Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
FWIW, I don't follow those people. I may see a post of theirs pop up on Twitter but I don't engage with them at all. My speculation was mostly my own, and if anything it was Mascot Spencer constantly talking and promoting himself (and Xbox) combined with Sony's quietness in areas and seeing SE's market cap drop the way it did, that led me to speculate stuff like VII Remake on Xbox could've happened.

Now I don't 100% understand the seemingly 3-month exclusivity window for Rebirth and if Sony opted for that themselves or not (with privilege to extend), but I guess this does make it a lot less likely any of the FF VII Remakes will be on Xbox anytime soon or possibly even ever. And, considering Microsoft's long-term plans and seedy, outright anticompetitive (in quite a few) ways of wanting to accomplish them, I'm quite happy with that scenario.

Though, there's still a chance the games get ported to the Switch 2 🤔...
I think Sony has ultimately the last word if FF7R launches on other platforms including Nintendo. The reports were true: Sony did indeed fully find the whole project. The would be nuts to put wanted games on competitors platforms.
Also that today FF7R didn’t get announced solidify further my prediction that Square Enix will be acquired by Sony in 2024.
That's good but Sega is even more in bed with MS (if that's possible). It's like they don't want to sell games anymore. Everything on Game Pass.
Nah it’s only old stuff. As we know Sony they want only new stuff. Persona 6 will be probably timed-exclusive for a year and then most people will start crying again. Mission accomplished.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
That's good but Sega is even more in bed with MS (if that's possible). It's like they don't want to sell games anymore. Everything on Game Pass.
They might be content to take those Gamepass checks and double dip with platforms like PlayStation and Switch where people actually buy the games in reasonable numbers.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They might be content to take those Gamepass checks and double dip with platforms like PlayStation and Switch where people actually buy the games in reasonable numbers.
It kills the sales on other platforms too. Self-sabotage and destroying the value of their IPs. Look at how worthless Bethesda is now.

Genki the full-time xbot ambassador shill. His tweets recently are so suspicious. Xbox everywhere.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Told you no FF7R for Xbox. 🤷🏻‍♂️

They’re so upset in the Xbox thread on trashera and now some of the green rats are still hoping it comes to Xbox next year-

-“Also I can’t really stress enough that FF7R is a bombshell of a game that would fit at Xbox E3 much more than just TGS, so if it’s happening, it’ll be there so they can announce all 4 FF games for Xbox on stage like they did with Persona last year”-

A 4 year old port is a bombshell??????? They have Bethesda, supposedly one the greatest RPG developers out there(yeah right)and all they can worry about is Final Fantasy and other Japanese games. Tells how worthless Bethesda actually is.

These people need help. They want to take everything away from PlayStation. At this point they’re just blabbering to saying nothing. They don’t know what what they want.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
They’re so upset in the Xbox thread on trashera and now some of the green rats are still hoping it comes to Xbox next year-

-“Also I can’t really stress enough that FF7R is a bombshell of a game that would fit at Xbox E3 much more than just TGS, so if it’s happening, it’ll be there so they can announce all 4 FF games for Xbox on stage like they did with Persona last year”-

A 4 year old port is a bombshell??????? They have Bethesda, supposedly one the greatest RPG developers out there(yeah right)and all they can worry about is Final Fantasy and other Japanese games. Tells how worthless Bethesda actually is.

These people need help. They want to take everything away from PlayStation. At this point they’re just blabbering to saying nothing. They don’t know what what they want.
That xbox retera thread is always near the top of the most actives too. Its like the last stand or safe space for xbox discussion. Outside of that no one even mentions xbox, its games, or anything going on with it. And its awlays like the same 5 people.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
It kills the sales on other platforms too. Self-sabotage and destroying the value of their IPs. Look at how worthless Bethesda is now.

Genki the full-time xbot ambassador shill. His tweets recently are so suspicious. Xbox everywhere.

Yeah, some of his tweets and takes make more sense now. I don't get what these people see in that platform and why they want to see them eliminate Playstation so badly. I wonder if there are any media / influencers who are actual Playstation fans and aren't fake neutrals secretly wishing for their downfall.

Last edited:
  • sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

Xbox must be in pretty dire shape if some old ports is a bombshell for them.

Reactions: Dabaus

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022

Got that feeling on the dude a long time back. Just hoping, praying and wishing for Xbox to do stuff in Japan that realistically the brand is not situated to do.

I feel like a lot of these content creators have no spine when they meet people like Phil Spencer IRL. Understandable to some extent; you're meeting the CEO of a massive gaming division. Not everyone gets to do that. If I ever came across them IRL though, I don't know if I could bite my tongue, figuratively speaking, and bring up my actual concerns with their stated pathway to growth in this industry.

I think Sony has ultimately the last word if FF7R launches on other platforms including Nintendo. The reports were true: Sony did indeed fully find the whole project. The would be nuts to put wanted games on competitors platforms.
Also that today FF7R didn’t get announced solidify further my prediction that Square Enix will be acquired by Sony in 2024.

See this is where being more vocal in enthusiasts spaces would benefit Sony, because when it comes to the matter of FF VII you see SOOO MANY people say it's "just" a moneyhat.

Then Microsoft themselves using that same language to act as if Sony violated their civil rights just to play victim to regulators even when they get like 80% - 90% of the same Japanese 3P games PlayStation does these days.

