Steam Just Hit 10 Million Users Online At Once For The First Time

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
steamlogo.jpg

The player count on the digital distribution platform Steam recently exceeded 10 million active users, reaching this number for the first time on January 7, 2023. This represents a fairly significant milestone for a platform which has been waning in popularity for decades, PC.

The record was reached as players around the world began settling down to play some of the games which they picked up during the recently held Christmas Sale, a major annual event on Steam. The player count on the platform has been steadily rising, reaching 32 million concurrent users earlier this week. In other words, players who are logged into Steam but not actively playing a game.

According to the tracking website SteamDB, the total concurrent users on Steam reached a record high of 10,016,459 on January 7. This marks the first time that more than 10 million users have been recorded simultaneously playing a game on the platform. The number has continued to rise and is expected to continue increasing over the course of the coming weeks and months, at least based on previously recorded growth patterns.

• Informative
Reactions: TubzGaming

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
So that 32 million concurrent number was nothing but padding. Nice to have realistic numbers.

• fire
Reactions: ethomaz

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
So that 32 million concurrent number was nothing but padding. Nice to have realistic numbers.
32M concurrent users
10M concurrent players

Different things. People being logged into Steam and browsing the store, on the forums, watching streams, or just chatting or trading cards or whatever, are still users...

So it's not padding, it just represents concurrent people active on Steam in some capacity vs people actually playing games concurrently.

Either way, Steam stays growing. 😎

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Sheep keep showing up at the farm. The feed doesn't even come from the farm owner unlike at some other farms.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
32M concurrent users
10M concurrent players

Different things. People being logged into Steam and browsing the store, on the forums, watching streams, or just chatting or trading cards or whatever, are still users...

So it's not padding, it just represents concurrent people active on Steam in some capacity vs people actually playing games concurrently.

Either way, Steam stays growing. 😎

Padding.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417
C

COCONUT

It's (from my point of view) the best gaming platform. Mods, forums, voice, games, all in the same place.

I have some concerns for the future in terms of cloud gaming. I don't see (for example) MicroSoft allowing their games on Steam Cloud and on xCloud (maybe i'm wrong, time will tell). But at least for now, the best.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I wonder where 32mil comes from.
Even 10mil... it is just people with turned on computers. Not playing

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I have my doubts these numbers are really accurate.

Valve blocked that API data and what these external sites do today are well estimates.

But at least we have some estimate.

C

COCONUT

I have my doubts these numbers are really accurate.

Valve blocked that API data and what these external sites do today are well estimates.

But at least we have some estimate.
I think they got it from the oficial Steam graphs tool that Valve shared not long ago.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: ethomaz

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's (from my point of view) the best gaming platform. Mods, forums, voice, games, all in the same place.

I have some concerns for the future in terms of cloud gaming. I don't see (for example) MicroSoft allowing their games on Steam Cloud and on xCloud (maybe i'm wrong, time will tell). But at least for now, the best.

Agreed. It's flawed, but it's the best platform, especially for indie games.

The convenience of using the workshop to download and install mods for you is great, for example.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony gave them a lot of exposure with their exclusives. When they want to sell their platforms or the SteamDeck they always show stuff like God Of War or Spider-Man.

They might not be the most played games on Steam but it gives them prestige just to have it there in the marketing.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

If you think MS will allow anyone else into their sandbox, you really need to look into their history.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I wonder where 32mil comes from.
Even 10mil... it is just people with turned on computers. Not playing

From users that simply have the steam icon installed.

It’s padding as fanboys will use it to deceptively misrepresent its active userbase.

It’s also not the same as consoles running idle. It’s more likely a pc is being used for work and business when an idle console is still most likely to be used to game.

And then there’s representing 20 years of pc hardware. So then what? Add PS4 totals to PS5 if those metrics were available?

Padding

Reactions: rofif

Bort

8 Jan 2023
I don't think I have closed it, for a decade?

I do also use EGS.. to get the free games. Maybe one day, I shall play one of them.