Storage Wars - PS5 Vs Xbox Series

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
PS learned their lesson with the proprietary format with the Vita.

In MS case, it also doesn't help that their is not much competition in the licensed manufacturers.

PS: people forget the possible injury danger with MS solution, as the SSD can get really hot and burn your fingers/hands if trying to unplug them after a gaming session.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I do think just being able to slot it in is kinda cool but for that price, that's a terrible joke on consumers.

Let's be honest, it's not exactly a hard task to put an SSD into your Playstation Five.

If I can do it, and I am a simple goldfish, anyone can do it.

In the end for 10 mins of simple work, you can basically get double the storage capacity.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
50% price. 200% speed.

One screw to turn.

think sesame street GIF

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I do think just being able to slot it in is kinda cool but for that price, that's a terrible joke on consumers.

Let's be honest, it's not exactly a hard task to put an SSD into your Playstation Five.

If I can do it, and I am a simple goldfish, anyone can do it.

In the end for 10 mins of simple work, you can basically get double the storage capacity.

Hardest part for me was taking the PS5 plate off, because I was afraid of breaking it 😂

• haha
Reactions: Shmunter and Sircaw

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Bought Kingston 1tb for like 150 euros for ps5. Best gaming decision in a long time. I have over 20 games and still 500gb free.

I got my WD for like 120 quid. Awesome sauce, most of my games are now stored there with the ones currently being played on the internal.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Bought Kingston 1tb for like 150 euros for ps5. Best gaming decision in a long time. I have over 20 games and still 500gb free.
Yeah you can store quite a few games even on a 1TB
I got my WD for like 120 quid. Awesome sauce, most of my games are now stored there with the ones currently being played on the internal.
Yeah i got mine for around the same price and i have it set up with PS4 games going to the 1TB and PS5 games going to Internal

D

Deleted member 417

I choose the one that is faster than a Mexican Mouse on Crack.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The worst thing about the ps5 solution is that there is some soldered memory on the motherboard, this will fail at some point and I don't think it's even possible to boot the machine with only an add-on nvme drive (please prove me wrong).

Otherwise the standard nvme drive is the way to go, can be affordable, easy to install, fast and easy to find.

Microsoft's solution has no place in a rational conversation, its only benefit is that you have nice carts that you get to advertise.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
The worst thing about the ps5 solution is that there is some soldered memory on the motherboard, this will fail at some point and I don't think it's even possible to boot the machine with only an add-on nvme drive (please prove me wrong).

What happens if PS5 SSD fails?
Since the PS5 SSD is essentially part of the mainboard, any failure of the drive means replacing the entire board along with the CPU and GPU. Strictly speaking, you can manually remove components and solder new ones into a system.
The lifetime AFR for HDDs and SSDs in year four was respectively 1.83% and 1.05%, while in year five the gap grew: 3.55% for HDDs versus 0.92% for SDDs. The lifetime AFR for HDDs in years six, seven and eight were respectively 5.23%, 6.26%, and 6.93%.
"At this point we can reasonably claim that SSDs are more reliable than HDDs, at least when used as boot drives in our environment,"
"It is highly certain that the failure rate of SSDs will eventually start to rise. It is also possible that at some point the SSDs could hit the wall, perhaps when they start to reach their media wearout limits."

All in all The likely hood of a drive failing is very small yes they are soldered to the mainboard and from everything i have seen the "Average" Lifespan of a SSD is 7-10+ Years (Depending on read/writes) and by that time most people will have the next thing either company push (PS6 / XboxSXS+2)
It would be nice if they had a easy fix but how they did it was not only to save space and help with the cooling but it is also made that way to fix the custom architecture.
PS5’s SSD what makes it unique is the way that Sony integrated it into the console’s architecture. You can essentially buy an NVME SSD for your PC that’s roughly as fast as the one in the PS5 (at least on paper), but the PS5 SSD utilizes custom components such as a 12 channel flash controller that is designed to limit the impact of the bottleneck problems that hinder the potential of even the best modern SSDs. Sony’s hope is that the efficient design of their SSD will limit the workload of the hardware’s RAM and CPU and allow the PS5’s processor to focus on reducing lag in your games rather than constantly needing to babysit basic data transfers.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Lets see what ebay's lowest buy it nows have to say about this....

PS5 memory expansion actually only costs 109 dollars.
Xbox at 181.

Both including shipping. I mean, Xbox is still more expensive and thus worse but wooooow, glad I don't "just" go to Amazon for stuff.