Switch 2 will "be hybrid again" launch at $400. 8 inch LCD. use Nvidia chip & be BC. Nikkei says releases March 2025.Dev kit update.|UP| 5/2/24

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Perhaps we'll have more than one non-windows handheld console. It was stupid enough of Sony and Microsoft to leave Nintendo completely alone in that market.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Perhaps we'll have more than one non-windows handheld console. It was stupid enough of Sony and Microsoft to leave Nintendo completely alone in that market.

It would be redundant of Sony to make a bespoke handheld when a lot of their recent games are already handheld with no special effort on their part. Anything they do is gonna be a worse deal than this:

• haha
Reactions: PlacidusaX

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Not the biggest Nintendo fan but sounding good thus far. If Nintendo releases their older games for purchase via Virtual Console like they did with Wii, oh man, I will be very tempted to jump in day one!!

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
As someone who skipped the Switch entirely, I mostly just want physical backwards compatibility. I plan on buying the handful of Switch games I'm interested in and playing them on the Switch 2. And if it also improves those games' performance, then even better. I'll gladly pick it up if it checks off those boxes.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Steam deck is basically the endgame of portables. Valve should improve distribution. though. I wonder however how much can AMD improve it's offerings for a steam deck 2 in say... 3 years.

The switch 2 might be the most powerful portable for a while.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Steam deck is basically the endgame of portables. Valve should improve distribution. though. I wonder however how much can AMD improve it's offerings for a steam deck 2 in say... 3 years.

The switch 2 might be the most powerful portable for a while.
Im interested in Steam Deck 2

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Ampere will be, what? 5 years old by the time Switch 2 comes out?.. And 7/8 nm as expected. Also, I’m assuming it’s T239 and not T329.

This sounds very Nintendo.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Ampere will be, what? 5 years old by the time Switch 2 comes out?.. And 7/8 nm as expected. Also, I’m assuming it’s T239 and not T329.

This sounds very Nintendo.

This is pretty much in line with what I predicted back in 2022.

Not too sure about the specs, but if Nintendo is to continue their partnership with Nvidia, they could use something like the Jetson Orin NX APU which is to be released this year, afaik. This would allow them for a machine that could support up to 16GB Ram with an 8-Core CPU and up to 4TFlop GPU (not that that matters much). The TDP is between 10 to 25w on the stock version, which is in the same ballpark as the original switch.

As for additional specs, I think at least 64GB of expandable storage are required, and they should keep the OLED display at 7-inch, but bump it to 1080p. It should have at the very least 8GB of RAM, with 16GB being ideal.

It's imperative to include backwards compatibility - if it can run previous gen games at full 1080p + 1440p in docked mode it would be perfect.

And further here

The X1 has a TDP of 15w, the X1+ on the switch uses about half. The Orin scales from 5w all the way up to 60w TDP. The new console is probably a custom 8 core SOC, so we can safely bet it will be powered by the Orin NX 16GB which scales between 10 to 25w. With their customisation they can have it at or below the 10w TDP.

They can also go with the hexacore Orin Nano whose TDP scales between 7 and 15 watts, but my bet is that they'll downclock the 16GB Orin NX and remove half the ram pool, which should lower TDP as well.

And here

My guess for the Switch 2 specs is something of a hybrid between the Orin NX 16GB and the Orin NX 8GB
  • Cortex-A78C [the 78C is used for laptops, I doubt they would go with the 78AE] with 8-cores
  • 8GB LPDDR5
  • Ampere GPU 1024:8:32
I could see them going with the Orin NX 8GB configuration with 6 cores, but I don't think that will give them a big enough boost.

I doubt it will be a T329, there's no indication that model exists even and 2022 models are all T2xx. I also doubt the amount of CUDA cores, there's no APU with that configuration.

It seems like this is a customised Orin NX 16GB with less RAM, probably downclocked, and with a different CPU (A78C instead of A78AE)

• fire
Reactions: Entropi