Square Enix panicking over Final Fantasy XVI pre-orders, tracking below Final Fantasy XV

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
I bring this up because I had heard recently that Square Enix is panicking slightly over Final Fantasy XVI preorder numbers, which are tracking behind FFXV even accounting for the lesser number of launching platforms. Granted, those are pre-order numbers and they're usually only useful to gauge guaranteed day-one sales (versus potential day-one sales), so the actual number could blow everyone away. But with the current tracking, I wonder if they want to remind people the next chapter of Final Fantasy VII's remake trilogy exists and give it more marketing time than they had planned.

The initial sales of Remake were quite good, but it slowed down faster than Square Enix seemed to expect, so I imagine they really want Rebirth to sell as well as possible. Well, of course they do, but I imagine they're really, really hoping for an uptick in sales.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Just went to twitter to check who the author is, and yeah, he’s a known xbot.
He's the same guy that started the rumor about Jim Ryan going on a moneyhat world tour before the gen to kill xbox.

I just checked on PSN Best Selling and FF16 is number 7 after the 3 versions of SF6 and Diablo. That's preorder numbers only so it can't be that bad.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I like how the patreon link is completely different…

Low effort copy and paste trolling

• brain
Reactions: Ezekiel

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
This is pure FUD.

When Final Fantasy XV launched, the PS4 and Xbox One had a combined installbase of about 65 million. The game sold 5 million copies worldwide one day one.
When Final Fantasy VII Remake launched, the PS4 by itself had an installbase of over 100 million, so more than XV had, and it sold 3.5 million over three days.

I don't recall hearing about any panic when 7R was about to come out.

At the moment, the PS5 installbase is about 40 million. XVI won't do 5 million on day one, or even 3.5 million in three days, but probably 3 million over the first week, and those are solid numbers in general.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
It's only natural a company will be anxious about sales but I doubt they are panicking. But I fully expect this is open with the lowest first week sales in over 3 decades.

Reactions: Arminius
24 Jun 2022
Funny how anti-PS fanboy Ghostz and anti-PS fanboy Shoot both rushed to make threads about this on two different forums 🤔🤣

post the tweets that back up that claim. I’ll be waiting.

AFAIK he's the one that spearheaded the rumors back in 2020 that Sony were "locking down major 3P exclusivity deals" with virtually every big 3P publisher.

Which has turned out to be false. Unless "every 3P publisher" is Square-Enix. And I doubt he was referring to marketing deals because they could have simply clarified that was the rumor instead.

Varteras

2 Jun 2023
Its release proximity to Diablo, Street Fighter, and, to a lesser extent, Zelda, is likely to cause some lower initial sales. Especially since it's on the tail end of the releases. Three of my friends just bought Diablo and said they're not buying FF16 until they've had their fill. Only one friend of mine pre-ordered both. All of them intend to play it at some point in the near future.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
24 Jun 2022
I have a PS5. Why would I be anti-PS? Just posting news.

TBH that does not mean much. Jez Corden and Colteastwood have PS5s but they (especially Colt) trash PlayStation regularly and push FUD to make the brand look bad just so Xbox can seem to look better.

If you're not anti-PS, well you definitely seem to take the piss out of the system regularly 🤣

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I'm not worried. I can feel it in my bones that Square-Enix made a legendary game in FF16. The kind that will have legs for years and years. Right now there's still hesitancy because FF15 was such a clusterfuck. Guarantee you that once reviews are out and word of mouth spreads this game will sell fine.

OP
OP
ghostz

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
Funny how anti-PS fanboy Ghostz and anti-PS fanboy Shoot both rushed to make threads about this on two different forums 🤔🤣

AFAIK he's the one that spearheaded the rumors back in 2020 that Sony were "locking down major 3P exclusivity deals" with virtually every big 3P publisher.

Which has turned out to be false. Unless "every 3P publisher" is Square-Enix. And I doubt he was referring to marketing deals because they could have simply clarified that was the rumor instead.
He said they approached several third parties, not that they locked them down.

Either way, him having that story doesn’t mean he’s an “Xbot”, lol.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I feel like this Kahn guy has tried to make insider predictions all generation with vague, predictable assumptions and because he worked for game informer he has cred he doesn’t deserve. I wouldn’t be surprised if preorders for almost all games are down because most are bought digitally now. Notice how Kahn’s insider information only goes one way, downplay Sony when they are doing something, inflate and create impossible to satiate hype for things they could be doing IE Sony was going to lock down starfield rumor came from this guy.