lesser experience with less control and pay for online multi-player. Games are developed on PC so you have an optimization team working on the game while it's being developed. Porting the game later on to PC costs more money because you already did the work and now have to go back to it when you should have had it done already. Not only that but you would have to spend more money to market the game a second time which makes no sense. You release the game day one on PlayStation and PC, work is all done already, marketing and advertising can be done once instead of twice and you'll get more sales, more revenue and more profit. You'll also have the game releasing when there's the most hype and excitement from those who want to play it. I would release the games day one on Steam and Epic Game Store. I would not do my own store front because you would have to get other games on the store front and the problem with that is no one is beating or surpassing Valve with Steam. Don't waste money, time and resources trying to take people away from Steam because it's not happening. If possible, connect Trophies with Steam and Epic Game Store because that will get even more people into their games.

This is probably where we're going to partially disagree. While you may consider yourself a console gamer and haven't considered the switch, there are more who would consider the switch if the choice were made that easy for them. That is the risk Sony runs by going Day 1 with all of their games, not just many of what GaaS titles they port to PC.

There is simply too much content and I'd argue, demographic cross-over between platforms like Steam and consoles like PlayStation. When you have 99% of console-primary 3P putting their games on both, they wouldn't be doing that unless they knew there was enough similar customer base to make that worth doing. This idea that a majority of Steam users in particular are very different from PlayStation & Xbox users is outdated.

When you look at Steam's growth, it matches very well with PS3/360 (then later PS4/XBO) users who decided to leave those consoles and either go to PC for the first time, or return to PC after leaving it in the early or mid '00s when the gaming market on PC was in major decline (for new releases). Many once-PC exclusive or primary developers gradually focused more on consoles in the latter years of 6th gen, and a flood of them rushed to 7th-gen systems like 360. IP that very likely would've been PC-exclusive or first released on PC back in the day like Mass Effect, were now 360-exclusive games getting PC ports a bit later (but as games, were developed around the capabilities of the console).

Most Steam users are not the same as the old-school point-and-click/4x/simulator DOS or Windows gamers from the '90s and '80s; that's just one segment of PC gamers and those are the types into PC dominantly or exclusively, who'd never maybe consider switching. The others would be FPS/competitive shooter-centric console gamers from the Halo and 360 COD days that went to PC and never looked back as eSports, and games like DOTA 2, League, WOW etc. took advantage of the performance options on PC unavailable on console (in some cases still not available) like super high-refresh low-latency monitors, plus standard KB&M input.

But if we're talking the Steam audience, those two are probably like 10%-15% of the install base, at most. You've got maybe another 10%-20% who wouldn't consider switching because they are power users on PC for productivity apps, work-related stuff as well as games. But you've got a good 65-80% who could likely still be swayed to other options, including consoles like PlayStation, if the competition were strong enough to convince them to jump over (if not to replace PC, then complement as another play they do a good amount of gaming).

That is a major reason IMO why Day 1 for all Sony games on PC would be a slow, painful death blow to their console. And if they don't have vested interests in the PC space to cover that, like their own storefront/launcher where they are prioritizing those Day 1 PC releases, then it's going to result in a similar pattern of growing indifference & lack of interest in PlayStation, exactly as has been seen with Xbox.

The only reason it may not end up as bad for PlayStation, is because it is a bigger brand globally. That's the only reason. Even so, we're talking about a future console gen that could go from 120+ million install base to maybe a little over 80 million, at best. And I only base that on PS3's market performance, but even the PS3 understood the game and pushed for tons of exclusives to recover later in that gen.

So actually, Sony doing Day 1 on PC for all games would create a bad chain effect, and going from 120+ million install bases to maybe lower/mid 70-ish million install bases as a best-case. Why do that to your console when it's more than healthy?

4. Third party partnerships and investments

Marketing deals for the popular casual games is smart (sports, fortnite, etc.) but other than this, you could just put this under #1.

That's what I would do in regards to console/PC but like every company, Sony is going to do whatever they believe will make them more revenue and more importantly more profit.

Yeah, very much so. Let's just hope they make the best choices. We're going to have different ideas on what those "best choices" are here and there, due to natural biases, but we can hope that they make choices which serve their interests as well as those of their console base.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well the 3P titles, assuming they're from another publisher, aren't in Sony's domain in terms of permanent exclusivity. I do think for non-GAAS 3P exclusives Sony should make a better effort of them being actual exclusives i.e only on PlayStation, for at least 6 months-1 year for AA and 1/1.5-2 years for AAA, maybe longer in some cases.

