Starfield's lead quest designer had 'absolutely no time' and had to hit the 'panic button' so the game would have a satisfying final quest

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
BCGRfSwNT9NeSxswTttWPT-970-80.jpg.webp

At the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco on Tuesday, Shen and former Fallout 76 lead level designer Daryl Brigner gave a joint talk about the importance of collaboration when it comes to level and quest design. The two developers worked together for nearly 15 years on Bethesda RPGs like Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Fallout 76. Both have since left the company: Shen is now lead content designer for Something Wicked Games, and Brigner is world director for Soft Rains—both new studios created by industry veterans.

During the talk, Shen and Brigner discussed the design of a couple of memorable quests from Skyrim and Fallout 4, like House of Horrors, where the player investigates a haunted house, and Last Voyage of the U.S.S. Constitution, where robots enlist the player to return an 18th century naval frigate to the sea. Near the end of the talk, Shen spoke about the final quest of Starfield—specifically, what it was lacking.

We were finally at a state in the project where we could play through the whole [game]. And it became very clear that we were missing the large final location that was going to tie the story together and have a satisfying action-filled payoff," Shen said. "I was both implementing the main quest and leading the quest design team, so I had absolutely no time. The entire quest design team was already overbooked.

Part of the issue, Shen said, was the sheer size of the team working on Starfield. Skyrim's development team was around 100 people, which made collaboration between different departments easier. That team size grew to about 150 for Fallout 4, then over 350 for Fallout 76, and 500+ for Starfield. That's not just Bethesda Game Studios but outside developers like Machine Games, Nobody Studios, Arkane, Snowed In, and The Forge Interactive.

via PCGamer

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The truth always comes out. It sounded like missions were not up to par, from what I heard.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
That wasn't satisfying, though. Interesting to a degree, yes. Probably one of 3 missions in the game I had some interest in.

Sunrise Ninja

5 Feb 2024
I played for over 10 hours and it's easily one of the most boring games I ever played. I read about the rest of the story since I'll never bother playing the rest and it's all beyond stupid.

Just like Halo Infinite this game god good score out of pity.
I still can't believe all those clowns who gave Halo infinite game of the year. One of the biggest WTF ever, but then again..

WgLmzaS.gif

Reactions: Nhomnhom