Stellar Blade seems to be surprising hit in Japan - credit @Genki_JPN | @Serkantoto

24 Jun 2022
I don't trust Genki, so I'll wait for a more neutral source to confirm.

Tho we shouldn't need others to tell us what's likely an obvious; Stellar Blade will likely have strong appeal in markets like Japan like RotR (but also in SB's case better global appeal than RotR seemed to have).

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I don't trust Genki, so I'll wait for a more neutral source to confirm.

Tho we shouldn't need others to tell us what's likely an obvious; Stellar Blade will likely have strong appeal in markets like Japan like RotR (but also in SB's case better global appeal than RotR seemed to have).
There is an more neutral source: Dr Serkan Toto.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Why surprising? This game has to be a surehit in Japan, melee character action and great "visuals"
True but Japanese people are weird lately or especially this generation. FF7 Rebirth is such an incredible game and it sold only like 350k retail im Japan. So that's why I put "surprising" in the headline.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Great job, they need to follow this up and investigate how they could capitalize on these trends in that territory.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
didnt bayonetta bombed in japan?

Bayontta isn't sexy, she just looks really weird and her using her hair as a weapon is also weird. The beehive hairstyle doesnt help either.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy and own the Bayonetta games but i can see why they are hard to market.

I'm convinced the only reason Nier Automata did well is because of 2B.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
If Stellar Blade turns out to be a huge success in terms of sales, Sony should acquire them in 2025. Could be Sony's own Monolithsoft they are looking for.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
If Stellar Blade turns out to be a huge success in terms of sales, Sony should acquire them in 2025. Could be Sony's own Monolithsoft they are looking for.
Unlikely since Tencent owns what 30% shares & considering the studio solely make these hyper sexualized game & Sony censorship idk how consumer & studio would feel long term. Hopefully we get sells seems to do good overall

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Unlikely since Tencent owns what 30% shares & considering the studio solely make these hyper sexualized game & Sony censorship idk how consumer & studio would feel long term. Hopefully we get sells seems to do good overall
It's 20%. Owning shares is not really an obstacle. Sony just needs to buy the majority of shares to force Tencent to sell their shares.

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Reactions: Neversummer

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
True but Japanese people are weird lately or especially this generation. FF7 Rebirth is such an incredible game and it sold only like 350k retail im Japan. So that's why I put "surprising" in the headline.
Sony needs a cheap handheld like make the portal but native for the Asia market even shrinking the screen in half to lower price & removing haptic & going with regular rumble, no adaptive triggers & much lower storage space instead of 500gb make it 100gb so you have to buy additional from 3rd party to make a hybrid handheld at the power of a PS5 but at $300-$400

The only important part of a hybrid handheld would be power all of those extra additions can be shrunk or remove to make it cost very low & actually have a true chance of competing with Nintendo which Nintendo massive upside is the $300 price is so low it’s so easy to buy multiple for your friends or kids as gifts

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Perhaps the actual question should be different. Are Japanese gamers very enthusiastic about Stellar Blade's aesthetics or are they simply rejecting western games' modern-audiences aesthetics?

Had Square Enix not started to censor character outfits everywhere, would Japanese gamers buy more or less copies of FF7 Rebirth?

didnt bayonetta bombed in japan?

I don't think many people find Bayonetta's body proportions attractive. Starting with the fact that they're not even human proportions.

scarlett-johansson-black-widow-5 (1)

I've seen and talked to many people with body proportions similar to Eve's, though.