Sony’s stock value drop by about $10b after lowering PS5’s sales forecast for the fiscal year, analysts question near decade-low profit margin

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
To put the drop into the context of the big picture, here's the last year, 5 years and max graphs:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Under their PlayStation PC publishing label yes, but they published may other PC games with other labels:

• In the '80s (started in 1983/1984) Sony made MSX computers and games for them, some of them developed in my hometown.
  • During the 90s also published PC (and Nintendo/Sega) games as CSG Imagesoft/Sony Imagesoft/Sony Electronic Publishing, which part of it ended merged with other team to create 989 Studio and other part remained as Sony Interactive PC Software America (which published Wipeout).
  • In the '90s Psygnosis, while acquired by what now is SIE developed games for PC (plus Saturn or N64) like Wipeout, Wipeout 2098/XL, The City of Lost Children, The Adventures of Lomax, Toy Story, Monster Trucks, Shadow Master, Rush Hour or both Rollcage games to name a few of them.
  • As Sony Online Entertainment (originally owned by what today is SIE) they published games like the Everquest series, Matrix Online,Wizardry Online or Pirates of the Burning Sea, Payday, DC Univers Online, Bullet Run or Vanguard: Saga of Heroes since the '90s until they sold it in 2020.
  • They published as Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc. / UNTIES several games in Steam since 2017 as TINY METAL, 3rd eye, BATTLLOON and The Midnight Sanctuary.
  • Sony Pictures Virtual Reality also published games and VR experienes on Steam since 2017 like Ghostbusters VR: Firehouse, Jumanji: The VR Adventure, Ghostbusters VR: Showdown, Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son or Spider-Man: Far From Home Virtual Reality.
TLDR: Sony has been making PC games since forever using different labels.
Very true

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
that was when PS5 happened
Yes and ussually when a new console launches they ussually lose money, look at FY 2000, FY2006, and FY2013 the PS2, Ps3, and PS4 launch years were all unprofitable. The only system that for sure launched in a profitable year besides the PS5 was the PSP. I think the vita launched in a year that actually was profitable but it was super profitable tho

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Yes and ussually when a new console launches they ussually lose money, look at FY 2000, FY2006, and FY2013 the PS2, Ps3, and PS4 launch years were all unprofitable. The only system that for sure launched in a profitable year besides the PS5 was the PSP. I think the vita launched in a year that actually was profitable but it was super profitable tho

You are basing on a outdated concept. Nowadays games and network services offset the cost. Previous consoles didn't have that luxury.

Sony released tlous part 2, ghost, spiderman miles morales. I might be forgetting loads of stuff but these 3 sold tons that. Also horizon on pc flopped

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I don't know if he had to say they predicted less sales but that was dumb AF oc the stock price was going to drop lol
They (Sony) have been doing great these past few years not talking and just acting but here comes this bozo talking so ppl can twist his words.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Looks like I'm going to have to spell out what I said because good lord did people take it the wrong way
I mean I know your not saying that 2 million PC sales coincidentally that year allowed them to be the most profitable lol that is nothing in the grand scheme of things. They just happened to be more profitable that year, not because of those miniscule PC sales.
Of course, What about my comment would make you believe that I meant Horizon Zero Dawn and Predator: Hunting Grounds coming to PC was the reason for Sony's most profitable year?

All I said was 2020 was there most profitable year and the idea of "their profits were all time high back when they used to make Only On PlayStation a thing" is absolutely false!
All FY from 2013-2019 were no where near as profitable as 2020 with the exception of 2018 coming sort of close. Also technically Sony even published PC games in 2015 and 2016 with Helldiver's and Everybody's gone to the rapture but I get what you guy's mean first party stuff like Horizon and God of War on PC are different from those games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
it didn't even sell 2m in its first year 😂 it was like 500k. It had more to do with the plandemic, but even 2019 and 2018 were really good years for PS.
I agree, doesn't change the fact that the post I was replying to said "their profits were all time high back when they used to make Only On PlayStation a thing" which no matter how you slice it is false. I'm not saying PlayStation on PC is the reason why they have hit such highs at the beginning of the PS5 generation but I am pointing out that Sony's is in a much better position now than they were thru out the PS4 years (2018 did come close tho.) and all of the PS1 and PS2 generation

Last edited:

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
This makes no sense. Their profits would be at an all time high despite PC ports.
What make's no sense? What in my post said Sony's high profit's were because of PC ports????

