Square Enix panicking over Final Fantasy XVI pre-orders, tracking below Final Fantasy XV

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Wasn't he fired from gameinformer? FFXVI does have that legendary game energy. I'm sure it'll do more than fine.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Imran Khan isn't an xbot, he's a clout-chaser semi-fake insider. He passes off fake rumors all the time, just because he works as a "journalist" doesn't mean his word is gospel. He "leaked" in 2021 that devs had switch pro devkits in their possession. Dude is not very reliable.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417
24 Jun 2022
He said they approached several third parties, not that they locked them down.

Either way, him having that story doesn’t mean he’s an “Xbot”, lol.

There was something else he said on Twitter, this was either 2021 or 2022...actually I vaguely remember it being a sarcastic snide about something Sony was doing or planned to do, or it could've been about one of their games. The way he said it was right in line with the toxic talking points Xbox fanboys/fangirls were using, and he's on Twitter enough to have known that.

I just can't remember specifically what it was but, it was definitely console warrior-y of him. Still not as bad as Hoeg Law, tho. I don't want to say he's an xbot or console warrior, but he probably leans/prefers Xbox and rarely might say something that feels like a console warrior comment.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Its release proximity to Diablo, Street Fighter, and, to a lesser extent, Zelda, is likely to cause some lower initial sales. Especially since it's on the tail end of the releases. Three of my friends just bought Diablo and said they're not buying FF16 until they've had their fill. Only one friend of mine pre-ordered both. All of them intend to play it at some point in the near future.
Well, I was going to buy ffxvi at launch but Taylor swift has just announced tour dates on Brazil, so FF will have to wait 😂

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
There was something else he said on Twitter, this was either 2021 or 2022...actually I vaguely remember it being a sarcastic snide about something Sony was doing or planned to do, or it could've been about one of their games. The way he said it was right in line with the toxic talking points Xbox fanboys/fangirls were using, and he's on Twitter enough to have known that.

I just can't remember specifically what it was but, it was definitely console warrior-y of him. Still not as bad as Hoeg Law, tho.
Hogg Slaw, chonky boy and part-time lawyer, has less reach than someone like Imran (at least before he was unceremoniously shown the door by Gameinformer), so the latter is more dangerous when they spread misinfo.

Varteras

2 Jun 2023
I blocked Imran on Twitter a long time ago. I can't remember exactly why. I do recall feeling like I had no use for anything he had to say. Not to mention his relationship with Kinda Funny. Which, as far as I'm concerned, can eat shit.

OP
OP
ghostz

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
I’m not sure why you’re all dissing the author when Yoshida doesn’t even sound confident.

Ochiai: This might be a weird question to ask but since you have put so much passion and effort into creating this game, when it comes to management, how do you think about the sales aspect here (read: translate it into profits and sales)? In terms of timing and your target audience and so on.

YoshiP: So when it comes to product, when I first submit my proposal, it's a given that I would attached together with the budget documentation, like this will be the platform where the game will be released, development wise it'll take a grand total of this amount, when the game will be released, the cost for marketing and PR will take this much, and the projected profit will be around this much...these will of course be included into the documentation
Ochiai: Like for example when it comes to movies, as movies run a duration of usually 2 hours when it comes to content, so in a way we can easily see how it performs, but when it comes to games, it takes time to complete them from start to finish so it's tougher to grasp how the behavior would change. So this is my personal thoughts on the matter but how do you approach the post-release sales period like there's a change in certain behavior, and what kind of marketing strategy would you take after the game is released?

YoshiP: When it comes to sales extension, well, this can slightly different from country to country, but when it comes to Japan, I can bring up one good example which is Slam Dunk (which is recently aired in theaters).
For the generations who are fans of the show, they would be extremely interested about it, but there was a commotion when it comes to the promotion prior to its release and this caused everyone to have doubts. But once the fans watched the movie, they'd go "You better watch this movie!", or they'd go recommend those who haven't watch the movie but expressed interest in it and nothing beats that kind of attraction when it comes to what PR can do even today. Though as for me, I'd go back to my roots, and convey properly on how the game has been made and released properly, and if people find the game interesting, streamers from all around the world who will be streaming this game will convey their comments and the louder those voices are, then it might encourage others who hasn't buy the game yet to give it a try, purchase a PS5 along. Another thing I've realized that younger generations don't tend to be particular about the release date, and tend to based their purchase on what's popular within their community circles, and what everyone is playing. In fact this is what happened when it comes to Apex, Fortnite, and this is definitely what the trend is heading towards today, so what I did is to make estimations on budget, lay out the plan saying "FFXVI is coming out", and made simple approach to try getting the shop to convince gamers to get FFXVI together with their PS5 purchase. Therefore this time, I've laid out a plan on sales that would last about 18 months.※2 Even when looking at the ownership ratio for PS5, there's no mistake that there will a drop in absolute ratio rather than looking at the games that are released for both PS4 and PS5.
...but I can tell you that I wouldn't want to look at the first week sales for FFXVI (laughs).

