Supposed new images of Skull and Bones leak; Game is in danger of being canceled

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
According to a new leak, new screenshots of a current version of Skull and Bones that have been shared across the internet. Apparently we had a closed test recently. The person responsible for leaking the images also claims that after several postponements, the situation about the game is not at all positive and Skull and Bones may not be released this year and with each passing month the cancellation seems more likely.

090553.jpg

090554.jpg

090555.jpg

Reactions: Vertigo

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
it looks better than 80 percent of games going by that second screenshot. just release the damn game. what's the point in spending a decade on a game, just put it in "early access" and wipe your hands of it.

Reactions: Zzero

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They can't kill the game due to an agreement with the singaporean government. This is going to be an epic shitshow.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
it looks better than 80 percent of games going by that second screenshot. just release the damn game. what's the point in spending a decade on a game, just put it in "early access" and wipe your hands of it.

I mean … the visuals may have been the easy part. It could be interpreted as them spending budget in the wrong places if this game is potentially being cancelled. But it may have been built using off the shelf assassin creeds assets so also not shocked it looks pretty good.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Nah, a week ago Ubisoft confirmed it as one of their key games for this fiscal year in addition to AC Mirage, Avatar, Rainbow Six Mobile, The Division Resurgence, The Crew Motorfest, XDefiant and another large game.

They can't kill the game due to an agreement with the singaporean government. This is going to be an epic shitshow.
This is fake btw, they obviously can kill it if they want to do so. But it's true they got help from that government, in the same way that many studios get help from their governments around the world.

As an example, Ubisoft and other companies have several studios in Canada with thousands of workers because of help provided from the Canadian government, giving them way better conditions than other countries. These deals are for investing in tech/culture in their countries, creating a lot of job positions there etc.

And here in my country many games (not the Ubisoft ones, Ubisoft considers doesn't need these helps and prefers to leave them to indies) get different helps from national, regional or EU governments. And a good chunk of them get cancelled before release.

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This is fake btw, they obviously can kill it if they want to do so. But it's true they got help from that government, in the same way that many studios get help from their governments around the world.

Maybe I explained it incorrectly, but no, technically it's not fake. Yes, they can cancel it, but they will have to pay a load in fines. They also have a multigame agreement, which I believe they have not yet delivered one game.

And here in my country many games (not the Ubisoft ones, Ubisoft considers doesn't need these helps and prefers to leave them to indies) get different helps from national, regional or EU governments. And a good chunk of them get cancelled before release.

There's a thing called non-repayment grants, which is the case for a lot of local and EU wide funding. This is not necessarily the same in other regions of the world, nor it is directly transferable to them.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Maybe I explained it incorrectly, but no, technically it's not fake. Yes, they can cancel it, but they will have to pay a load in fines. They also have a multigame agreement, which I believe they have not yet delivered one game.
They should have just released each half-completed version of the game as its own title, they'd be done and out of it already. And hey, people would have actually liked that original version. Either way, time to stop fucking around and ship.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They should have just released each half-completed version of the game as its own title, they'd be done and out of it already. And hey, people would have actually liked that original version. Either way, time to stop fucking around and ship.

Yeah, they need to assume their losses and release it, usually games that stay so long in development hell will not be good.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

There's a thing called non-repayment grants, which is the case for a lot of local and EU wide funding. This is not necessarily the same in other regions of the world, nor it is directly transferable to them.
There are many types. Some governments also provide tax reductions, or pay a portion of the portion of the localization to their language or trips to business fairs of that industry (sometimes if showcasing the game in their booth), etc. only asking for the receipts. Or pay a portion of development for project that are specially innovative, or have a good narrative, or there are other non-gaming specific helps such as research specific ones that some game companies sometimes also get. Or pay a portion of the cost of setting a new studio there with hundreds/thousands of employees.

Regarding this game many years ago, they considered it wasn't good enough so delayed it to improve it making many changes. But considered it was good enough to don't cancel it.

As of now Ubisoft invested on it hundreds of millions of dollars and will spend many more in marketing when released, in addition to invest more in post launch development during years. They consider the game is in a good enough shape to release it this fiscal year and will do so.

If they would have considered that the game isn't good enough, they would have cancelled it as they cancelled other games this or the previous year.

Cancelled games that pretty likely in most cases also got some help from some government since Ubisoft has offices in dozens of countries. Yep, in some case (not all) that would mean to return some money or pay some fine, but that would be nothing compared to throwing to the garbage bin hundreds of millions of dollars they invested in cancelled games.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This could be an excellent third person f2p sea of thieves competitor, which basically owns that pirate multiplayer market by itself. Ubisoft has to be run by clowns at this point. On top of them not releasing a new assassin's creed for multiple years and posting record losses, I don't know what they've been doing with their games.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
Ngl I was sort of looking for this game, it reminded me of Black Flag mechanics. Poor game, another bit the dust with Ubisoft, we must also presume Beyond good & Evil 2 is dead.