Considering PC platforms play the exclusivity game anyway (with 1P and 3P games, because they know the importance of exclusivity), I don't see why people expect Sony to stop doing this when it has a directly correlative benefit to their platform growth & support.

But yeah, I would never expect 3P exclusives to remain permanently that way on PS, not these days. Longer timed exclusivity, would be possible however.

3P titles are always from other publishers because the difference between 3P games and 1P games is that if they are published by the platform holder or not.

The 3P publishers make more money publishing their games everywhere unless they get paid by a platform holder to keep some kind of exclusivity. If Sony wants exclusivity, has to pay them. To keep a game as total exclusive forever has a price. To keep it console exclusive forever has another price. To keep it as a temporal console exclusivity has another price. And a longer timed exclusivity is more expensive than a shorter one. These prices also vary depending on the potential sales lost in other platforms due to that exclusivity. And since over time game budgets get higher, prices for exclusives also get higher.

Once they sign (and pay) these deals, they must stick to them.

Sony must have a budget for exclusivities, so with a fixed amount of money they have to keep a balance between signing way less exclusives but making them longer or instead to be able to sign way more exclusives but making them timed and shorter.

There are still some issues with this approach Sony'd have to work out. We've touched on them before. One is that I doubt they'd do full crossbuy support if 3P publishers are against doing that for their own games. Take-Two for example, would never go for it, because they would see PS launcher players on PC as a "second stream" to the console owners, and expect them to double-dip. They may also be apprehensive to it because if crossbuy were expected for customers across all supported platforms (console, PC, mobile) Day 1, then Take-Two would feel obligated to make a GTA or Red Dead game Day 1 on console & PC natively, messing up their double-dipping strategy.

I know there are people who would love to see Take-Two do Day 1 on PC for their big games, but they're also a big 3P partner for Sony, and Sony aren't going to push an initiative that big 3P partners aren't okay with. Yes a lot of what I've been suggesting ITT is a means for Sony to rely less on 3P but this is one of those areas where I think they'd still need or want big 3P support before committing. Maybe that's where the discount stuff I mentioned in the past when talking about this with you, would be a solid compromise. You still incentivize double-dipping but you're also giving customers good discounts on buying additional versions of the game on platforms supported within the ecosystem (that have PSN store & launcher).

That's pretty much just as good as cross-buy, you still get cross-save and cross-play options, you incentivize 3P to keep revenue high and get higher profits through double dips, and ease burden on mid and smaller-sized 3P studios from "feeling" like they need to focus on multiple platforms Day 1 (meaning they can concentrate on optimizing a single version, preferably the console one, for launch and then look into PC and/or mobile ports later). Although I think, there would be a way for publishers & developers to leverage Day 1 across multiple devices if Sony lets them provide cloud versions of the game Day 1 on platforms that don't have native builds yet. And that's where that discount I mentioned way back would come into play: the cloud license acting as one of two types, either an offset in cost in getting the native version on a platform with said version within a window of time (or an upgrade of that game which gets a cloud version), OR as a normal game cost (if the platform isn't expected to get a native build of the game in the future).

And if you have an active PS+ sub you can get bigger cross-discounts when buying the game, but if you want to access the cloud version without having a PS+ sub you buy the cloud version of the game as if it were a native version of the game. Although in that case I'd probably expect the publisher needs to have some type of cloud infrastructure of their own maybe tied to Sony's

People like Take 2 could decide to don't release their game on Sony's PC store if they don't want to implement crossbuy or crossplay. They can always continue selling it for PC on Steam or in their own store with no crossbuy, cross save or crossplay.

Players who double dip would prefer crossbuy, crossplay and crosssave, so they'd prefer to buy in Sony's store, growing its userbase. Companies would follow the userbase. For Sony's interest, it's better to have a bigger single online ecosystem that covers all the platforms where they are. Because this is what attracts players and devs: to see that most players are there.

The 30% cut goes partly to pay that cloud infrastruucture of the store, trophies, friendlists, matchmaking, etc. For 3P, only if the game has internal player/game metrics tracked or if it has dedicated servers for MP instead of being peer to peer MP the game has to pay its internal game servers.

Out of your suggestions, if M&As were on the table I'd prioritize Arrowhead, Ember Lab, Kojima Productions as chief targets, if they're interested in acquisition. If one or more aren't, set up a strategic partnership with them, some long-term publishing deal, invest in them and co-fund/co-develop more games together. Which is probably what I'd expect Sony to do anyway before looking into an M&A.
Yes, cheaper acquisitions with potential are more realistic. Because of their lower cost so being more affordable for their M&A budget, because causing less issues with regulators and because they may be more open to sell. I think they aren't something prioritary, but if possible I'd get them.

