Square Enix plans to change development structures & slim down lineups. |UP| Board meeting info. $140 Million Hit in "Content Abandonment losses"

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
And people will continue to say Square Enix is a good buy...

@Yurinka
I already explained why it's a good buy.

This news says that revising their pipeline they cancelled or changed some stuff that wasn't that promising, throwing some job done to the garbage bin. It's something all game publishers do frequently, nothing rare or bad. It's normal and healthy.

As an example, Sony also did it a few months ago, when they did shut down London Studio and maybe a handful games under development. Normally these things are done under closed doors and nobody knows about them, but in this case they got public.

In the specific case of Square Enix, during these years they are also restructuring the organization and approach of the group and particularly their part of "HD" (meaning console & PC) games, merging some teams, increasing their approach to PC and soon (if not already done) turning some of their studios as subsidiary companies to allow external investors (as could be Sony) to invest only on -and who knows if to acquire- that specific part they are interested on. So as part of that restructuring there may be also some projects that may ended axed or heavily rebooted.

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
They are low price roughly around 5 billion & Sony would get some of gaming most legendary ip including Final Fantasy, Neir, Chrono Trigger & if they somehow finesse acquiring the Dragon Quest ip it would be a publisher that gives many positive. Iconic gaming ip that can be further fleshed out in gaming & expanded into films & animation. Sony would double there gaming output which is something PS currently needs or continue to be left behind competitors who have higher output & is currently out selling you in hardware & software (Nintendo) Sony acquiring Square Enix would give Sony more of the gaming pie not allowing Steam & Nintendo direct competitor to further eat market share while giving Sony studios that can produce lower budget games for the Asia market something Sony hasn’t had ever. Also due to Japan yen being week wages are lower then American or European studios. Also if Sony wanted to expand into mobile acquiring ip that are much easier to translate to mobile giving the art style would help example Dragon Quest meets Genshin Impact or Final Fantasy meets Honkai Starrail & if the future of console gaming is more mobile hybrid handheld PS will need studios that cater smaller games that are turn base/tactis that are better games to play on a handheld.

The only negative would be Sony having to shave fat focusing less on new ip & more on existing ip & building those franchises up & tie them to quality while expanding them into film’s & animation. There’s no negative value n acquiring Square Enix & it’s something that should’ve been done a long time ago just like when Sony could’ve bought Capcom when Sony helped them when Capcom almost when under. The only reason Sony wouldn’t acquire Square is if they instead bought enough share to have a say so while not fully acquiring strategically allowing Sony to acquire another publisher like Capcom (just for an example) so they technically can say to any pushback against ftc that they technically don’t own Square & themselves are independent.

I already explained why it's a good buy.

This news says that revising their pipeline they cancelled or changed some stuff that wasn't that promising, throwing some job done to the garbage bin. It's something all game publishers do frequently, nothing rare or bad. It's normal and healthy.

Japan is moving more and more towards mobile and F2P. Investing billions of dollars into Square Enix's languishing IP makes zero sense. They don't have the talent and interest is waning.

Chrono Trigger came out almost 30 years ago and we're still talking about it because Square Enix hasn't done anything worthwhile with the IP since and that includes Chrono Cross.

Dragon Quest is worthless in the West and Final Fantasy is diminished as a brand.

Their market cap is 4.44 billion dollars, their actual price would be significantly higher.

That they're canceling projects and still suffering operating losses despite releasing their major game releases FF16 and FF7 Rebirth back to back should tell you everything you need to know about their pipeline and their profitability.

If Sony Pictures released a Spider-Man movie and posted a loss for that fiscal year, that would be devastating to them.

The value of Square Enix is only going down from here. If Sony actually wanted to buy Square Enix the smartest thing to do would be to wait for the market cap to bottom out and then buy them. Note they're down 25% in the last year.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Japan is moving more and more towards mobile and F2P. Investing billions of dollars into Square Enix's languishing IP makes zero sense. They don't have the talent and interest is waning.

Chrono Trigger came out almost 30 years ago and we're still talking about it because Square Enix hasn't done anything worthwhile with the IP since and that includes Chrono Cross.

Dragon Quest is worthless in the West and Final Fantasy is diminished as a brand.

Their market cap is 4.44 billion dollars, their actual price would be significantly higher.

That they're canceling projects and still suffering operating losses despite releasing their major game releases FF16 and FF7 Rebirth back to back should tell you everything you need to know about their pipeline and their profitability.

If Sony Pictures released a Spider-Man movie and posted a loss for that fiscal year, that would be devastating to them.

