Starfield is Bethesda's Least Buggiest Game to Date, Say Sources

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Our first public comment about Starfield being a polished game came from journalist Tyler McVicker, who’s currently under an embargo for the title. Despite being under the embargo, McVicker took to Discord to say, “Also, 15 hours in and not a single bug”.

Taking one person’s comments at face value is never enough, so I reached out to my contacts to delve a little deeper.

Speaking with several sources under the condition of anonymity who are currently under embargo and couldn’t speak publically about the game, McVicker’s comment is the same sentiment given by everyone I’ve spoken to. Five individuals, who have a varying amount of time put in the game have all said that the amount of bugs they’ve experienced can be counted on one hand. In fact, most said one or two at most, with everyone I spoke to having put dozens of hours into the game. In addition, it was also said that almost all the bugs that were found have already been listed to be fixed in the Starfield Day 1 patch.
Admittingly though, even with speaking with five individuals, it’s still a small pool of opinions in the grand scheme of things. Public perception will always be different, but in my opinion, hearing the behind-the-scenes buzz and positivity of the game is a very strong encouraging sign. Whether or not public opinion will be different remains to be seen, but hey, I guess we’ll have to wait another 5 or so days.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
That's good news if true. I, however, will wait and see for release to see the state of the game.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Well, i think without the "charm" of the bugs there people will finally realize that bethesda games are boring as shit

• fire
Reactions: The Icon

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Well, i think without the "charm" of the bugs there people will finally realize that bethesda games are boring as shit
PatricianTV also makes this point. With the low hanging fruit of bugs gone, a lot of criticism can be directed to its rightful place: terrible writing and gameplay design. The bugs have hardly been the sticking point of other BGS games.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
PatricianTV also makes this point. With the low hanging fruit of bugs gone, a lot of criticism can be directed to its rightful place: terrible writing and gameplay design. The bugs have hardly been the sticking point of other BGS games.
I don't think true gamers care about good writing or gamplay in a twisted way.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Doubt It Season 8 GIF by The Office

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I don't think true gamers care about good writing or gamplay in a twisted way.
What is a "twisted way" to care about writing and gameplay? For example, Removing skill system Fallout and adding their perk only levelling system has a deep impact on how the game plays and is experienced. Am I meant to ignore that meaningful change and turn my brain off and just consume the game? As to writing, Kid in a Fridge in FO4 is a great example. How did he survive all that time despite no food (which ghouls need) in the fridge? Do I turn my brain off again and just follow the quest marker to finish the quest and get the XP? I like video games as a medium, so of course I (and everyone else should) care about these systems and how the impact my experience with the product.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
What is a "twisted way" to care about writing and gameplay? For example, Removing skill system Fallout and adding their perk only levelling system has a deep impact on how the game plays and is experienced. Am I meant to ignore that meaningful change and turn my brain off and just consume the game? As to writing, Kid in a Fridge in FO4 is a great example. How did he survive all that time despite no food (which ghouls need) in the fridge? Do I turn my brain off again and just follow the quest marker to finish the quest and get the XP? I like video games as a medium, so of course I (and everyone else should) care about these systems and how the impact my experience with the product.
Unfortunately a lot of people find ways to appreciate Bethesda's games for other reasons.

Don't ask why, this is not my fault... I guess for Fallout they just like the maskot and the idea.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Unfortunately a lot of people find ways to appreciate Bethesda's games for other reasons.

Don't ask why, this is not my fault... I guess for Fallout they just like the maskot and the idea.
That's true. The lowest common denominator accepts whatever is most acceptable. But regardless of their enjoyment we can still critically assess whether something is good or bad based on its own merits.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
The engine used on Starfield is Gamebryo 2.0, so im assuming it was going to be much more stable,

But if you see leaked gameplay you will see the Bethesda jank there