Starfield passes 10 million players

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
If it hits 25-30 million players by December I will start considering it to be successful by gamepass metrics. That should be the goal because that’s what a Bethesda rpg should do in a post Skyrim and cyberpunk market. This is the dominant rpg genre and we’ve seen what they can do now.

It’s not the same as 25 million cyberpunk sales because of dollar value itself and paying customers typically play a game for more than 5 mins unlike gamepass value selection catalogs in the adhd generations of gamer.

This is a good start. Sorta unlike Halo Infinite’s 20 million as that was mostly a f2p multiplayer stat. At least some consumers paid at least 10 bucks here…

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Yeah but here's the real question how many of those are gamepass users?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Yeah but here's the real question how many of those are gamepass users?

I’m ballparking 70% and somewhere like 95% on console. I would like it if those numbers were provided but I would also imagine MS would want to hide some of that data.

PC performance has been interesting. Windows store performance isn’t indicating steam users jumped storefronts to sub to gamepass. It looks like majority of players on pc are paying steam users.

Is Bethesda’s launcher dead? I haven’t looked into this.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
I’m ballparking 70% and somewhere like 95% on console. I would like it if those numbers were provided but I would also imagine MS would want to hide some of that data.

PC performance has been interesting. Windows store performance isn’t indicating steam users jumped storefronts to sub to gamepass. It looks like majority of players on pc are paying steam users.

Is Bethesda’s launcher dead? I haven’t looked into this.
I do know some people that bought it via Steam but the majority consensus was on that and others they know is they did only because of the mod support.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Player numbers are meaningless. They don’t tell you anything about actual games sold.

Anybody playing a few minutes on gamepass are counted in this number.

Sales is obviously way below Fallout 4’s 12M sold launch.
I mean that is to be expected when you cut out 2/3rds of your profit. I'm not surprised.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
I mean that is to be expected when you cut out 2/3rds of your profit. I'm not surprised.

Yeah. If they sold as much or more than Fallout 4, they would of been parading the announcement everywhere. All they can do is the player numbers spin.

Too bad for ZeniMax and Bethesda. They knew what they were doing when they took MS money to be bought.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS and reziel

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Yeah. If they sold as much or more than Fallout 4, they would of been parading the announcement everywhere. All they can do is the player numbers spin.

Too bad for ZeniMax and Bethesda. They knew what they were doing when they took MS money to be bought.
If Bethesda wants to fix this in the future and want out they'll have to do what Bungie did and buy themselves out from Xbox. But with Todd at the helm that will more than likely never happen.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Less players than sales for their latest flagship game.

Fallout 4 shipped 12 millions (maybe not all sold to customers but still they made way more money)

Calling it biggest launch is just spin. Less than Forza Horizon 5 too 😬

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
How on earth have the ONLY reach 10MM "users" when they claim a 30MM Gampass subscriber count? Only 1 in 3 thought it even worth downloading? it should be 100% since subscriptions. This is embarassing for MS.
Well, it WOULD be, if anyone at MS had a sense of shame.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Reading Phil's private emails, I now understand the drive behind highlighting engagement. Crackpots believe by having more people engage with your IP (why not give it away for free), the IP grows in value as it's exposed to a wider audience, and this exposure can be leveraged in other ways

The reality is that you're giving a game away for free, which devalues the game and associates it with F2P fodder, and people will not be willing to spend a red cent on it, so lifetime revenue is lower than it would have been had you cultivated the IP. Immediate sales revenue is also lower than it could have been.

Now the IP is dead. (Hi Halo)

Well done, Bethesda and Phil!