While acquiring a publisher would be nice, I don't think it's necessary, not anymore. Look at the bleeding Embracer's going through. Look at how much money Microsoft spent on Zenimax & ABK vs. the returns they're actually getting (and now likely needing to go more fully multiplatform as a publisher). I think Sony already have a lot of the teams in place to do most of what you're suggesting, and if not then studio acquisitions would make more sense. For example, why the need to acquire Konami when they're already working with KojiPro on PHYSINT? Yeah it'd be neat to get Bloody Roar back but that could get worked out through some partnership arrangement or deal, it doesn't require an M&A.

What I would suggest, though, is Sony making key investments & games/content partnerships with various 3P. They don't need to buy Square-Enix to get a new Parasite Eve, for example. The market needs more independent 3P publishers anyway, not less, and mass consolidation's obviously not the answer to solving climbing budget costs for AAA development. I think they should enter strategic partnerships & investments (both regular & as share purchases) into Square-Enix, Capcom, Bandai-Namco, EA, Take-Two, Annapurna and MiHoYo, for example. And those should include co-funding, support and development of new PlayStation games with 1P and 3P IP.
Sony doesn't need to make publisher acquisitions regarding publishers at all, they are more than fine. They could also may be too expensive for their M&A budget, would affect their profitability in the short term, they may not be open to sell because already are very sccessful and growing, and may cause issues with regulators.

But in a context of consolidation and gaming market revenue getting stagnant or maybe even decrease in the short/mid term, if they want to see Sony to continue growing meaningfully then big acquisitions would be the best option as long term bet, even if they keep these publishers 3rd party to keep maximizing their revenue (but blocking any potential console or game sub exclusive for rival platforms securing their ful support).

MR is actually a better way of describing what I meant when I was saying AR; thought they were one in the same but apparently MR is a bit more advanced. I agree that
BC should be a requirement, at least with PSVR2; if PSVR1 BC requires extra work that could be available through a patch with a small fee or whatever.
Yes, the difference between AR and MR is that AR is just something painted on top of a real world image. While MR detects the 3D objects in the real world image and interacts with it.

Meaning, in MR a character can run behind a table and would be hidden behind it, or could even collide with it. With in AR since always it's painted on top of the real world and the only thing it detects it's the plane where it's placed you'd continue seeing the character if it's behind the table.

However I think some of this is probably too ambitious. Dunno if they'll be able to go with a hands-only option, not without some clever or high-powered camera setup. I also must emphasize that a PSVR3, IMO, only works if they can make it scalable. That means they need an entry model that's at most $149 to buy on its own, with a BOM hopefully not much higher than $75-$80, and comes standard with every PS6 (they'd probably have to cut back on some of the "powwah!" and default storage size, plus no built-in disc drive and maybe some non-critical ports moved to an optional plug-in device, but it'd be worth it).
Yes, I think that to go mainstream, the VR headsets must become way chapear. Something I think that will happen in the long term, but not for PSVR3. PSVR3 must have better specs than PSVR2, and if released around let's say 2030 and assume inflation will continue making things more expensive, I think it isn't realistic to expect anyting under $299, maybe even $399.

The thing is, this time having the option of going standalone instead of being only an accesory the price would be perceived as cheaper.

Also hoping it'd mean PS6 could support multiple headsets at once, for local multiplayer in the living room for example.
I think it isn't realistic because the compute power needed would be too high and its price would be too high too. Plus nowadays sadly almost nobody uses local MP.

All solid; I'd just add that for those who don't want a VR experience (for whatever reason), they should make two controllers, because a DualSense 2 with the features you describe would probably cost more to make and carry a higher MSRP.
My idea is that the same splittable DualSense 2 controller would be used to play on PS, PSVR3, PC, mobile, Sony PC handheld and cloud. Meaning, they would highly increase the amount of potential users who would buy it, so they would lover the costs.

Also, it wouldn't need to include the controller in the PSVR3 package to lower the cost, since many people already would have it to play on console/PC/mobile/cloud/PC handheld. Or would play PSVR3 several games and apps only using hands.

So the one you're describing would be like a "DualSense 2 VR" and probably a higher MSRP like $99, but they'd also have a traditional "DualSense 2" without the VR stuff priced at $69 or $79. But with a PS6 making an entry-level headset part of the default package, the "DualSense 2 VR" controller would have to be the default option.
I wouldn't make a PSVR3 specific controller. My idea would be to use for PSVR3 the same DualSense 2 being used for PS6, PC or mobile. the thing is that this controller would be splittable, either to use it in VR or to attach it to the sides of a phone, tablet or PC handheld.

