Sony's Jim Ryan is confident the PS5 can sell at least 108 million units

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
91625_323_sonys-jim-ryan-is-confident-the-ps5-can-sell-at-least-108-million-units.png

In a recent games business briefing, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan said that he strongly believes that the PS5 family of hardware will break 108 million sales worldwide across its life cycle. This would put the PS5 just below the PS4's 117.2 million shipments, but above the PS1's 102.4 million lifetime shipments.

"Yes, I would anticipate that over the life of the PlayStation 5, that we should be able to exceed a figure of 70 million on top of the 38 million [we have achieved]," Ryan said in the Q&A section of the meeting's webcast.

"The reason I say that is the 70 million I think is the existing PlayStation 4 user base, and while we would hope to convert a large number of those people, we will definitely target and and definitely be successful in bringing large numbers of gamers who did not own a PlayStation 4, and in many instances, who have never owned a PlayStation at all.

"I am very optimistic over the life of this platform that we will exceed the number that you mentioned."

91625_16_sonys-jim-ryan-is-confident-the-ps5-can-sell-at-least-108-million-units.png

Elsewhere in the presentation, Sony confirmed that management expects the PS5 to overtake the PS4 all in all relevant KPIs, including launch-aligned sell-through. PS5 console sell-through is currently at 36 million compared to its shipments of 38.4 million, which essentially means that Sony has shipped 2.4 million more PS5s than it has sold. The company expects demand to remain strong for quite some time.

The games giant has plans to ship a whopping 30.5 million units in Fiscal Year 2023, which would put the PS5 at over 3.2 million units ahead of the PS4 in launch-aligned performance.

91625_145_sonys-jim-ryan-is-confident-the-ps5-can-sell-at-least-108-million-units.png

91625_54_sonys-jim-ryan-is-confident-the-ps5-can-sell-at-least-108-million-units.png

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9162...an-sell-at-least-108-million-units/index.html

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Still don't see this outselling the PS4 but I'm sure they'll crack 100 million unless they truly continue on their erosion of good will path they are currently on.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I don't see why it wouldn't outsell the PS4 unless the games end up being really lackluster. The Series sucks way more than the Xbox One did.

• haha
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I don't see why it wouldn't outsell the PS4 unless the games end up being really lackluster. The Series sucks way more than the Xbox One did.

Do you remember the Xbox one? It was anemic and more expensive than the ps4, with a peripheral no one wanted on top.

Series consoles are better than one by some margin. Console business is about reputation and consistency. The PS5 is riding the coatails of the ps4 era while the series consoles have to deal with the poor reputation of the Xbox one.

Still, these estimates show there are limits to console gaming. Nintendo axing it's home console last gen. Sony don't getting past 115 M Xbox selling 55 M

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Do you remember the Xbox one? It was anemic and more expensive than the ps4, with a peripheral no one wanted on top.

Series consoles are better than one by some margin. Console business is about reputation and consistency. The PS5 is riding the coatails of the ps4 era while the series consoles have to deal with the poor reputation of the Xbox one.

Still, these estimates show there are limits to console gaming. Nintendo axing it's home console last gen. Sony don't getting past 115 M Xbox selling 55 M
Do you remember the Series S? Do you remember that we are on year 3 and it has hardly released any exclusives?

24 Jun 2022

FWIW Series are tracking below XBO and closer to OG Xbox in global sales. It's been that way for a few months now.

Anyway, I'm curious why he said "at least 108 million"? Why not aim to reach at least PS4's numbers, knowing that system was cut short by the pandemic and chip/component shortages?

Reactions: Nhomnhom

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You're actually right. While the series consoles have the X model, it's clear that microsoft's strategy is pushing the S as the base spec. The difference is bigger than the ps4 to xbo.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
FWIW Series are tracking below XBO and closer to OG Xbox in global sales. It's been that way for a few months now.

Anyway, I'm curious why he said "at least 108 million"? Why not aim to reach at least PS4's numbers, knowing that system was cut short by the pandemic and chip/component shortages?

