Sony will increase the PS5 price in South Korea for the second time

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Their stupid GAAS punt failed and their pc ports underperformed each and every time and now they think doubling down is the answer...

I'm patient... I can wait to say "I told you so" again and again.... And again.

I think you need to look at Circana from August again............

Many of the YTD in revenue generated on steam had helldivers 2 and ghost in the top ranking.

Their games continue to generate revenue on steam.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Spoken like a true bean counter. BEAN COUNTERS RISE UP!!

You see it as bean counting, but the reality is without profit margins, Sony simply can't do bigger things.

People like this think that money grows out of trees, but the reality is it doesn't.

Unprofitable companies shrink and diminish.

Look at Sega. Dreamcast was many times better than the Saturn, it didn't matter.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I think you need to look at Circana from August again............

Many of the YTD in revenue generated on steam had helldivers 2 and ghost in the top ranking.

Their games continue to generate revenue on steam.

Wait until SIE reports their financials and these same naysayers will just say it is short term operating income...

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Papacheeks

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
If you think it is that linear I have a bridge to sell you

Both CEOs would be across pricing changes

Rather than admit you didn't know what you were talking about, you've made a huge assumption without facts.

Nishino is in charge of platform and Hulst is in charge of software and IP.

If Hulst had input into pricing, he would be Nishino's boss and they wouldn't be bothering with co-CEOs.

They've segmented SIE into two different groups to better manage them.

The decision to raise prices is between Nishino, Tao, and Totoki at best Hulst would be looped in.

Do you know what a RACI is?

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
You see it as bean counting, but the reality is without profit margins, Sony simply can't do bigger things.

People like this think that money grows out of trees, but the reality is it doesn't.

Unprofitable companies shrink and diminish.

Look at Sega. Dreamcast was many times better than the Saturn, it didn't matter.

What bigger things are they doing, exactly? I'm talking specifically games, here. Oh more super-safe sequels? More remasters for games that still play and run perfectly fine? More GAAS when they couldn't build upon Helldivers 2 successfully because suits made stupid decisions at its peak?

You act like SIE was losing money. They weren't. Their profit margins declined a bit a couple years ago but they weren't in the red. You talk about it as if SIE are the only part of Sony making money or that SIE have to make up for the other parts of the company. That's stupid; SIE shouldn't have to carry the rest of the company. How about cutting back on Sony Picture's budgets? Maybe stop signing mediocre artists to Sony Music? Maybe try expanding margins for Aniplex & the mobile gaming side, aren't they really successful too?

Also lol @ comparing this to SEGA. Unless you're ready to admit SIE made a string of stupid mistakes with PS4 & PS5 this gen (and I would say they've made a string of dumb mistakes this gen but of course you won't agree with what those mistakes are), or had bad unconsolidated accounting, or have other parts of the company sagging putting pressure on the home gaming segment, then they aren't comparable. SEGA was spending above their paygrade and ruined goodwill with tons of bad business decisions.

PS4 wasn't a string of mistakes that PS5 is paying for; PS5 is (now) a string of mistakes leeching off the right moves made with PS4.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
What bigger things are they doing, exactly? I'm talking specifically games, here. Oh more super-safe sequels? More remasters for games that still play and run perfectly fine? More GAAS when they couldn't build upon Helldivers 2 successfully because suits made stupid decisions at its peak?

Helldivers 2 was a risk. They gave the game double the development time and look at how it turned out. Massive success. Blaming "suits" for what Arrowhead did in disabling the PSN requirement shows a level of bias that makes me wonder why I bother with you.

If they got GTA6 marketing, it didn't come cheap.

Getting Final Fantasy console exclusivity didn't come cheap.

You act like SIE was losing money. They weren't. Their profit margins declined a bit a couple years ago but they weren't in the red. You talk about it as if SIE are the only part of Sony making money or that SIE have to make up for the other parts of the company. That's stupid; SIE shouldn't have to carry the rest of the company. How about cutting back on Sony Picture's budgets? Maybe stop signing mediocre artists to Sony Music? Maybe try expanding margins for Aniplex & the mobile gaming side, aren't they really successful too?

Strawman argument... What is this tangent? What does Sony Pictures have to do with this argument? You clearly aren't familiar with Sony's divisions and how historically profitable they've been, especially at times where PlayStations profits were slim or non-existent.

From an ROI perspective, companies across gaming have leapfrogged Sony. Companies outside threaten Sony with their size alone.

Also lol @ comparing this to SEGA. Unless you're ready to admit SIE made a string of stupid mistakes with PS4 & PS5 this gen (and I would say they've made a string of dumb mistakes this gen but of course you won't agree with what those mistakes are), or had bad unconsolidated accounting, or have other parts of the company sagging putting pressure on the home gaming segment, then they aren't comparable. SEGA was spending above their paygrade and ruined goodwill with tons of bad business decisions.

PS4 wasn't a string of mistakes that PS5 is paying for; PS5 is (now) a string of mistakes leeching off the right moves made with PS4.

Yeah, I think I'm done with you.

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
Helldivers 2 is probably their most successful game in the 30 years they've been in the business
Lies.
50% of their players were on steam.
Grant turismo, God of War, Uncharted, Spiderman, horizon and TLoU all rank higher than Helldivers. All by more than double.
Games take longer to develop and cost more
You say this
You know herman gave them twice as much time to develop the game than what was planned right?
And then this.

