Star Wars Outlaws Ultimate Edition for $130 continues an industry trend of paying lofty sums for early access, and players don’t like it.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Star Wars Outlaws has an expensive $109.99 'Gold Edition' offering three-day early access, and single-player game fans aren't best pleased.

Yesterday, a brand new Star Wars Outlaws story trailer revealed an August 30 release date for Ubisoft's new shooter - just hours after the release date leaked online. Ubisoft also unveiled the $109.99 Gold Edition of the new game, and the $129.99 Ultimate Edition of Star Wars Outlaws alongside the story-centric trailer and release date.

The Gold Edition offers three-day early access on August 27 as well as the game's Season Pass for DLC, while the Ultimate Edition includes all that as well as the Sabacc Shark and Rogue Infiltrator Bundles in-game item bundles, plus a digital art book for good measure. It's these two editions that have drawn the ire of some fans on social media.

"Sigh. Why is everything monetized... I want a single-player game. One-time payment and I am good..." writes one Twitter user. "Getting sick of these monetized barriers," another Twitter user added. Others, meanwhile, are just poking fun at the high price tags for both premium editions of Star Wars Outlaws, in addition to the base version retailing for $70.

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Star Wars Outlaws has an expensive $109.99 'Gold Edition' offering three-day early access, and single-player game fans aren't best pleased.

Yesterday, a brand new Star Wars Outlaws story trailer revealed an August 30 release date for Ubisoft's new shooter - just hours after the release date leaked online. Ubisoft also unveiled the $109.99 Gold Edition of the new game, and the $129.99 Ultimate Edition of Star Wars Outlaws alongside the story-centric trailer and release date.

The Gold Edition offers three-day early access on August 27 as well as the game's Season Pass for DLC, while the Ultimate Edition includes all that as well as the Sabacc Shark and Rogue Infiltrator Bundles in-game item bundles, plus a digital art book for good measure. It's these two editions that have drawn the ire of some fans on social media.

"Sigh. Why is everything monetized... I want a single-player game. One-time payment and I am good..." writes one Twitter user. "Getting sick of these monetized barriers," another Twitter user added. Others, meanwhile, are just poking fun at the high price tags for both premium editions of Star Wars Outlaws, in addition to the base version retailing for $70.
Greedy fuckers, shame on them and their bullshit.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Controversial view but...Gamers are to blame. It's only natural for a corporation or an individual to want more money.

Gamers are among the most uneducated customers there are. Showing they have no self control and reasoning many times. Maybe because the gaming industry can still be considered young somewhat.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Controversial view but...Gamers are to blame. It's only natural for a corporation or an individual to want more money.

Gamers are among the most uneducated customers there are. Showing they have no self control and reasoning many times. Maybe because the gaming industry can still be considered young somewhat.
We definitely are to blame.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I just want to know if anyone here plans to buy this game and why...
I will, why? It's simple

1. Ubisoft rarely misses
2. It's Star Wars
3. Inspired by Uncharted
4. It looks great
5. The main character is cute

The only thing that'll stop me from buying this day 1 is if its unoptimized and buggy

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I won't buy this version but I'll buy it later on when it drops to like $30 which I do once in awhile when I buy a Ubi game. I love the Stars Wars IP and for gd or bad the games usually entertain me.

• Informative
Reactions: Bryank75

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024

I would normally buy Ubisoft games but since I can play them and the expansions on Ubisoft+ for an $18 monthly rental, no real reason for me to buy Ubisoft games anymore.

On topic - I have no problem or issue with publishers charging more money with editions that include more content. For the Gold Edition, you're going to get two decent sized expansions. The three day early access is just a bonus for those who are all in day one.

I have done this with several games this generation because if im 100% all in with the base game and expansions, why would I wait to play a game im really hyped to play? I want it sooner not later. If Sony came out and said Stellar Blade has a gold edition that includes a week early access for $100. Guess what im doing... lol

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

This is true. Games like CoD/EA FC(every year!)and other major publishers are making big bucks off the back of people who buy in for the 3-5-7 days early access.
Those game(s) may go into discount early(like a month after release) but some of those lost profit margins have already been made up by early adopters paying the big dollars from FOMO.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
giphy.gif

No, I'm not in.
I just wanted to upload a gif that shows the stiff character animation that makes it look like we're watching a puppetry show.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
The early access play is dirty since it requires buying the super duper deluxe edition jam packed with guaranteed useless stuff.

I bit for early access for granblue since they didn’t charge you extra for it… just a simple preorder. That was fine. This? Nah. The game will be 20 bucks 5 months later.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
I just don't care about the characters and universe they want me to care about. I was about a big a Star Wars fan as anyone could be 10 years ago and they have just burned away all good will with absolute trash.

Why are they allergic to just making a game like this with beloved characters, no I don't want to play as a newly created smuggler that literally looks like my mother. Oh the force is female now ok whatever. Disney cannot burn to the ground fast enough.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I will, why? It's simple

1. Ubisoft rarely misses
2. It's Star Wars
3. Inspired by Uncharted
4. It looks great
5. The main character is cute

The only thing that'll stop me from buying this day 1 is if its unoptimized and buggy
It's funny, your number 2 is a big reason why I won't buy it at this point.
I just don't care about the characters and universe they want me to care about. I was about a big a Star Wars fan as anyone could be 10 years ago and they have just burned away all good will with absolute trash.

Why are they allergic to just making a game like this with beloved characters, no I don't want to play as a newly created smuggler that literally looks like my mother. Oh the force is female now ok whatever. Disney cannot burn to the ground fast enough.
Yeah, I basically agree with the bolded. I was a huge fan as a kid, it was my favorite thing. Disney somehow managed to ruin it more than GL did with the prequels, to the point where the whole thing feels like a steaming pile. That takes some real skill lol.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

It's funny, your number 2 is a big reason why I won't buy it at this point.

Yeah, I basically agree with the bolded. I was a huge fan as a kid, it was my favorite thing. Disney somehow managed to ruin it more than GL did with the prequels, to the point where the whole thing feels like a steaming pile. That takes some real skill lol.
Did you guys not play Jedi Fallen Order or Jedi Survivor? Those games are amazing