Square Enix: Focused strategy - less mid sized, more larger AAA console games

PriorPancake

4 Aug 2023
Can't say I'm surprised about them moving away from AA when they make the genius decision to release 4 or 5 AAs in the span of a few months.

As for FF16 I might be wrong but it seems they (or analysts?) still hoped for more but at the very least it reached their expectations and is turning into profit.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
That's too bad. We need more AA style games from all these big studios. I guess this also shuts down the possibility of a vagrant story remaster.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
As squares stock collapses you’d think Sony would be smart enough to buy stocks or just buy them but they’ll sit on the sidelines as their best body takes the fall for them so MS or tencent can pick up the pieces in a year from now.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
As squares stock collapses you’d think Sony would be smart enough to buy stocks or just buy them but they’ll sit on the sidelines as their best body takes the fall for them so MS or tencent can pick up the pieces in a year from now.
The stock went down because of mobile performing badly, not FF16. Just want to make this clear because the Bloomberg hater is lying as usual.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Their stock is far from collapsing.

OP
OP
Puff

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Takashi guy deleted his last post and posting the same again.
F25UPELXUAEd-XZ

What the fuck is this guy's problem?

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
pretty awesome.

Square Enix has been a mess since its inception.

They have failed to make Justice to their most important IP.

FFXVI was such a disappointment, not ambition and archaic design.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
pretty awesome.

Nah the game was ambitious, but not ambitious enough. The combat system was dope, the story was dope, the production values on the set pieces was dope. But it had a bunch of stuff that was underbaked.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Nah the game was ambitious, but not ambitious enough. The combat system was dope, the story was dope, the production values on the set pieces was dope. But it had a bunch of stuff that was underbaked.
the level design is pretty unambitious, Paper thin gameplay/combat. Story....anime garbaggio trying to be all "mature" and shit.

every entry is a step backwards.

i blame Square Enix and their absolute incompetence at building the necessary technology to make a proper FF possible.

Reactions: Vertigo

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
the level design is pretty unambitious, Paper thin gameplay/combat. Story....anime garbaggio trying to be all "mature" and shit.

every entry is a step backwards.

i blame Square Enix and their absolute incompetence at building the necessary technology to make a proper FF possible.
The gameplay and combat isn't paper-thin. They just undertuned the enemies so you don't have to use the depth of the combat system. You can pull off crazy things in it, there just isn't a reason to because they made the game too easy.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
The gameplay and combat isn't paper-thin. They just undertuned the enemies so you don't have to use the depth of the combat system. You can pull off crazy things in it, there just isn't a reason to because they made the game too easy.
and that is their fault at game design.
style over substance.

the thing is; they don't have the technology to make a proper AAA FF game.

and i dont think Unreal Engine is going to help; FFVIIR has also a very outdated level design.

so, is not just technology but budget and talent as well.

i think FFXVI is not going to have the legs it needs; the reception has been divisive and i believe the more time it passes the consensus is going to be middling at best.

Square Enix is milking this franchise and hurting it in the process.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
pretty awesome.

I’m still in shock on how half baked it was. Felt cheap. Terrible quest design, worst sidequests like friggin ever, no real towns to explore or anything to explore really. Surface level rpg systems not worth a shit. No dungeons. Braindead difficulty. And it wasn’t even a good looking game or ran well. Post Bahamut it became painful to play. The discourse over it is totally fair. Kinda sucks. I think much less of Square now to where they’ve lost my money for the rest of the gen 🤣. From outriders to Forspoken… like wtf are they doing!?

But… I’d still be interested to see the style fleshed out with a sequel or two. Can’t believe the FF14 team couldn’t make decent quests or a dungeon…. Sorta refuse to believe that but this is what they gave us.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It's down 15% on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. It's a pretty severe hit.
View attachment 1992
Its not a collapse though, look at Embracer to see what one of those is.

edit: It also only reduces them to a bit above where they were pre-Covid. I think the Covid bump will be smoke and mirrors in the long run, only a temporary boost to game purchases, and thus it will be natural for the market to "correct" all of the game companies one by one whenever they get bad news.