Steam update confirms Returnal is coming to PC

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Well piracy is part of the reason why pc gamers will have to wait a bit.

Devs actually need paying customers to keep making games.

Pirates are trash.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
To add upon this, and I know some people may find it offensive, but when people talk about port-begging... Just read the first few comments.
You can't use that word without one or two losing their shit, but the facts speak for themselves ☝️

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
To add upon this, and I know some people may find it offensive, but when people talk about port-begging... Just read the first few comments.

E.g.

There's also plenty of comments from people that got rid of their console and moved to PC. Then we have people saying this won't impact playstation's bottom line when they are making less money per game and pretty much screwing their product experience. Less money from games, peripherals, their own store... The vision is so short sighted.

It's not short sighted if you understand how steam sales work. Games chart whenever there's sales and since there's leaderboards, co-op. I see this being a evergreen title that as people start to discover it on steam over time will be another game that continues to sell for years to come.

Playstation knows what its doing.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Armchair experts disagree with pretty much the entire gaming industry, aside from Nintendo.

Meanwhile, in Japan:

It's true that the market is WIDER to some extent.. but AAA isn't losing money by releasing on PC.

Sony wants a large catalog of games on PC to justify a storefront most likely. The end goal.

They likely want Dualsense to take off as a common controller on PC as well.

The part of the math people always forget when quoting anectdotes about Playstation gamers switching to PC... there's a world full of PC gamers who aren't current customers to sell to.. and that includes accessories.

• brain
Reactions: Deleted member 51
D

Deleted member 13

You can't use that word without one or two losing their shit, but the facts speak for themselves ☝️
This is not a couple of people losing their shit. Our decision to not tolerate that slang word in the rules was a coordinated decision by all the mods and founders. Back off the snide remarks. If you have grievances then send PMs.

24 Jun 2022

E.g.

There's also plenty of comments from people that got rid of their console and moved to PC. Then we have people saying this won't impact playstation's bottom line when they are making less money per game and pretty much screwing their product experience. Less money from games, peripherals, their own store... The vision is so short sighted.

The entire idea that there's no crossover between the console space and PC gaming space is fundamentally false. In fact, the PC gaming market as it exists today, owes its existence to the console industry. When the AAA PC gaming space nosedived in the early 2000s, those devs started focusing on console, primarily Xbox, gradually.

This ramped up considerably with the 7th gen as Western PC devs leveraged the console base to focus their AAA development on, in turn meaning the PC could still get games like that, but only thanks to the existence of the consoles. A LOT of PC-only gamers from the '90s and early '00s migrated to consoles like the 360 when devs like Bethesda, Obsidian, etc. started focusing on the console audience to justify their production budgets.

So yeah, the natural conclusion to draw when reports talk about the growth of PC or platforms like Steam, is that the growth comes at the expense of the consoles, and platform holders increasingly pushing their own 1P content to PC can at least in some ways be seen as furthering that shift. And now that's creating an attitude among some PC gamers that, for example, all Sony 1P content should come to the platform and it's not like Sony is doing much to dissuade those assumptions.

It does get pretty annoying though when it's a new PS 1P or even 3P exclusive coming out and you get a gang of people talking about how they can't wait to get it on PC. I wouldn't call it port-begging (I mean, chances are the game IS coming to PC more or less), but some people do it just to spite people buying Day 1 on the console, particularly PlayStation. When you realize that in terms of big or just narrative-heavy games, it's only Sony games getting plot-spoiled (I didn't see any leaks for Plague Tale: Requiem, Gotham Knights, Pentiment etc.) and it's been that way for a few years now, it makes the "can't wait for PC version!" comments when it's JUST the PS4/5 version releasing for some period of time, annoying and in some specific cases probably thinly-veiled plays into console war BS.

But I mainly only see that on places like Twitter, but I've seen it on ResetERA too in the recent FF XVI thread, especially considering how some of those posters lean in other console gaming discussions when they involve say Sony or Microsoft, or the ABK acquisition. Like, they're so easy to see through they might as well be translucent.

Armchair experts disagree with pretty much the entire gaming industry, aside from Nintendo.

Meanwhile, in Japan:

It's true that the market is WIDER to some extent.. but AAA isn't losing money by releasing on PC.

