Sony: The Last of Us Part II cost $220 million to make. Horizon Forbidden West €220m.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Some really bad redacting from the FTC case reveals the budget of two AAA Sony games.

Via The Verge by Tom Warren

FzuK4nKX0AE3HxO

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
Anyone knows how much a game needs to make to break even? I think with movies is 3 times what it cost to make it.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Horizon costing much more than I thought... since Naughty Dog is in Cali and cost of living should be higher and therefore wages.

Reactions: KnittedKnight

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Well worth it.
For TLOU yeah. I feel like Horizon has under-performed after the original game though. I know they can't all be GoW or TLOU but ehh... Then again, I can't really say that without knowing how much big third party competitors cost.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
For TLOU yeah. I feel like Horizon has under-performed after the original game though. I know they can't all be GoW or TLOU but ehh... Then again, I can't really say that without knowing how much big third party competitors cost.
underperformed selling more than original which sold over 20M copies. we have a Sherlock here 😂

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I think UK getting privileges in the leadership struggle may have been a mistake.

The CMA lobbying angle (which I can't definitively prove) is the only thing that is wrestling in my brain against that opinion in a partial sense.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
underperformed selling more than original which sold over 20M copies. we have a Sherlock here 😂
It was forgotten within a month. If not at the box office its certainly been forgotten in games discussion. And Call of the Mountain fared no better.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I don't believe that number for Horizon. It must be the full cost of the Decima engine + the game and marketing.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
None of these games have underperformed. These are forums narratives with no real data to back them up.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Both games look, feels and play like their budgets... Money well spent and they were rewarded back for it.

But I can see why they are doing so many GaaS as single player only games will eventually leave them in the red or they'll have to scale it back.

I hope they manage to get 2 or 3 GaaS hits over the course of the generation from the bunch.

Which is why they should have never gotten rid of Japan Studios, they were the perfect studios for AA / mid budget AAA games. ... Ab area they need to quickly expand on...

I hope they signed a 3 game deal with Embers Lab and others like them.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Anyone knows how much a game needs to make to break even? I think with movies is 3 times what it cost to make it.
The total budget of the game is the development budget (220M in this case) + marketing budget (typically around the same amount than the development budget).

So to break even, to get this total budget back and start making profit, it has to make around $440M.

Both games were last gen games, every generation the AAA budgets get way bigger when they start to take advantage of the new hardware, something we still didn't see because every generation games also take longer to be made.

TLOU2 was the fastest selling PlayStation exclusive ever until GoWR broke the record. Horizon 2 was the fastest selling Guerrilla game ever. So no, none of them underperforme: they are both super successful games.

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

They were tracking almost neck and neck time adjusted per Sony's own financial reports. HZD took years to reach 20M sales. It didn't underperform.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I know both made that money back and way more, even, but god damn, that strategy is risky.

I really appreciate PS for taking these risks and moving the industry forward.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This is why sony is making live service games and why people are dumb for crying about it

Those live service games will cost as much if not more, require ongoing high costs, and have to capture hundreds of thousands of recurring players to be successful. Most live service games (think destiny, cod, etc) fail miserably.

Sony may very well be throwing money out the window.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Those live service games will cost as much if not more, require ongoing high costs, and have to capture hundreds of thousands of recurring players to be successful. Most live service games (think destiny, cod, etc) fail miserably.

Sony may very well be throwing money out the window.
But if they get a hit or two they will potentially make billions. That's what they use to do during PS3 era... Wipe out the losses of all there flop games with their mega hits and reinvest.