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: arvfab

Varteras

2 Jun 2023
I’m not sure why you’re all dissing the author when Yoshida doesn’t even sound confident.

Ochiai: This might be a weird question to ask but since you have put so much passion and effort into creating this game, when it comes to management, how do you think about the sales aspect here (read: translate it into profits and sales)? In terms of timing and your target audience and so on.

YoshiP: So when it comes to product, when I first submit my proposal, it's a given that I would attached together with the budget documentation, like this will be the platform where the game will be released, development wise it'll take a grand total of this amount, when the game will be released, the cost for marketing and PR will take this much, and the projected profit will be around this much...these will of course be included into the documentation
Ochiai: Like for example when it comes to movies, as movies run a duration of usually 2 hours when it comes to content, so in a way we can easily see how it performs, but when it comes to games, it takes time to complete them from start to finish so it's tougher to grasp how the behavior would change. So this is my personal thoughts on the matter but how do you approach the post-release sales period like there's a change in certain behavior, and what kind of marketing strategy would you take after the game is released?

YoshiP: When it comes to sales extension, well, this can slightly different from country to country, but when it comes to Japan, I can bring up one good example which is Slam Dunk (which is recently aired in theaters).

For the generations who are fans of the show, they would be extremely interested about it, but there was a commotion when it comes to the promotion prior to its release and this caused everyone to have doubts. But once the fans watched the movie, they'd go "You better watch this movie!", or they'd go recommend those who haven't watch the movie but expressed interest in it and nothing beats that kind of attraction when it comes to what PR can do even today. Though as for me, I'd go back to my roots, and convey properly on how the game has been made and released properly, and if people find the game interesting, streamers from all around the world who will be streaming this game will convey their comments and the louder those voices are, then it might encourage others who hasn't buy the game yet to give it a try, purchase a PS5 along. Another thing I've realized that younger generations don't tend to be particular about the release date, and tend to based their purchase on what's popular within their community circles, and what everyone is playing. In fact this is what happened when it comes to Apex, Fortnite, and this is definitely what the trend is heading towards today, so what I did is to make estimations on budget, lay out the plan saying "FFXVI is coming out", and made simple approach to try getting the shop to convince gamers to get FFXVI together with their PS5 purchase. Therefore this time, I've laid out a plan on sales that would last about 18 months.※2 Even when looking at the ownership ratio for PS5, there's no mistake that there will a drop in absolute ratio rather than looking at the games that are released for both PS4 and PS5.
...but I can tell you that I wouldn't want to look at the first week sales for FFXVI (laughs).

You're coming off as trying too hard at this point.

OP
OP
ghostz

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
You're coming off as trying too hard at this point.
By asking people to stick on the topic rather than attempt to downplay it by bashing the author? So I posted a source directly from SQUARE… and you’re saying I’m trying too hard?

Lol Jesus.

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
By asking people to stick on the topic rather than attempt to downplay it by bashing the author? So I posted a source directly from SQUARE… and you’re saying I’m trying too hard?

Lol Jesus.

You post a highly questionable source and then tell us to debate it, conveniently skipping why we should believe this guy in the first place. Why the hell would Imran Khan have access to what Square Enix thinks? He doesn't even speak japanese.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I have a PS5. Why would I be anti-PS? Just posting news.
Who knows. This is you, though:

Cheerleading Microsoft buying out independent publishers (like cheerleading rancid garbage):
Well, when Microsoft buys Square, Capcom, Sega, and all other smaller studios… UK will be to blame.

Spinning Jedi Survivor's cratering sales on Xbox as Xbox users being informed (they're the least informed)
The game is a hot mess. Looks like Xbox users are simply informed.

Splooging over Zelda by shitting on PS5 games (Tears of Boredom is a more apt name)
From a gameplay standpoint, this game would be a 10000000/10 on PS5. There’s nothing on PS5 that can even compare.

Cheerleading something, anything, outselling PS5 (because Xbox can't)
PS5 getting absolutely smoked by Switch. Love to see it.

Suggesting the reason Graf Rasetti left SSM was because he got tired of rehashes (GOW GOTY, GOW: R Runner up GOTY)
Sounds like he got tired of working on rehashes. Can’t blame it, I’d want freedom too.

Thinking Hellblade 2 will be a graphical showcase (and that 1 looked incredible)...
What makes you think Hellblade will look bad? Lol the first one looked incredible.

While having this opinion on Spiderman 2:
Looks insanely low res.

So to answer your question
Why would I be anti-PS?
I don't know, but you sure do hate everything and everyone associated with the brand.