Lol @ the AI assistant part; PS6 should (likely will) definitely have a good amount of AI-centric silicon part of its design however.
The thing is that excluding the last part I jokingly added at the end, Sony already patented this, so may be already in the works, or at least prototyped.

I don't think it'll have native BC for pre-PS4 systems though, and doubt the stock PS6 would have BC for anything aside PS4 & PS5, plus whatever pre-PS4 games are downloadable on PSN. The level of BC you're thinking of would probably only be achievable with an enhanced optional fit-to-form disc drive housing additional hardware and ports (like for UMD & Vita cards, PS2 & PS1 memory cards, legacy peripherals etc.). That type of enhanced drive peripheral would probably go for about $149.
PS4 and PS5 already has BC via emulator for PS1, PS2 and PSP. With the extra power of PS6, they could extend it to PS3 and Vita (Vita TV to be more precise due to back touch). I expect retail game sales to continue decreasing, so at the point of the PS6 release may be something really tiny, to the point they may decide to make PS6 digital only, or at least most players.

But they already have the attachable disc reader, and I think a way to improve it for the next gen would be to turn it into a BC improvement accesory supporting discs and maybe even memory cards. The idea would be to turn it into something focused and more appealing for the collectors market and giving another selling point to buy the console instead of going PC, mobile or cloud.

Some of this makes sense, some of it doesn't. The Dual-Boot option for example, that's probably a no-go. It would mean an even higher price than whatever you're thinking currently, because Sony'd have to account for loss of revenue in people installing Windows and using Steam instead of their own storefront. That'd also let them circumvent paying for online play, so unless Sony got rid of the paywall for that, also a no-go.
All PC handhelds allow you to install Windows or Linux. And this is the biggest advantage of PC handelds vs portable consoles. If Sony doesn't implement it in their device, it would hurt their sales and hackers would do it anyways. So I think Sony will implement dual boot. Also because if regulators or the court may end forcing Apple and Google to allow other stores as they did with Windows before, in the future they may end also require it from Sony and Nintendo.

I'm also 50/50 on the idea of it being a cloud solution for PS6 games; if Sony are still going to port some PS6 games to PC, that means native versions, meaning Steam Deck 3 or whatever Valve has by then will have native portable versions of those games yet Sony's own portable won't? You can argue that Sony's portable would have cloud & remote streaming of all PS6 games, unlike Valve's, but if and when Sony do pursue a storefront on PC (I don't think that's happening anytime in the next 10 years, BTW, but we'll see), that advantage immediately goes away.

Why? Because if the account for the PSN is universal across devices, then a user accessing their account on PC should be able to access their content purchased on PS5 via cloud streaming or Remote Play for example, with whatever PC device they're using. Valve's Steam Deck is a PC device...you see where I'm going with this.

So due to that, I think Sony's portable is better off having a way of natively playing PS6 games at lower settings and resolution. But the trick is to not get into a Series S-like situation with it. That requires having some hardware (shared between PS6 & the portable) that can auto-scale and configure levels of detail for models, textures, etc. plus enforce framerates depending on whether the game's running on a PS6 or the portable, and in what performance mode.

Hopefully this means the developers don't need to do much besides set some flags in their code, that way they can target PS6 for design scope & detail of their game and then hardware & tools on Sony's end effortlessly scale down assets and other features to run on the portable. This'd also require them using a good chiplet-based design for the PS6 where they can just physically remove necessary shaders, ROPs, TMUs, cache etc. to make a portable-friendly GPU, but the CPU likely remaining the same between both. RAM and storage capacities could also differ, etc.
The point of having a PC handheld would be to run natively there the Sony PC games (plus like any device via cloud too). As in Steamdeck but defaulting Sony's PC store leaving Steam and other PC stores as somehting players would need to install themselves via dual boot, and also using DualSense 2 as controller, plus a quality Sony display.

As DLSS-like tech improves and horsepower increases, the difference between an underpowered device like a PC handheld/phone/tablet in a small screen at first sight for most people will become smaller when compared to seeing it on a big display when running from a console or PC.

