(Speculative) Gearbox is likely to leave Embracer |UP|Embracer in final stages to sell Gearbox, announcement expected in March

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

1709227153808.png

Update...

Gearbox CEO and co-founder Randy Pitchford held a town hall with staff earlier this week in which he told employees that a decision had been made regarding the studio’s future, with more information to be shared next month, according to two sources familiar with the meeting. For months now Pitchford has told developers at Gearbox that there were three possible scenarios: stay with Embracer, sell to someone else, or finance a buyout and go back to being independently run. Kotaku understands that the decision was made to sell, and a deal is in the late stages of being finalized.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Idk what Embracer’s end game was but doesn't seem to be working out.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

Their endgame was to amass a ridiculous amount of studios and IPs and then rely on a series of funding calls and investment deals as well as taking loans to bridge the gap between then and the time it would take for their new studios to finally release products to make revenue.
So yes, they took the most riskiest approach to growing for them to fall flat on their face as the COVID boom disappeared, loans more expensive and economies tanked.

Lars Wingefors and the other suits at Embracer essentially went all-in and hoped everything would work out.

It didn't.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Good to see this Nigerian email scam of a game publisher isn't going to liquidate some of these long-standing teams.

I wanted to know if Embrace made a profit selling them back their freedom at $500M. What I found in the acquisition announcement is ambiguous:

The purchase price includes an initial consideration of USD 150 million, plus an earn-out consideration, subject to fulfilment of agreed milestones, of a maximum USD 375 million.

Looks like they could've made a big profit

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Good to see this Nigerian email scam of a game publisher isn't going to liquidate some of these long-standing teams.

I wanted to know if Embrace made a profit selling them back their freedom at $500M. What I found in the acquisition announcement is ambiguous:

Considering how much Saber grew from 2020 to now and Embracer would be on the hook for those expenses, it's probably not a lot tbh.

• Informative
Reactions: flaccidsnake
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Interesting indeed.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Gearbox CEO and co-founder Randy Pitchford held a town hall with staff earlier this week in which he told employees that a decision had been made regarding the studio’s future, with more information to be shared next month, according to two sources familiar with the meeting. For months now Pitchford has told developers at Gearbox that there were three possible scenarios: stay with Embracer, sell to someone else, or finance a buyout and go back to being independently run. Kotaku understands that the decision was made to sell, and a deal is in the late stages of being finalized.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

My god, the big industry news in the last 2 months have been INSANE, if you're not at least checking the internet once or twice a day you're going to miss things lmao.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

I still feel like there's a better Borderlands to be made. After Battleborn, I wonder if they still have the sauce.

• fire

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Saber is the best run and highest quality of the big Embracer vg divisions. Glad to see they escaped with no cuts

The two EU divisions can fuck off back to being jank sweatshops, CDE can do work for hire and Gearbox... well... sounds like someone else will own them now.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Also, for those who care, Saber was a unique acquisition because their ownership actually got class A Embracer stock in their deal and later brought more of it. So part of the sale price was probably a stock swap.

• Informative
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
My son really loved Borderlands so I know he's hoping another comes.

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Not that difficult. The pandemic had a massive blow up in gaming/social media.

All other business were not making revenues as gaming social media during pandemic. A whole bunch of goofy execs ,investors shifted their money jump into gaming and Fucked it all up. See embracer. See PS with ridiculous quarterly targets. All these company's that jumped into gaming. Failed to understand that the pandemic numbers were never real ,never sustainable.

People say us regular folk dont know big business. Yet at consumer level we are always right when it comes to greed and what sells. We always right on what will flop.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

All other business were not making revenues as gaming social media during pandemic. A whole bunch of goofy execs ,investors shifted their money jump into gaming and Fucked it all up. See embracer. See PS with ridiculous quarterly targets. All these company's that jumped into gaming. Failed to understand that the pandemic numbers were never real ,never sustainable.

People say us regular folk dont know big business. Yet at consumer level we are always right when it comes to greed and what sells. We always right on what will flop.
Mine was more a figure of speech and was more rhetorical but thnks for inputting 💪lol

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Everyone either leaving or getting laid off what a shame

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

That's not true, projections were nonsense, not the current state. If you look at the data, gaming doing as great as in covid time, just that growth never was going to last.
Yhis is just suits trying to sweeze every last penny out of devs and customers.