(Speculative) Gearbox is likely to leave Embracer |UP|Embracer in final stages to sell Gearbox, announcement expected in March

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Also, for those who care, Saber was a unique acquisition because their ownership actually got class A Embracer stock in their deal and later brought more of it. So part of the sale price was probably a stock swap.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/embracer-sells-saber-interactive-for-247m
I was right, the new owner is the old owner! Horray me!

What I didn't call was them divesting from Russia, which is where they used to do most of their work, I had assumed that the guy buying it actively wanted them there, since they hadn't really taken many moves to get out prior to this. Though they did take one big one, launching a studio in Armenia last year, presumably to be staffed with members emigrating from the team in Russia. Looking at it now, they seem to have quietly wound things down over the past few years, with only two support studios left to close. And even then, they might survive independently, looking at what the Embracer announcement actually says:

All Russian employees have been transferred to new entities that are wholly owned by local management that work exclusively with the Buyer. Embracer will initiate a liquidation process to dissolve any Russian companies in accordance with Russian legislation.

Last edited: