21 Jun 2022
N3qvAPq.png

link

yes-jack-nicholson.gif

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
This is one particular game mechanic where I gladly hand-hold devs. No thanks.

Played other Spider-mans before where the aid and general design was poor - result is always player frustration in the end, regardless of how good you get. Eventually you fuck up and get frustrated for wasting your time.

OP
OP
Nym

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
This is one particular game mechanic where I gladly hand-hold devs. No thanks.

Played other Spider-mans before where the aid and general design was poor - result is always player frustration in the end, regardless of how good you get. Eventually you fuck up and get frustrated for wasting your time.

the speed limit sucked balls, the no fall damage was laughable, no boosting, shitty wall running, weird charge jump, the very heavy handed swing assists and extremely forgiving mechanics provided absolutely no high skill ceiling to shoot for - I probably put hundreds of hours into previous Spider-man games just swinging around, but I got really bored in Insomniac's game after having completed everything. Because the swinging had no challenge at all to it, nothing particularly skillful you could do like in Web of Shadows or SM2, both of which I believe had amazing fast paced and high skill ceiling swing and movement mechanics that were also accessible.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
A difference in tastes. I prefer to focus on the combat, the game is basically a brawler - Rockesteady's free-flow combat but with Spiderman/Insomniac take. The Swinging for me is more about providing verticality, providing a change of pace in traversal from point A to point B. It's also good for creating a change of scenery feeling to keep you engaged in-between objectives or activities in the city. Definitely not something I just enjoy doing for the sake of the mechanic itself. It's like horses in other games. It doesn't hurt if it caters to folks like you I guess, you're after all a consumer just like me. As long as my hand holding stays in place the option is fine. Insomniac did a solid job with the first one; making web swinging traversal second nature and not something getting in the way of the core game. Insomniac got soundly rewarded for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nym

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Baby controls are fine just give me a high skill ceiling