Square Enix's latest plans regarding M/A

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/pdf/ar_2022en.pdf

However, as the investment required for development efforts has grown, this strategy has begun to produce side effects of a scale that we cannot ignore. It is now more important than ever that we manage financial volatility and the impact that it has on our accounting because, while development investments fuel our Group's future growth, we must also recognize those investments in the form of our content production account. How to exercise appropriate control over volatility and strike a balance between risk and return when making growth investments are the key questions that we must ask ourselves as we manage our games business going forward, and I believe that the answer lies in a more diversified capital structure of our studios.

By "a more diversified capital structure of our studios," I refer to not fixating on full ownership and instead making various patterns of the studios' capital structure that enables sharing development risk with partners. Such a strategy would allow us to grow our studio portfolio as a whole while exposing ourselves to less risk. Specifically, we would diversify the capital structure of our studios by not only owning some studios outright, but also by welcoming third parties to take stakes in some of our studios or by our taking stakes in studios outside the Group. In this way, we would create a studio portfolio that spans a continuum from studios that we own outright to those that are equity-method affiliates or less. Under such a strategy, we would also engage in M&A activities, for example, and work to achieve a balance between growth and financial stability.

Doesn't seem like they want to be fully acquired.
Seems like the they maybe want to share IPs with another company and split the investments.
Sony doing this with the Final Fantasy IP would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
I think if Sony wanted them they could have got them a long time ago, like decades ago.
Not falling for the PSxSE rumors.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
"Tencent buys 20 percent of square enix. Majority owner in Division 1 studio" is a headline I hope i never wake up to but seems inevitable at this rate. Or Net ease, or saudi arabia, or embracer. Sony better be at the table on this.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Sony better just buy them or buy a majority stake... cause the management at Square is terrible and the US division of marketing and product is just incompetent.

They actually need Sony.

Reactions: Dabaus

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
"Tencent buys 20 percent of square enix. Majority owner in Division 1 studio" is a headline I hope i never wake up to but seems inevitable at this rate. Or Net ease, or saudi arabia, or embracer. Sony better be at the table on this.
I think it'd be more "Tencent buys 20% of Division 1 Studio", not Square.

Much like how FromSoft, a private company majority owned by KADOKAWA, is now part owned by Tencent/Sony.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Seems like the they maybe want to share IPs with another company and split the investments.

This has nothing to do with sharing IPs with other companies... it's just selling off parts of a studio.

Sharing IPs with others would be a totally separate thing.

People hoping for "more exclusives" out of something like this are reading it wrong IMO. It's about generating capital, and adding business partners who have a good reason to help you succeed.. that reason being, that ownership stake is now an asset that you want the value of to go up.

It would give Sony a good reason to help market the games of that studio, but if Sony wanted a game to be exclusive from Square Studio XYZ they end up part owning, they'd have to pay up for it just the same as before.

The part owner does favors for the company they part own, not the other way around. That's where taking on risk comes into play.. the part owners are at risk, so therefore they have reasons to make any given project succeed.. AKA use their resources to make that happen.

IMO at least.. I'm not some business expert, just a guy on the internet saying things.. but I do read a lot lol

P

peter42O

Sony went to Square Enix, looked at their books and said, oh damn, fuck that shit. lmao

Outside of Final Fantasy, Square Enix misses much more than they hit. They need to focus on less quantity and more quality games while sticking with what they do best which is Japanese RPG's but not those that are the above average tier like Star Ocean, Valkyrie or others. They need to just pick a few IP's besides Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and just make them great. I really miss the old days of SquareSoft. Oh well.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
So Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montreal, and Square Enix Montreal were dead weight to be got rid of rather than making themselves easier to be bought.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/pdf/ar_2022en.pdf

He doesn't talk there about sharing IPs (which are the brands of the games) to allow external developers or publishers to use them, he talks about sharing ownership of some Square Enix studios (the offices/teams that make the sames). Right now, their studios are fully owned by Square Enix.

What he mentions is that at least part of these studios would become (maybe they already are) companies that instead of being fully owned by Square as they are now, in some cases they would be only partly owned by Square Enix and partly owned by someone else (let's say, Sony). This 3rd party who now would co-own a Square studio would fund part of the costs of the studio, and in exchange would get part of the profits generated by the studio (or would eat part of the loses if it's the case).

This means Square would partly lose the ownership of these studios but in exchange they would mean less risk for them and that would cost them less to fund them because 3rd party co-owners would partly fund them. And that having to invest less on their teams, they'd have more money for acquisitions. Instead of fully owning new studios, they could buy only a part of them and other partner could buy the other part. Meaning that it would be cheaper and less risky for them to make acquisitions.

At the same time, it makes easier for Square to sell instead of a part of a studio, the whole studio to someone. I mean, imagine Sony was only interested to buy the studios involved on Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, but doesn't care about Taito, or the ones who make the minor JRPGs, or their manga division. In that case, Sony could invest or maybe even buy the studios who make FF and DQ, or at least an important part of them while not paying for the studios/divisions where they are not insterested.

Much like how FromSoft, a private company majority owned by KADOKAWA, is now part owned by Tencent/Sony.
Yes, this is a good example. It also would help them to share even maybe some studios with Sony, other ones with Nintendo, other ones with Tencent etc.

Last edited:
  • brain

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Doesn’t sound like anyones buying them tbh, sounds like they are auctioning off stake in individual studios.

Wouldn’t be surprised if sony continue to fund Creative Business unit 1 and 3 and Luminous if Forspoken is good.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
What is M/A? Marketing / Acquisition?
Edit - Ohhhh it can be Microsoft Acquisitions.

Mergers & Acquisitions.

It's an outdated term, as most of these are acquisitions.... one larger entity buying another smaller entity.

Mergers are far less common for the last 20-30 years.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Mergers & Acquisitions.

It's an outdated term, as most of these are acquisitions.... one larger entity buying another smaller entity.

Mergers are far less common for the last 20-30 years.
I see here being used more Fusion than Merge.

But I understood... it is like Squaresoft and Enix... merged into Square Enix... both were around the same size.

• they're_right_you_know

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I see here being used more Fusion than Merge.

But I understood... it is like Squaresoft and Enix... merged into Square Enix... both were around the same size.

Exactly. In Japan I believe mergers were traditionally more favorable and considered less disrespectful or something like that....

Anyway acquisitions seemed to be frowned upon in Japan in the past.... maybe because it seemed to erase the legacy / name of the work of people before them.

Reactions: ethomaz

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I admit this is a tin foil hat conspiracy theory and all of it is predicated on the quote from the former head of crystal dynamics when he said square sold them because Sony wanted square Japan:
but what if square is out here begging for third party investments because they already have an agreement with Sony for a big investment and want to look “weak” so if regulators sniff around the excuse can be “well we were in a really bad spot and needed investment.”

I know that’s a stretch but basically they’re pretending to be more desperate than they really are to appease future would be regulators?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I admit this is a tin foil hat conspiracy theory and all of it is predicated on the quote from the former head of crystal dynamics when he said square sold them because Sony wanted square Japan:
but what if square is out here begging for third party investments because they already have an agreement with Sony for a big investment and want to look “weak” so if regulators sniff around the excuse can be “well we were in a really bad spot and needed investment.”

I know that’s a stretch but basically they’re pretending to be more desperate than they really are to appease future would be regulators?
Due the size and because both are Japanese companies regulators won’t even look at it.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022

I'm way too stoned. I spent way too long trying to remember if SE did The Division 1 then.