Don't let welfare read that. We all know the series consoles have sold at least 45 billion units, and have a further 7 billion in stock. And that's US alone!

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They'll need a Pro model to get people to double dip or bigger buy-in from the developing world if they want to continue meaningful growth generation to generation. So yeah, this sounds like a good enough low bar for them to cross.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sorry mate, I meant to say 48 billion. No need to be upset!
No, no, don't you see? Xbox would clearly be selling as much as ps5 if only it weren't supply constrained, my 2 data points from amazon best sellers that I looked at some undisclosed time ago proves it! Microsoft created so much demand that it created a demand black hole that sucked all the demand away from substitute products like the forza bundle and series s! Also available series x stock are a conspiracy theory, the moon landing wasn't real!

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Do you remember the Series S? Do you remember that we are on year 3 and it has hardly released any exclusives?

Say what you will but series S is great HW for the price and the target market it aims. Exclusive wise there is not that much difference between the consoles on the timeframe, specially if we take into account that Starfield, Forza 8 and others will release on year 3.

That Kinect + early Xbox one era was the worst for MS by far. What you see today is the result of the damage that was done back then.

Last edited:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Still don't see this outselling the PS4 but I'm sure they'll crack 100 million unless they truly continue on their erosion of good will path they are currently on.

Lets Sticky this post and check back in a few years

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
108 is low, if they dont sell more than 130 / 135, I'll be disappointed.

I understand lockdowns and all but they still have monster demand and the only reason they'd sell less is because they didn't provide the excitement and games that the audience wants....

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Say what you will but series S is great HW for the price and the target market it aims. Exclusive wise there is not that much difference between the consoles on the timeframe, specially if we take into account that Starfield, Forza 8 and others will release on year 3.

That Kinect + early Xbox one era was the worst for MS by far. What you see today is the result of the damage that was done back then.
Series S is horrible hardware both for the price and horrible hardware in general. It's offensive that the PS5 DE is $399 and the Series S is officially $299.

I can't take anyone seriously that says that the Series S is good hardware or that it provides good value. I can't think of a console with a worst value proposition.

Your opinion about there being no difference in output between the Xbox and PlayStation in the first 3 years make me wonder if you aren't just a troll or paid shill.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Series S is horrible hardware both for the price and horrible hardware in general. It's offensive that the PS5 DE is $399 and the Series S is officially $299.

I can't take anyone seriously that says that the Series S is good hardware or that it provides good value. I can't think of a console with a worst value proposition.

Your opinion about there being no difference in output between the Xbox and PlayStation in the first 3 years make me wonder if you aren't just a troll or paid shill.
It's good hardware for the price, though. The problem is that below a certain bom cost the cuts you have to make to hardware specs becomes too severe to make a compelling product. Like, say what you want but the series s is way better than the same-prices switch. If they had taken just $50 more they could have put in 12gb of non split, higher bandwidth vram, 26 CU instead of 20 to make things way easier to translate games from series s to series x.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

I never said there was no difference in output between xbox ONE and PS4. I just compared XBOX ONE vs XBOX SERIES first 3 years and concluded that there is no significant difference in output between them.

PS5 DE? You mean the one you could barely find for 2/3 years? To this day I have never seen one in stores. If the DE was widely available then yeah, its a no brainer. Sony should have made the DE its only SKU and cut the middleman.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
No, no, don't you see? Xbox would clearly be selling as much as ps5 if only it weren't supply constrained, my 2 data points from amazon best sellers that I looked at some undisclosed time ago proves it! Microsoft created so much demand that it created a demand black hole that sucked all the demand away from substitute products like the forza bundle and series s! Also available series x stock are a conspiracy theory, the moon landing wasn't real!

The Theory of Demand Void
-anonpuffs, dodkrake

Fuck we're gonna be rich.

• fire
Reactions: anonpuffs

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Lets Sticky this post and check back in a few years
Go ahead! It's my opinion. I'd love if they did. I want nothing but to see Playstation flourish to new heights. Maybe I'm being pessimistic because of recent events. I hope to be wrong. So sticky away