Star Wars Episode VI: Return of 720p, the Digital Foundry PS5 analysis

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Star Wars Jedi Survivor is far from a perfect release, but its tech issues are far less intrusive on PlayStation 5 than they are on PC. Here's an initial look at the PS5 game, along with analysis of the resolution and performance modes, plus frame-rate testing. This is a game with so much to commend it, but we'd hope that Respawn isn't finished on improving performance. Note: EA did not provide console code for Survivor until launch day. However, we acquired a physical copy of the PS5 version ahead of that. We'll be following up soon with a more detailed breakdown, along with everything you need to know about the Xbox Series console versions, PS5 comparisons etc.

• Lighting, shadows, and animation quality are all standout
  • Impressive visuals on display
  • DF didn't receive codes from EA (I wonder why?)
  • Indirect lighting suggesting some RTGI, reflections on water bodies and select surfaces, otherwise SSR
  • RT drops to 45fps in the Performance Mode in RT heavy areas and the resolution drops too
  • RT is engaged in both modes, curiously
  • 972p-1440p in Resolution mode. 1242p when looking at the sky. 1440p in cutscenes in GPU light scenes
  • Fallen Order runs at 1512p-2160p on PS5
  • 648p-864p base resolution in Performance Mode
  • FSR breaks apart in motion, visual noise, ghosting, and artifacts
  • Performance in Resolution Mode is very consistent but has some hitches when transitioning between cutscenes, can drop to 22fps. Heavy areas can see the fps drop to the high tens, especially on the second planet
  • Performance in Performance Mode isn't as good. Many drops to the mid 40s and 50s and rarely even the 30s. This mode just isn't very good. Recommends 30fps

Bonus: Xbox vs PS5 Review

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom
D

Deleted member 417

22fps and 648p?

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Star Wars: The Problems Within
Well they did say this game was made in record time, Now we can see why.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Lol @ all the concern trolling over this game. I've been playing on quality mode PS5 since release and it is one of the best looking next gen games on the system. Not to mention having a blast with the gameplay. I guess the internet needs to create it's next thing to hate at the moment.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If they fix it by the time it's been given away for free I'll give it a shot.