Speculation: AI is the reason for all these layoffs in the business

8BiTw0LF

We've only seen the top of the iceberg at this point when it comes to what AI can do - but we know ChatGPT is one hell of a coding-tool and the first ones to lose their jobs, are people in the tech business.

AGI might be just around the corner and when that's established and accessible for corporations, we'll see a lot more layoffs.

Imagine implementing AI into Unreal Editor for Fortnite. A couple lines of a description of what you want and after 20 seconds you'll have a fully functional game.

Just based on what we know now about AI, we know it will disrupt the business on a larger scale.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
AI can do thing like being writing social media posts, gathering datas like feedbacks, at warp speed

Those human are useless now, now they will go back to work at retail

OP
OP

8BiTw0LF

AI can do thing like being writing social media posts, gathering datas like feedbacks, at warp speed

Those human are useless now, now they will go back to work at retail
One coder with ChatGPT can replace ten coders at this point.

When AGI is out all human coders can be replaced - easily.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Maybe three or four years from now, but in 2023 I think its post-covid restructuring of economics. Even if gaming itself barely goes downhill financially, the growth potential isn't so immediately, blindingly obvious as it was two or three years ago. This is also why new studio seeding has dried up.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Many of the layoffs we have in the last few days are to do with vertical integration.....

Publishing operations, communications, legal etc that the acquirer already had a lot of.

It's unfortunate,

But AI will lead to people losing their jobs, no doubt. These companies would run with just one person if they could...

These days, it's better to be creative and start your own thing than work for these thankless dead-end jobs.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
It's not just in gaming but a lot of industries

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Looking forward to a future where AI buys their own products, since people can't afford them due to jobs not existing. Automation, AI, all these tools should have been used for humans to be able to work less and less. Instead, they are being used to line up the pockets of those who don't put in any meaningful work.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
rich will get richer and working and consumer classes will get poorer.
this all AI shit is terrible.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
The Finals using AI.

Hacks are big mad.

Keep it rolling AI train.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I don't think it's AI. These companies went on a hiring spree on the pandemic thinking this abnormal level of spend on videogames would last forever. Now things are getting back to normal.

Also I love how news outlets always report mass layoffs but never mass hirings.