What could be the correlation? 🤔
Yeah, I think I'm done with you.
Classic tactic of having your arse handed to you with facts and then putting that person on ignore.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I get the economy behind this. It's the entire industry these days.

But it's still ridiculous. We're at the half way point in the gen. Prices are supposes to be going down, not up. Taking a hit in the short term would be a better choice to get more people in the ecosystem in the long run.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I get the economy behind this. It's the entire industry these days.

But it's still ridiculous. We're at the half way point in the gen. Prices are supposes to be going down, not up. Taking a hit in the short term would be a better choice to get more people in the ecosystem in the long run.
Yea there's a ton of factors in this gen that has contributed. The biggest is no more cost saving on new Nodes for chips. Hence why USA is trying to spin up fabs without much success.

Also the cost of said laser's used by TSMC is astronomical. On top of the ripple effect across the globe of global economy break down from post covid. There'sa reason in UK/US/ some parts of Europe the price didn't really go up. It just stayed the same mostly.
But everywhere else it went up by a large margin to compensate for inflation, strength of currency, in asia's instance the strength of the yen is the lowest its been in history i believe.

On top of other global factors where just to ship freight is twice as expensive as it use to be because of whats going on in Middle east, Ukraine war, and China blocks.
If you were to compare the global environment from 2024 to 2017 night and day difference. There was no AI investment where it was causing issues in companies operating budgets, or focus.

Nodes for fabs were still fairly decent in price/return ratio. Shrinking of fabs gave decent cost cutting still. But Petrol was super cheap, freight was cheap, there were not hard limits on trading at the time with China or wars with countries where oil pipelines would be in jeoperdy.

The fact Nintendo is about to release a $400+ handheld shows you where we are.

Reactions: Hezekiah

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
People defending the price increase need to realise Sony most popular years was when they were taking a hit with hardware costs.
The software sales make up more than enough.

Something like this and price increases in Japan, really dont need to be happening. I know Nintendo and Apple are making money on hardware and its easier for Nintendo selling old tech, but Sony needs to combat this. Price increases in isnt the way

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Microsoft-Sony-Kooperation-Yoshida-Nadella-640x336.jpg

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Too much armchair analysis where Sony are called out for being greedy, when the increase in manufacturing costs has reversed compared to the past.

The $600 2tb Series X, and the upcoming $400+ Switch 2 which will be another portable based on an archaic APU, not to mention $1,000+ high-end GPUs from Nvidia and AMD says pretty much says it all.

• brain

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
People defending the price increase need to realise Sony most popular years was when they were taking a hit with hardware costs.

Something like this and price increases in Japan, really dont need to be happening. I know Nintendo and Apple are making money on hardware and its easier for Nintendo selling old tech, but Sony needs to combat this. Price increases in isnt the way

What have you been following? Everything has gone up specifically in tech? Look at gpu prices? Look at base price for new iPhones? iPhone 16 pro max is like $1500?

It’s not just Sony it’s around the world. God people on here are on something that makes critical thinking go out the window.

If Sony got huge discounts on fabs, parts, and didn’t have any added costs for inflation, freight cost etc. Then prices would come down. Case in point is look at market where they have had to increase price. Why did USA for most part not see an increase?

Because our economy is among the best compared to other countries. So there for there’s no added cost in our country compared to others. The US dollar has not weakened like others have in Asia, Brazil etc.

Seriously read a little bit. Could Sony eat the cost in these regions where prices went up dramatically? Probably. Should they when no one else is? Financially no.

Reactions: mibu no ookami

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Bah with this they will be ignored more in a market they are already irrelevant in, SK is dominated by the PC bang culture and the Sony idiots could have taken hits to grow in a market they are practically irrelevant in but no they go and increase prices so whatever sales they used to get will also tank. Hubris will tank this company, they gave up Japan to focus on whoring out to the States

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Seriously read a little bit. Could Sony eat the cost in these regions where prices went up dramatically? Probably. Should they when no one else is? Financially no.

Sony isn't going to eat cost when their number one goal is to grow as fast as possible. You need margins to do that.

There is a reason why Sony's market cap is only 112 billion. Despite being a top 5 movie/tv producer and a top 3 music producer.

Netflix was founded in 1997 yet they have a market cap of 327 billion dollars...

People complain about Netflix increasing prices or canceling shows before people are ready, but Netflix continues to grow...

Sony's only growth opportunity is through exponential growth lead by transmedia much like Marvel Studios. Video games movies will be the comic book movies of the 2030s and 2040s.

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland

Well, they reportedly only broke even on cost in 2021, when the console was going for $499. My guess is that inflation put them at a point where they would be selling at a loss again.

Selling at a loss can make some strategic sense at the beginning of a console generation, because you're locking someone into a ecosystem where they'll buy games for several years. However, if you're already eyeing the end of a generation, you have less time to recoop the losses from the hardware subsidy. They must've looked at an Excel chart, and decided this was what they had to do to remain profitable.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Well, they reportedly only broke even on cost in 2021, when the console was going for $499. My guess is that inflation put them at a point where they would be selling at a loss again.

Selling at a loss can make some strategic sense at the beginning of a console generation, because you're locking someone into a ecosystem where they'll buy games for several years. However, if you're already eyeing the end of a generation, you have less time to recoop the losses from the hardware subsidy. They must've looked at an Excel chart, and decided this was what they had to do to remain profitable.
I’d agree and it makes sense. But its still not a good look to increase your prices half way through a gen. Especially after they’ve done it before. This is normally when they consoles get a price drop, not increase lol

Reactions: DarkLordOtaku