Hadn't thought too much on the merchandising side of things, but these sound like good ideas. This is probably also where acquiring a publisher like S-E or Kadokawa would make more sense, although part of me thinks they could still just accomplish most of this through strategic partnerships and investments.
The thing is that as budget increase, they need to find more revenue sources and find more customers and fans in new places expanding to new markets or boosting secondary ones they already have. It would also to better fit and find more growth opportunities to both sides in case of potential acquisitions like Square Enix, Kadokawa or Bandai Namco allowing them to continue doing their non-gaming business.

I mean, Bandai Namco being the top 2 toy maker in the world having all that empire with model kits and figurines and expertise adapting there or to gaming anime IPs has a lot of potential to let them adapt big Sony gaming anime or gaming IPs. Kadokawa is a manga/magazines/books giant too, Square Enix also has mangas. I think they could mix very well together and with Sony's gaming and anime IPs.

And well, if in the long term they end selling a lot of different physical stuff would make sense to have their own stores to sell these things reducing middle man cuts directly to consumers and also using these stores as marketing tools and social experiences for their customers to keep them more inmersed on their products and brands. Doing such locations to also have there arcades from Capcom, Bandai Namco, Sega, Square Enix would be a great fit if acquired.

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
So actually, Sony doing Day 1 on PC for all games would create a bad chain effect, and going from 120+ million install bases to maybe lower/mid 70-ish million install bases as a best-case. Why do that to your console when it's more than healthy?

I see all your points but I just don't see PlayStation console declining anywhere near that extent and I don't agree with Xbox declining because of PC. Xbox declined because of the lack of first party exclusives after releasing Gears of War 3 in Fall 2011 for Xbox 360 (which was the opposite of Sony with PlayStation 3 in the same two year time frame) to then follow it up with their horrific fuck up in 2013 when they revealed the Xbox One (which again, was the opposite of Sony with PlayStation 4). Console user install base isn't growing at all. It's basically just the same people buying the console every generation with a boost coming because people left the other console brand.

The main difference between it all is the price point of entry. Consoles rarely go past $500 because if they do, they'll most likely bomb. A high end desk top PC is at least $5000 give or take. Laptop PC is even slightly higher. Requires more upkeep and upgrading than a console does plus every game is digital only and while you do get good sales/discounts from time to time on Steam, it's rarely day one unless you get the digital code from a third party.

The main positive on PC is free online co-op/multi-player but even then, it's still far cheaper to buy a console and pay the $120 a year (if you do it monthly) for the generation than it is to buy a high end desk top PC. Add in the fact that a lot of games are broken or have issues on PC due to all the different configurations and that unlike console, it's simply not streamlined.

PlayStation 5 in my opinion will be around 120M give or take because Sony isn't growing their console because there's no growth to be had. The only way to grow their console is if it was a hybrid like Nintendo but even then, I don't see it working for Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) because they wouldn't go with lower specifications to offer that option. People say that Nintendo grew but they really didn't. They had a very successful Wii generation and two great handhelds in DS and 3DS. Switch basically combined them both to where users of either Nintendo console or handheld went to Switch. Overall numbers declined but that's probably due to overlap of people owning both a Nintendo console and Nintendo handheld back then.

Sony releasing their games on PC isn't going to decrease their console base all that much. I put it at 10M maximum and realistically, I don't even see that decrease happening because the brand name, innovation, PlayStation Plus, etc. is simply the strongest that it's ever been. Granted, you may get some hardcore gamers that switch to PC because they want the best and would have everything on one platform but casuals aren't going anywhere because they play maybe a handful of games a year and neither are the PlayStation fanboys/extremists. Like, where are they going? None of them are going to spend thousands on a PC that would be needed to run all the games and imagine by the time next generation starts, PC gaming would probably be even more expensive than it is now because the tech is more advanced.

While people here love to shit on Phil Spencer, he was 100% factual when he said that they lost the worst console generation you could lose as a hardware manufacturer, as a platform and as a brand which was the Xbox One/PlayStation 4 generation because that's literally when everyone truly started going digital and building their digital library which brings me to perhaps the most important aspect as to why I don't see PlayStation 6 life time console sales (or even a decrease for PlayStation 5) being the 70-80M that you believe it would be. People are simply not going to re-buy all their games on PC when they already have the collection on PlayStation. The only way I see this happening is if Sony was to NOT have PS4/PS5 backwards compatibility with PlayStation 6.

Obviously, it all remains to be seen. My prediction since 2020 has been that Sony will put their games day one on PC by the start of PlayStation 6. Two things are certain though - first, console growth is minimal at best and that's being generous and second, Sony (and every company for that matter) is going to do what they feel is the best way to maximize revenue and profit regardless of what anyone says, wants or believes.

Last edited: