Star Wars Outlaws Gameplay Revealed | Ubisoft Foward 2023

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Don't like the female Han Solo angle. Could have done a Han Solo game instead of cosplaying the real thing with a generic female lead but whatever. Braindead creative leads at these studios - probably virtue signaling on the safe side.

Will play it cause Star Wars although my mind tells me not to reward mediocrity.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Wow. I came into this expecting to hate it, and ended up not hating it. Still probably not going to play it but it actually looks pretty good.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
No way it ll look like that on consoles at least. This s high end pc footage. I dont trust Ubi 1 bit. Watch dogs still hunt me.

Helios

Coolios
11 Jun 2023
The narrative I've seen online is bestheda games being technical mess should get a pass. Shit is insane
It only gets a pass because the modders are easily able to give these games a second life, bethesda games without mod support would not exist for long

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Don't like the female Han Solo angle. Could have done a Han Solo game instead of cosplaying the real thing with a generic female lead but whatever. Braindead creative leads at these studios - probably virtue signaling on the safe side.

Will play it cause Star Wars although my mind tells me not to reward mediocrity.
Not to mention she sounds like a sassy 16…cringe

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022

Listen to your mind

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
RPG? It’s an open world cover shooter that has space stuff. I got division meets mad max (the game) set in Star Wars vibes.
Thats what I kept reading lol.
Considering this is ubisoft, its going to be Watch dog in star wars and will get a massive downgrade

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Not a fan of Star Wars vut this looks really good, hopefully it doesn't get downgraded like Watch Dogs did

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
No way it ll look like that on consoles at least. This s high end pc footage. I dont trust Ubi 1 bit. Watch dogs still hunt me.
Considering this is ubisoft, its going to be Watch dog in star wars and will get a massive downgrade
Not a fan of Star Wars vut this looks really good, hopefully it doesn't get downgraded like Watch Dogs did

I know that as usual this is real gameplay. Not sure if it's also the case of this game, but traditionally all gameplay reveals of the big Ubisoft games were real gameplay (in most cases for the old games, a vertical slice) running on some high end PC from some of their devs.

These PCs typically were monsters to compile or render fast games that still weren't optimized due to not being in final stages of development, while on top of that running profiling and debug stuff.

So often these PCs have an specially insane amount of RAM. I remember that the PC running the gameplay reveal demo of The Division 1 was running on a PC with 64GB of RAM, something that as I remember was nonsensical and I think wasn't available in normal commercial gaming pcs back then.

In the past games were announcing showing a vertical slice, meaning it was a super early stage of the game, where tons of optimizations were still to be done, but was their creative goal. Later, when fixing bugs or optimizing it to get a decent performance on consoles and commercial PCs some visual stuff had to be toned down or some effects cut. While at the same time, improving other things or adding other effects.

That downgrade happened specially in cases like Watchdogs, when time after announcing it they found out the real next gen console hardware specs turned out to don't be as good as they were promised, and where they also decided to also release it in WiiU.

Time after release, higher end PC hardware became more accessible to people, and with game updates they added back some stuff that had to be cut or toned down, so most of these game look better now than when they were announced.

Regarding the Star Wars and Avatar gameplay shown, I asked people working there and what it was shown it's also in-game real gameplay and cutscenees with no tricks. Unlike as happened with the games that got downgrade controversies, Avatar got its gameplay debut half a year before release, and Star Wars around a year before release.

In recent years Ubisoft focuses the last year of development of their AAA games on testing and bufixing, meaning that Star Wars or Avatar won't almost change until release. But in high end PCs, potato PCs or Series S obviously won't look like this.

Game must be a really small scale, because that looked like 60FPS to me ...

:p
Make sure it was running on a very high end PC. I wouldn't expect 60fps for let's say Series S or potato PCs.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

Calling this an rpg is whatever… a lot of games can be called RPGs because it has leveling and loot and questing and whatever… and most of the time it’s surface level meaningless bs (like in Ubisoft games).

Is it an rpg? Sure. I guess. I don’t debate this anymore … all games are. Fuck it.

A lot of it is to frame this as false answer to Starfield which is pipedream bs. Do I think this game looks solid? Yup.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Calling this an rpg is whatever… a lot of games can be called RPGs because it has leveling and loot and questing and whatever… and most of the time it’s surface level meaningless bs (like in Ubisoft games).

Is it an rpg? Sure. I guess. I don’t debate this anymore … all games are. Fuck it.

A lot of it is to frame this as false answer to Starfield which is pipedream bs. Do I think this game looks solid? Yup.

Yeah thats why I was wondering if its like a ”fake” rpg like Assassinc Creed Origins etc or a real one like KOTOR, Mass Effect, Bethesda etc