For 3P publishers? Very likely not. It's more about if platform holders are, Sony in this particular case. But that really depends on high conversion of normal Day 1 buyers of 1P titles on console, waiting for the PC port instead before buying, and we haven't seen that happen yet and will probably never see it happen in all honesty.

It's kind of difficult to tell though without a game to use as the control. One of the live-service GaaS titles will be among the first, I guess by comparing what the MTX revenue split looks like between PS consoles and the PC version.

Sony wants a large catalog of games on PC to justify a storefront most likely. The end goal.

They likely want Dualsense to take off as a common controller on PC as well.

I kind of don't see how that pans out strategy-wise when they are bringing the 1P ports to EGS and especially Steam. They are would-be competing storefronts to whatever Sony brings out, and it would be pretty difficult of them to yank future ports away from those storefronts to simply lock them to their own. They have already conditioned PC gamers to expect the ports on other storefronts at the very least.

If Sony are bringing their own storefront/launcher to PC after all, they'll have to provide incentives to drive customers to theirs that won't involve suddenly stripping away ports from EGS & Steam. But I actually kind of think they would enter a partnership with Epic and integrate some PS launcher with EGS, work out a revenue cut deal more advantageous for Sony (in return them putting more investment funds into Epic), and find some ways to incentivize 3P partners on PS consoles to up their support for PC ports to EGS, before doing their own storefront.

Maybe, anyway.

The part of the math people always forget when quoting anectdotes about Playstation gamers switching to PC... there's a world full of PC gamers who aren't current customers to sell to.. and that includes accessories.

Yeah but also consider that you don't need to pay for a Steam account, and you can play free games on Steam plus get games for free and very, VERY cheap in flash sales with bundles, among other things.

The question is still how many hardcore/core Day 1 PS 1P buyers are there who don't have FOMO & have the patience to wait for a PC port, will choose to do so. And how many of THAT segment tend to do all or most of their 3P games, DLC & MTX purchases on PlayStation will move that activity over to PC?

We don't have any answers for that; I personally think those specific customers are maybe 1% to 2% of the total PS customer base, but they could account for generating say 10% of division revenue between 1P & 3P games, DLC, MTX, services purchases for example. We don't really know what that amount is, but I'm guessing Sony have belief that specific type of customer accounts for a bit less than 10% of total division revenue, and they make up differences through having live-service GaaS content generating its own revenue, and other stuff.

Last edited:

Pey

Content Creator
29 Sep 2022
Well piracy is part of the reason why pc gamers will have to wait a bit.

Devs actually need paying customers to keep making games.

Pirates are trash.

I don't know why Sony doens't add Denuvo to their games. All their releases have been single player games so far, and they were pirated to hell and back.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75
P

peter42O

Wonder if there will be an update for the PS5 version when the game releases on PC. Really wish Housemarque would add an option to play the game without the roguelike elements. Let me play it like Alienation. When I die, I restart at the beginning of the world/map im on and keep all my weapons and whatnot. Really hoping that their next game is NOT a roguelike.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Hopefully there will be a PS5 update or Directors Cut with improved resolution with FSR 2.2 and a120fps mode.....

Pey

Content Creator
29 Sep 2022
They probably have proprietary DRM in the works along with their rumored launcher.

Even so, the damage is already done, at least to their projected sales for 2022. Any game releases so far would have tripled their sales (if not more) if they had added Denuvo. Uncharted and Sackboy sales were atrocious, and GOW and Spider-Man could have sold much more than 1 million.

Reactions: Bryank75

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Wonder if there will be an update for the PS5 version when the game releases on PC. Really wish Housemarque would add an option to play the game without the roguelike elements. Let me play it like Alienation. When I die, I restart at the beginning of the world/map im on and keep all my weapons and whatnot. Really hoping that their next game is NOT a roguelike.
Lol that's not going to happen.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
This is port begging

"Sony please release God of War Ragnarok on PC, please!"

This is not port begging

"Sony is going to release God of War Ragnarok on PC, I'll get it then when they do."

Learn the difference
~Welcome BACK

couple hug GIF

D

Deleted member 13

Since you guys want to argue so much about port-begging and what it means, I'll make an official thread. I don't want to see this term in other threads though. It will be an immediate ban.