Sony will increase the PS5 price in South Korea for the second time

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
I’d agree and it makes sense. But its still not a good look to increase your prices half way through a gen. Especially after they’ve done it before. This is normally when they consoles get a price drop, not increase lol
I agree. I think it just goes to show how significant pandemic inflation was, because they probably thought they'd be making these consoles for less over time, not more lol.

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
Too much armchair analysis where Sony are called out for being greedy, when the increase in manufacturing costs has reversed compared to the past.

The $600 2tb Series X, and the upcoming $400+ Switch 2 which will be another portable based on an archaic APU, not to mention $1,000+ high-end GPUs from Nvidia and AMD says pretty much says it all.
Microsoft are squeezing blood from a stone. The XSX 2tb is a way of clearing back channels of stock. They'll drop the price soon enough.

Switch 2 will be a portable PS4PRO which still cost £200 to buy. It's new hardware and Nintendo tax applies, like always.

Nvidia are money grabbers and have been slammed for years and years for their OTT pricing of their cards.

AMD announced that they will be moving away from High-end expensive GPUs as their bread and butter and will instead focus on offering the most cost: performance ratio mid-range cards on the market (thread on this very forum).

Sony are doing what arrogant Sony do worst; fuck their customers. We've seen this side of them before and it wasn't until competition stepped in to give them a black-eye did they sit up and take notice. That was good for both Sony and the industry.
This time Sony have no competition and are kids let loose in a sweet shop that they own. They're getting high off of their own supply and it won't end well.

Cue tikitoki sorrounded by PS5PRO parts as Sony shareholders storm his office, Scarface style.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Throwing in that stupid excuses for the pricing of Nintendo ('new' hardware hahaha), ignoring the manufacturing realities that exist in 2024. And AMD haven't competed at the very high-end for ages. And yet the MSRP for the 6900xt and 6950xt was $999 and $1,099 respectively. No idea why you decided to bring them up here, and if you think their next gen cards are going to be anything approaching cheap you're even more delusional than I thought.

Sounds about right 👍

Reactions: Papacheeks

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Throwing in that stupid excuses for the pricing of Nintendo ('new' hardware hahaha), ignoring the manufacturing realities that exist in 2024. And AMD haven't competed at the very high-end for ages. And yet the MSRP for the 6900xt and 6950xt was $999 and $1,099 respectively. No idea why you decided to bring them up here, and if you think their next gen cards are going to be anything approaching cheap you're even more delusional than I thought.

Sounds about right 👍

Well , AMD Actually acknowledged that cost wise making a high end card is not worth it. So RDNA4 cards are going to not exceed 500-$600.

• Informative
Reactions: Hezekiah

MrAss

24 May 2024
They're losing a lot of money on their cancelled and delayed gaas. So they need to somehow make the money back. Helldivers 2 was a success on it's own but not enough to cover tlou online, concord, London studio gaas, twisted metal gaas, deviation studios gaas and whatever they had among the "12 live service games to be released before the end of 2025 fiscal year".

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They're losing a lot of money on their cancelled and delayed gaas. So they need to somehow make the money back. Helldivers 2 was a success on it's own but not enough to cover tlou online, concord, London studio gaas, twisted metal gaas, deviation studios gaas and whatever they had among the "12 live service games to be released before the end of 2025 fiscal year".

I don't think you understand how investment in Projects work. Especially if some studios are external. Cancelling a game before it went into Full production does not cost you a ton.

Thats called management. They cut back, axed projects before they went into full production. Naughty Dog, and Concord for sure have their expenses. Concord was not 400m despite what everyone was reporting. And Sony came in much later to the studio who had already had a lot already developed. Sony had more wins than losses this year despite no big Tent pole title. Sales of Helldivers 2 have far exceeded the company's forcast. Money made on Black Myth Wukong contributed to PS5's being sold by large margins in a down month.

Followed by Astrobot's success, and sales for Ghost/God of war.

You can take a look at August Circana to understand where their software sales are.

They have way more wins than losses.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Well , AMD Actually acknowledged that cost wise making a high end card is not worth it. So RDNA4 cards are going to not exceed 500-$600.
I didn't see that quote but if it's true the cards will be dogshit, and certainly not 4k cards.

What they're really saying is that it's not worth it to them because the high-end belongs to Nvidia because the world and it's dog knows raytracing and upscaling are so far ahead on Team Green so won't buy AMD.

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland

I didn't see that quote but if it's true the cards will be dogshit, and certainly not 4k cards.

What they're really saying is that it's not worth it to them because the high-end belongs to Nvidia because the world and it's dog knows raytracing and upscaling are so far ahead on Team Green so won't buy AMD.
My assumption is this is a reference to the Jack Huyhn interview from September.

TH: Price point-wise, you have leadership, but you won't go after the flagship market?

JH: One day, we may. But my priority right now is to build scale for AMD. Because without scale right now, I can't get the developers. If I tell developers, ‘I’m just going for 10 percent of the market share,’ they just say, ‘Jack, I wish you well, but we have to go with Nvidia.’ So, I have to show them a plan that says, 'Hey, we can get to 40% market share with this strategy.' Then they say, 'I’m with you now, Jack. Now I’ll optimize on AMD.' Once we get that, then we can go after the top.

As a point of clarification, they did not outright say they were exiting the high-end GPU market entirely for consumer products. However, they made it clear, they felt they have the biggest opportunity to grow at scale in the mid-range market.