They simply want PlayStation to have nothing unique when it comes to 3P games, while also wanting Microsoft to buy up as many 3P publishers Sony are close to as possible. Their motives are nothing but malicious, which is why their posts read like 5-year-olds throwing a temper tantrum when they see the other kid at the store get a toy they want, screaming at the top of their lungs so mommy and daddy cave in to the rampage and buy it for them, too.

That is the mentality of some of these people on ResetERA who are fervent Xbox fans and continuously cry about FF VII (and now, XVI) skipping Xbox when they literally just got Starfield two weeks ago. And it's magnitudes worst than any PS diehard who was crying over Starfield, because the Xbox ones have been doing this song and dance about FF for almost a decade.

Last edited:

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Are there any influencers and youtubers / media people who are legit fans of Playstation? I've heard of mystic Ryan and people like PuertoRock, but who else?

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

It's all about engagement, it's no secret the xbox shills are out in force on twitter liking anything positive xbox related.

So these dudes will chase that engagment as they are actually making money off it, as twitter does revenue sharing with premium members.

And one of the criteria is this

Have at least 5M organic impressions on your cumulative posts within the last 3 months.

I put them on mute, good riddance.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

I see Genki got bought out as well.

@AshHunter216

Sony has no official influencers. Ryan is a PS youtube channel, rather large but he doesn;t engage in fanboy BS, Reports the news as they are, makes smaller documentaries and collection updates.

Puertorock is your typical twitter fanboy with a small following. So yeah, Sony has no decent influencers.

Reactions: Dabaus

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

I see Genki got bought out as well.

@AshHunter216

Sony has no official influencers. Ryan is a PS youtube channel, rather large but he doesn;t engage in fanboy BS, Reports the news as they are, makes smaller documentaries and collection updates.

Puertorock is your typical twitter fanboy with a small following. So yeah, Sony has no decent influencers.
I'm not looking for paid shills or necessarily huge audience, just more perspectives from people who don't actively want to see the platform fail just to benefit Microsoft.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
This just means how little it costs for them to actually make their games compared to the other devs. If their games actually costed anything high they wouldn't even bother to put them on it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023

Nah it’s only old stuff. As we know Sony they want only new stuff. Persona 6 will be probably timed-exclusive for a year and then most people will start crying again. Mission accomplished.
It would make the most sense that they would. I mean it's a legacy title for both P.S and Square. Their very first collaborated Final Fantasy game they made if they didnt make the original Final Fantasy VII they most certainly wouldn't be what they are today.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Kinda 🤔 that Square is their highest priority in possibly acquiring otherwise I l'd like to think Hoyoverse would be up there if they're trying to get into the mobile corner as well. Square also fits that bill. Larian also seems like a good choice for them since that's a company that cares about the quality of their work which would easily fit into Playstations quality portfolio. I know Capcom would be a good idea but I don't really see that happening.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Sony tend to be very slow to react to things based on what I've seen from them, but I think they will eventually react in some way. Hopefully they recognize that we want to keep getting Japanese games on Playstation and hopefully none of the major Japanese publishers are interested in being outright owned by a western entity.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
https://www.resetera.com/threads/analyzing-the-strategy-of-microsofts-acquisitions.737631/page-4

These Grade-A clowns are ALREADY hyping up the next publisher for MS to buy relevancy through. Take a guess what names are floating around.

FWIW I think some of the posters on that page are being sarcastic and tongue-and-cheek, or just neutrally accepting that MS probably won't stop at ABK because we do have Satya Nadella himself on record saying they'd be looking at other targets. And we know how desperate Microsoft are for a Japanese publisher.

But some of them are definitely likely salivating at the prospect of Microsoft buying another publisher and are just trying to be muted in that thread discussion for the time being. I say this because those particular users, have been some of the most vocal in support of the ABK acquisition, and basically cheered Xbox pom-poms in doing so. I did throw some names in another post among biggest Xbox fans on that forum, one or two would probably look familiar.

What I will just say, is that I am now 100% ethically opposed to any further gaming acquisitions Microsoft even wants to consider making that aren't Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal or Certain Affinity. Those are the only three I feel would not be completely destructive to the long-term prognosis of 3P market stability and freedom of creative, technical & financial choice for 3P in this industry. It would take them at least 10 years of consistent, high-quality output between the XGS teams, Zenimax and ABK for me to even be open to the idea of them buying yet another 3P publisher, doesn't matter the size.

Of course the idiots will come out and the only thing that should matter is who's got the money and who's looking to sell. Yes, what a way to boil down the creative interest in the hobby you should have, to being a bean counter for suits and shareholders at corporations who don't even consider the voices of creatives under them. Especially so it would seem with Microsoft's ambitions. Between that and trying to backdoor their way into other publishers and platform holders (no doubt to destabilize them in some fashion to make it easier to take advantage of and buy them outright), I offer no support to Microsoft or Xbox in their M&A endeavors post-ABK. And the only reason I'm even begrudgingly accepting of ABK is because it just seems like more of an inevitability with the FTC being the only major holdout now.

Quite frankly, without some massive change in corporate mentality regarding growth and backing off of anticompetitive practices for eating a bigger share of the market, I'd rather see Xbox fall under than the industry as a whole. Too bad for the potential of the hardware and platform, but with the current leadership the potential will never truly be realized.

Reactions: Puff and JAHGamer