The value of Square Enix is only going down from here. If Sony actually wanted to buy Square Enix the smartest thing to do would be to wait for the market cap to bottom out and then buy them. Note they're down 25% in the last year.
Handhelds are hybrid console/mobile devices why you think Switch are popular in Asia also with essentially any handheld Nintendo product they’ve shown to be massive success in Japan.

Sony spending 5 billion & doubling down on console/gaming Sony division that makes the most $ “makes no sense” while other bigger competitor double down in gaming & heavily invest looking to acquire gaming publisher or in Nintendo case increase first party/2nd party studio to increase Nintendo game output which Nintendo already releases more with a bigger output per year compared to PS & exclusive games that are truly exclusive unlike PS ok lol. But Sony looking to bid 10 billion on Paramount on there division that release flop after flop & only reason Sony pictures hasn’t completely collapsed is because Sony ability to use PS as a massive sponge. Paramount who has the weakest subscription that burns cash & the same Paramount who don’t own ip to some of Paramount biggest films like Transformer, Sonic, GIJoe etc & only reliant Ip Paramount they own is TMNT, SpongeBob & MIP/Tom Cruise Top Gun.

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Handhelds are hybrid console/mobile devices why you think Switch are popular in Asia also with essentially any handheld Nintendo product they’ve shown to be massive success in Japan.

Sony spending 5 billion & doubling down on console/gaming Sony division that makes the most $ “makes no sense” while other bigger competitor double down & heavily invest looking to acquire gaming publisher or in Nintendo case increase first part/2nd party studio to increase Nintendo game output that are truly exclusive unlike PS ok lol. Buy Sony looking to bid 10 billion on Paramount on there division that release flop after flop & only reason Sony pictures hasn’t completely collapsed is because Sony ability to use PS as a massive sponge. Paramount who has the weakest subscription that burns cash & the same Paramount who don’t own ip to some of Paramount biggest films like Transformer, Sonic, GIJoe etc & only reliant Ip Paramount they own is TMNT, SpongeBob & MIP/Tom Cruise Top Gun.

It would cost more than 5 billion to buy Square Enix today and breakdown for me what it would get them that they don't currently have.

I'm not saying Sony shouldn't invest in their gaming division, but buying Square Enix isn't the right move.

Sony has done way more to increase their 1st party development than Nintendo...

Buying Paramount would help Sony Pictures AND Sony Interactive Entertainment AND Sony Music. It's rare that you can buy a company that helps multiple divisions.

You keep saying that Sony Pictures releases flop after flop. Is their flop rate higher than the rest of the industries? What are you getting at?

Paramount+ just hit 71 million subscribers as announced the other day... hilarious timing on that.

What is a bigger IP Spongebob or Ratchet and Clank? Insomniac would probably be better of making a spongebob game than another ratchet game. You also purposefully left off star trek. TMNT also has about as much potential as any other IP. You also left off Avatar (ATLA), which also has huge potential. They also own the rights to the Godfather.

Hilarious to think that Paramount isn't a good buy for them.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Square releases way too much AA trash. Most of it Switch-exclusive and no one buys them. Weird how nobody is blaming Nintendo for these low sales. All the attention is on the few Sony exclusives (that do sell in the millions).

They better keep that money for something else. Like more AAAs with Sony 😛

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Japan is moving more and more towards mobile and F2P.
True. Also happening in the rest of the world, but it's particularly true in Japan.

Investing billions of dollars into Square Enix's languishing IP makes zero sense. They don't have the talent and interest is waning.
Square Enix's results show this is wrong. They have been growing their main KPIs in the last 5 or 10 years.

Yes, I think Chrono Trigger is a valuable asset. I think there's potential there to make:
  • Anime tv series adaptation of the first game
  • High budget big ass remake, almost FFVIIR level, with Toriyama style cel shading
  • After it, a sequel with that engine bringing back most of the main characters and ignoring Chrono Cross
Dragon Quest XI sold over 6M copies on its first 3-4 years and we know FF performed very well with FFXIV, FFXVI and FFVII remakes. Both IPs are in good shape.

Yes. Considering their assets, projection of their KPIs, etc. and the premium paid in recent big gaming market acquisitions, I'd say to acquire SE pretty likely would cost minimum something around $10B-$12B.

This is not how companies work. The most recent big release(s) of a company isn't that important for them, they have a way wider picture:

Companies earn revenue with these big releases but also with minor ones and catalog titles (meaning, released in previous fiscal years). That money gets mostly reinvested in future projects, sometimes generating loses for that year but the idea of reinvesting it is that is going to transform in way more money in the long term.