I replied to a post saying "their profits were all time high back when they used to make Only On PlayStation a thing" which is false as 2020 is there most profitable year which is when the PlayStation PC push started including first party games. I am not saying Sony's high profit's that year are because they had two PC games that year (I believe Horizon and predator) but You can't say PlayStation's profits were at an all time high when only at PlayStation was a thing. Only PlayStations FY2018 profits come close t what they made in 2020 and even in 2018 they had already published Helldivers and Everybody has gone to the rapture on PC at that point!

I don't get why you guys are putting words in my mouth and I am not pushing for more PC releases or anything like that from PlayStation but there is no denying that the record books say they were there most successful in 2020 and so far the PS5 generation has been way more successful for Sony that the PS4 generation.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
You are basing on a outdated concept. Nowadays games and network services offset the cost. Previous consoles didn't have that luxury.

Sony released tlous part 2, ghost, spiderman miles morales. I might be forgetting loads of stuff but these 3 sold tons that. Also horizon on pc flopped
The post I was replying to said the PS5 was the reason Sony's most profitable year was 2020. I was just pointing out the PS5 was sold at a loss so that the PS5 releasing wouldn't explain why 2020 was such a high year. Also I agree with your post, yes stuff like Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU Pt2. Miles Morales (I know this was PS5 too) releasing on a system like PS4 which had around 110 million console out there are all great reasons why 2020 was such a high, Not the PS5 which would of eaten into the profits which makes 2020 such an impressive year.

Reactions: SLB1904

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I agree, doesn't change the fact that the post I was replying to said "their profits were all time high back when they used to make Only On PlayStation a thing" which no matter how you slice it is false. I'm not saying PlayStation on PC is the reason why they have hit such highs at the beginning of the PS5 generation but I am pointing out that Sony's is in a much better position now than they were thru out the PS4 years (2018 did come close tho.) and all of the PS1 and PS2 generation
That’s not true because HZD was ported in 2019, Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2 released in 2020, and they both still had the “Only on PlayStation” marketing on the box. So yes, it was still very much a thing in 2020. You know you’re wrong but you still choose to argue for the sake of arguing with these petty semantics 🤦‍♂️Just take your L and move along

IMG_9015.png

IMG_9016.jpg

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
That’s not true because HZD was ported in 2019, Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2 released in 2020, and they both still had the “Only on PlayStation” marketing on the box. So yes, it was still very much a thing in 2020. You know you’re wrong but you still choose to argue for the sake of arguing with these petty semantics 🤦‍♂️Just take your L and move along

IMG_9015.png

IMG_9016.jpg
no your wrong, Horizon Zero Dawn was ported to PC on August 7th, 2020. https://www.ign.com/articles/horizon-zero-dawn-pc-specs-minimum-recommended

Also what "semantics" are you talking about? The post I relied to literally said "their profits were all time high back when they used to make Only On PlayStation a thing"

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
no your wrong, Horizon Zero Dawn was ported to PC on August 7th, 2020. https://www.ign.com/articles/horizon-zero-dawn-pc-specs-minimum-recommended

Also what "semantics" are you talking about? The post I relied to literally said "their profits were all time high back when they used to make Only On PlayStation a thing"
Sorry, I meant it was rumored to be going to pc in 2019, and it was confirmed by Sony in March 2020. 2 more games released after that confirmation with only on PlayStation branding, so regardless, you’re wrong. It is semantics, arguing fervently about something you know has no effect on the bottom line, just because.