Starfield to release September 6th, 2023

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Excellent. Can't wait. This game will do well commercially regardless of how it reviews. It's been over 12 years since Bethesda has released their last big title. Let that sink in.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Excellent. Can't wait. This game will do well commercially regardless of how it reviews. It's been over 12 years since Bethesda has released their last big title. Let that sink in.

Fallout 4 released in 2015.

2023 - 2015 = 8

If you want to consider Fallout 76 (they surely did), then

2023 - 2018 = 5

Your math hasn't improved since our last chat.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Another delay.

But it was obvious it won't release in first half...
September throught tells you others things too.

It misses the holiday release... so what MS has for November / December?
Forza Motorsport won't be the September release... except the first one all others Forza Motorsport games released in September or October.

Is Forza Motorsport the flagship game for holidays this year?
Or are there something else?
Games that could be done "soon" include Forza, Outer Worlds 2, "Midnight" from Compulsion, Hellblade 2, Doom 3, Indiana Jones or State of Decay 3. But all of those are probably still either 2024 or 2025 games or smaller than Starfield. I think they leave November to 3rd parties this year.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Games that could be done "soon" include Forza, Outer Worlds 2, "Midnight" from Compulsion, Hellblade 2, Doom 3, Indiana Jones or State of Decay 3. But all of those are probably still either 2024 or 2025 games or smaller than Starfield. I think they leave November to 3rd parties this year.
But they said Forza releases this year.
I think they will release it after Starfield because there is no exactly date yet.

24 Jun 2022
Did anyone notice that at the end of the trailer, 'Game Pass' is not mentioned? You know, the end screen that normally lists platforms, and for Xbox that includes Game Pass for games that are Day 1? Well, it doesn't seem to be there in the new Starfield trailer.

Starfield.jpg
You can see Xbox Series X & S listed as well as PC, but no Game Pass. And this is for the new release date, not just the Direct.

Jaydub pointed this out on Twitter, that's where I noticed the irregularity. FWIW, the last Starfield trailer did list Game Pass explicitly at the end alongside the other platforms.

I'm led to believe either one of two things: either the game isn't Day 1 on Game Pass, or Microsoft are going to simply not mention Game Pass in any of the big marketing even if it is Day 1 Game Pass.

I'm inclined to think it's the latter; if Microsoft want to prioritize direct sales revenue, it's smart of them to scale back mention of Game Pass. After all, people who have the service already more or less know it's there, they can just advertise the game directly in Game Pass itself.

But I think they want to start shifting away from pushing Game Pass so heavily, so if they can convince as many people as possible that it's "essentially" a $70 game on Xbox and Steam, then they'll drive more sales. Then wait a few months and do another marketing campaign that more specifically points out it's in Game Pass. I still think they would be better off just not putting the whole game in the service Day 1; they should take a page from Sony's playbook & EA's, do a 10-hour Game Trail Day 1, maybe even 15-hour trail, then release the full game in it a year later or something like that (in Microsoft's case).

They don't HAVE to do that of course, but they have the legal wiggle room to do so, and it'd be a smart decision from a business POV. But they'd have to walk a proverbial minefield with their fanbase in trying to explain the changes, that much is a given.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
But they said Forza releases this year.
I think they will release it after Starfield because there is no exactly date yet.
It will come out this year, but there's no way its a bigger game than Starfield. I said "or", not "and".

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Did anyone notice that at the end of the trailer, 'Game Pass' is not mentioned? You know, the end screen that normally lists platforms, and for Xbox that includes Game Pass for games that are Day 1? Well, it doesn't seem to be there in the new Starfield trailer.

View attachment 753
You can see Xbox Series X & S listed as well as PC, but no Game Pass. And this is for the new release date, not just the Direct.

Jaydub pointed this out on Twitter, that's where I noticed the irregularity. FWIW, the last Starfield trailer did list Game Pass explicitly at the end alongside the other platforms.

I'm led to believe either one of two things: either the game isn't Day 1 on Game Pass, or Microsoft are going to simply not mention Game Pass in any of the big marketing even if it is Day 1 Game Pass.

I'm inclined to think it's the latter; if Microsoft want to prioritize direct sales revenue, it's smart of them to scale back mention of Game Pass. After all, people who have the service already more or less know it's there, they can just advertise the game directly in Game Pass itself.

But I think they want to start shifting away from pushing Game Pass so heavily, so if they can convince as many people as possible that it's "essentially" a $70 game on Xbox and Steam, then they'll drive more sales. Then wait a few months and do another marketing campaign that more specifically points out it's in Game Pass. I still think they would be better off just not putting the whole game in the service Day 1; they should take a page from Sony's playbook & EA's, do a 10-hour Game Trail Day 1, maybe even 15-hour trail, then release the full game in it a year later or something like that (in Microsoft's case).

They don't HAVE to do that of course, but they have the legal wiggle room to do so, and it'd be a smart decision from a business POV. But they'd have to walk a proverbial minefield with their fanbase in trying to explain the changes, that much is a given.
It's possible they will do what they did with forza and include early access for those who preorder the game/pay for ownership, so technically it wouldn't be "day 1" with gamepass. In fact I could see this being their strategy with big releases going forward.

• brain
Reactions: Deleted member 417

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022

View attachment 753

It's launching only on platforms which have game pass on it, so there's no need to mention it separately.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's launching only on platforms which have game pass on it, so there's no need to mention it separately.
Helena Bonham Carter Reaction GIF

Lol what? Every other opportunity microsoft has said gamepass this, gamepass that.

Since there's no need to refer to gamepass I guess you can stop mentioning it as well?

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Helena Bonham Carter Reaction GIF

Lol what? Every other opportunity microsoft has said gamepass this, gamepass that.

Since there's no need to refer to gamepass I guess you can stop mentioning it as well?

There's still game pass branding on the xbox pages for the game, so I don't really know what you're trying to say here lol.

It's not like they dropped the game pass branding from the games marketing.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
There's still game pass branding on the xbox pages for the game, so I don't really know what you're trying to say here lol.

It's not like they dropped the game pass branding from the games marketing.
Nah it'll definitely be on gamepass. I'm not questioning that. I'm just wondering if Microsoft intends to pivot away from being all-in on gamepass and have it be supplemental. They really need starfield to be a mega hit or I think they're kinda screwed.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Ehh..I'll have to disagree with this. Why wouldn't MS want to convince them too join Game Pass?

Nah it'll definitely be on gamepass. I'm not questioning that. I'm just wondering if Microsoft intends to pivot away from being all-in on gamepass and have it be supplemental. They really need starfield to be a mega hit or I think they're kinda screwed.

It's mentioned on the official website, just not in the trailer. The showcase and starfield direct is probably gonna be full of game pass banners as one would expect