I mean, let's say a big game recoups its investment and generates "$400M" in profit. Instead keeping them in the bank and posting them as profits that year, the company reinvest that money in the devenlopment of two similar games more without posting that money as profit, with the idea of in the future get "$400M" from each one of them, a total of "$800M".

As a result of this, companies who perform well keep increasing their revenue over time, even if their profits posted are relatively low and don't worry about them unless the company is generating huge loses.

This is the main reason of why when valuating a company investors care way more about seeing a huge and growing revenue than seeing profits. But hey, if there are growing profits too, that's better, but not that important. Because having huge and growing revenue it's way easier to increase profits when desired by optimizing some costs by cutting some fat.

Square releases way too much AA trash. Most of it Switch-exclusive and no one buys them. Weird how nobody is blaming Nintendo for these low sales. All the attention is on the few Sony exclusives (that do sell in the millions).

I agree, if I was Square-Enix I'd focus on reducing quantity to increase quality:
  • Big ass AAA new numbered FF, Dragon Quest, Mana, Crono Trigger, Nier Automata
  • Big ass AAA remakes in the reimagined way of the FFVIIR titles
  • Next gen, highly improved "2D-HD" remakes of old classics keeping the original gameplay 1:1
  • Optimize their mobile and arcade business maybe combining them, and take a better advantage there of Taito's classic IPs
  • New IPs like Forspoken and Foamstars didn't work out, so I'd stop making new IPs for a while (maybe 5-7 years)
Meaning, other than downports of the 2D-HD titles and port of the mobile games I'd ignore Nintendo, to focus on the big ass games for PS and PC.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Zzero and Lersds

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

Yuh they just release a new game or a demo I can’t even remember saga emerald something in that name & it look like some early ps3 niche game. The recent pixel star ocean game actually wasn’t bad also live a live & octopath traveler shows sign of potential as strong AA.

Man talking about AA pixel game I wish there was a new mainline Metal Slug game. Metal Slug Tactic was shown in 2021 & it’s been pure silent

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yuh they just release a new game or a demo I can’t even remember saga emerald something in that name & it look like some early ps3 niche game. The recent pixel star ocean game actually wasn’t bad also live a live & octopath traveler shows sign of potential as strong AA.

Man talking about AA pixel game I wish there was a new mainline Metal Slug game. Metal Slug Tactic was shown in 2021 & it’s been pure silent
Those are fine. They are niche but they have fans. I was thinking of Harvestalla, Various Daylife, Dungeon Encounters, Paranormasight and Chocobo GP.

Dragon Quest Monsters and Triangle strategy kind of sold good.

Reactions: Lersds

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
And people will continue to say Square Enix is a good buy...

@Yurinka
At this point I believe you're just don't want to see this merger happening because you probably much prefer Nintendo and fear this would impact releases on their systems. Hence even your nick has a Japanese name. Anyway I haven't seen anyone who is not into Japanese games say, he doesn't want to see this happening or calling it bad. That's madness calling a possible merger with SE a bad purchase.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
At this point I believe you're just don't want to see this merger happening because you probably much prefer Nintendo and fear this would impact releases on their systems. Hence even your nick has a Japanese name. Anyway I haven't seen anyone who is not into Japanese games say, he doesn't want to see this happening or calling it bad. That's madness calling a possible merger with SE a bad purchase.

That's because fanboys come to conclusions to satisfy their agenda.

I've owned every PlayStation since the PS1 except the Vita and I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the snes and a Nintendo system since the gameboy color or advance.

It's just a bad buy and it would be for anyone.

JRPGs are not a growing market, which is why Square Enix thought it would be a good idea to jump into Action RPGs with Final Fantasy, but that strategy hasn't worked out.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Some of the projects some of you guys want SE to greenlit would lead them back to where they were.
Them cancelling a bunch of projects is not a reason to come out of the woodwork and ask for decently budgeted games of dead IP from the 90s.

They're trying to be more selective about the projects they greenlit, not less.

Anyway I haven't seen anyone who is not into Japanese games say, he doesn't want to see this happening or calling it bad.
That's madness calling a possible merger with SE a bad purchase.

That's a fan's perspective, it is important when doing M&A analysis to check your feelings at the door and look at the long term benefits of such an acquisition.

Else I would just ask that all the publisher/IPs/franchises that I love get acquired and make the things I like on my PlayStation(s).

Reactions: mibu no ookami

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
@Yurinka its clear at this point that XVI and Rebirth bot underperformed and the IP is more diminished than it has been at any point since the original VII came out. You can't defend this, S-E is in deep shit.