State-of-the-art facility in the Manaus Free Trade Zone starts producing physical game discs for PlayStation 5 for distribution in Brazil and Latin Am

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Here at Sony Interactive Entertainment, we are grateful for the support that our Brazilian community has given to the PlayStation brand and our products. We are excited to share the news that, from now on, physical PlayStation 5 discs, our exclusive and third-party games, will be produced in Brazil.

Sony Interactive Entertainment worked hand-in-hand with long-time partner Solutions 2 GO – a well-known multinational entertainment, electronics and accessories company – to create a state-of-the-art facility in the Manaus Free Trade Zone to produce games on discs that will be distributed nationally. and exported to all Latin American countries.

The Solutions 2 GO installation already produces physical media for PlayStation consoles up to 66GB, but will now also support games up to 100GB for PS5, including the acclaimed God of War Ragnarök .

To ensure maximum efficiency in the production process, a team of experts from Sony Interactive Japan spent weeks in Brazil working on installation, programming and training local staff. The initiative reinforces the commitment to Brazil and the Brazilian community.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
As in the middle of the Amazon? I mean, I guess if they air ship them anyways. Yeah, doesn't really make logistic sense to me.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Some more Manaus fun facts!

It actually isn't connected to Brazil's road network so everyone and everything comes in by air or, more typically, by boat up the Amazon.
Its not small, population of at least 1 million.
It sits at the mouth of the Amazon's largest tributary, the Rio Negro (black river, aptly named for its sediment rich water) and really is the heart of the Amazon, as I already said.

So yeah, I think this is a terrible place to produce consumer goods and that special economic zone must have gave them a hell of a good deal.

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Sony recently opened a factory in Brazil dedicated to print physical copies of PS5 games (4K Ultra HD Blu Rays)

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
no, physical games on PlayStation are not going away, not this gen, and surely not the next one, Sony is investing in keeping the format relevant in their biggest markets, like Brazil, where gamers buy about 70% of their games physically, and this is a reality on many South American countries aswell

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Dance Dogs GIF

• party

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
So yeah, I think this is a terrible place to produce consumer goods and that special economic zone must have gave them a hell of a good deal.
idk, most media products are already produced there.
Biggest reason why this is a beeg win is the insame import tariffs that we get here over everything that isnt produced locally. its why ps5 games are more expensive and something like the metal gear master collection costs $100 here.
also switch games, not produced locally so they all cost upwards of $110

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Good to see in light of Xbox giving up physical media. Let's see how that will translate into prices, right now prices are. This gen prices have been pretty good for hardware and discs, we actually pay slightly less for games than in the US.

The Pulse Elite is releasing about $50 more than in the US making it twice as expensive as the Pulse 3D her (that actually costs about $99).

Sony seems to be trying their best here, can't complain, they probably work with much lower margins here in Brazil, a very hostile environment for business success.

As in the middle of the Amazon? I mean, I guess if they air ship them anyways. Yeah, doesn't really make logistic sense to me.
The whole Manaus thing is beyond stupid, just something that they tried in the past never worked and there is no political will to correct.

Last edited: