Square Enix: PlayStation offered a better deal than Xbox for Final Fantasy 16

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

An interview in Game Informer (via TweakTown) recently shed light on why the hotly anticipated action RPG Final Fantasy 16 is skipping Xbox, and it's sadly unsurprising. According to Square Enix, PlayStation simply offered a better content acquisition deal than Xbox did.

Final Fantasy [is one] of Square Enix's [most] important franchises up there with Dragon Quest and the Kingdom Hearts series. When we do begin development, we do approach multiple platforms, multiple companies, about releasing the game. And when you approach them, they're going to come back to us with their offers."

• Informative
Reactions: Pocky and Sircaw

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
This has some pretty funny implications. Xbox are complaining about FF16 being timed exclusive to PlayStation and about exclusive games in general, even though they tried to do the same thing.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That is how I always see it.
3rd-party reaches Platform holders for deals.

That implies that they needs helps to develop a game and so the platform holder that is opened to help more (it can be a lot of things... money, marketing, technical help, etc) get the exclusive deal.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Are third parties that strapped for cash that they need these kind of deals for AAA games to be feasible?

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Are third parties that strapped for cash that they need these kind of deals for AAA games to be feasible?
No, they aren’t. But they know Sony and Nintendo are up to make marketing and exclusivity deals which nets them more money, sales and visibility.
MS doesn’t strike those because they don’t care and are terrible as an entertainment business.

• thisistheway

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I mentioned this in another thread, i don't buy it that square enix where actually considering offers from other platforms. Seems like them just trying to be neutral.

What other platforms do we have? Nintendo and Microsoft? I can't imagine SE wanting to release ff16 on the switch with the amount of cutbacks, not that it won't sell well but they are clearly wanting to show of the technical side.

And microsoft? Who may ask for them to keep it off playstation? Hmmmmm that's one way to kill the franchise.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
Remember how Phil Spencer claimed they were attempting to have a strong relationship with Japanese gaming developers? I can see he and his team did a fantastic job with that claim…..They should change the Tom Howard song into Phil Spencer instead with his lies he constantly makes. Even though I’m against 3rd party exclusives this deal would have been beneficial for the Xbox brand as a whole.

• noneofmybizz

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
I mentioned this in another thread, i don't buy it that square enix where actually considering offers from other platforms. Seems like them just trying to be neutral.

What other platforms do we have? Nintendo and Microsoft? I can't imagine SE wanting to release ff16 on the switch with the amount of cutbacks, not that it won't sell well but they are clearly wanting to show of the technical side.

And microsfot? Who may ask for them to keep it off playstation? Hmmmmm that's one way to kill the franchise.
Even though Nintendo has a bigger fanbase then both Sony and Microsoft combined I agree. Nintendo has once again missed the opportunity to make a decent gaming console that can handle these kinds of games. Hopefully the Switch 2 will change that now that there’s technology that can help achieve that.

Reactions: Pocky

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Remember how Phil Spencer claimed they were attempting to have a strong relationship with Japanese gaming developers? I can see he and his team did a fantastic job with that claim…..They should change the Tom Howard song into Phil Spencer instead with his lies he constantly makes. Even though I’m against 3rd party exclusives this deal would have been beneficial for the Xbox brand as a whole.
Boo hoo

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Even with no deal they would release it on PS.
They should be more honest. Square Enix would never offer FF to MS. Because exclusive FF to Xbox would be dead on arrival lol
I seriously doubt they offered it to Xbox or Epic (lol) and they would need to sell a battery and hard drive attachment on the Switch.

It was Playstation by default but Sony was nice enough to offer marketing and development help on top.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
No, they aren’t. But they know Sony and Nintendo are up to make marketing and exclusivity deals which nets them more money, sales and visibility.
MS doesn’t strike those because they don’t care and are terrible as an entertainment business.
Not just that imo.

MS userbase is smaller so the “price” to pay to not release in another platform way bigger platform is probably huge.

A exclusive deal of $10 million for Sony or Nintendo should be $50 million for Microsoft… of course not real numbers just my speculations.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Eat my own dingleberry lol I said what I said. Sounds like you are triggered typical fanboy mentally.
Dude since your appearing you’re nonstop crying about how anti-consumer Sony is. Nobody cares about Xbox here and how hurt you are. You better go shilling for Xbox on ResetEra.

Reactions: Yobo

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Even though Nintendo has a bigger fanbase then both Sony and Microsoft combined I agree. Nintendo has once again missed the opportunity to make a decent gaming console that can handle these kinds of games. Hopefully the Switch 2 will change that now that there’s technology that can help achieve that.

Nintendo has a bigger fanbase than Sony and Microsoft combined?

Since when?

I doubt Nintendo has a bigger fanbase than Sony alone considering how inconsistently their consoles have sold and the amount of casual gamers on owning their systems.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Nintendo has a bigger fanbase than Sony and Microsoft combined?

Since when?

I doubt Nintendo has a bigger fanbase than Sony alone considering how inconsistently their consoles have sold and the amount of casual gamers on owning their systems.
I believe in terms of fans: PS > Nintendo > Xbox.

Even if you take userbase Switch is in a weird place because it is not a last gen portable neither this gen portable... it competed with PS4 and now PS5.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar