Take-Two Boss Supportive of Microsoft-Activision Deal: 'What's Good for Them Is Good for the Industry'

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

When asked for his thoughts on the deal, CEO Strauss Zelnick expressed that Take-Two had supported the deal for some time, saying that it would be a positive for the company's partner, Microsoft:

What's good for them is also good for the industry." I think it's important never to confuse a distribution technology with a business model," Zelnick said. "I would love to believe that streaming our titles would massively expand the marketplace. I'm not sure there's any reason to believe that.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
"The gaming market exploded in size since Cloud gaming became a reality", said no one ever.

PSNow, Stadia, GeForce Now, xCloud, it always flops because there is no audience for it. It mostly attracts broke people that can't afford a decent PC or console, hardly the audience a gaming company would want to go after.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
"The gaming market exploded in size since Cloud gaming became a reality", said no one ever.

PSNow, Stadia, GeForce Now, xCloud, it always flops because there is no audience for it. It mostly attracts broke people that can't afford a decent PC or console, hardly the audience a gaming company would want to go after.
It sort of makes sense though if he wants to sell GTA:O and NBA ultimate team equivalent thing. Which he does.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Strauss knows that it benefits him to have less competition, he's a smart guy. His idea of a better industry isn't a better industry for consumers....

He sees opportunity for his brand but that comes from limiting choice and suppliers of content.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
What's good for them is good for the industry?

Explain that, if you would. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Sell your games exclusively to Xbox. That's good for them, see how much good it does you.
I agree completely with this.

It's a nonsensical statement. Doesn't matter anyway. CMA has made its decision. And the FTC is still suing.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
What's so good about it? How many games and DLC are you selling there, T2? Can you survive with that money only?

Xbox actually wants to kill software sales and move everything to subscriptions. How is that good exactly? They want to make Sony weaker. A weak Sony is bad for the industry.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Well what is he to say? It benefits him to have less competition. Why fracture business relationship with MS when the outcome whether Blocked or not still won't affect Take 2.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75
24 Jun 2022
What he means is, if MS buy ABK they can buy T2 next. And I think they should.

MS should buy all the shit pubs and crash this industry with no survivors, that would be very good for the industry.

Call them shit pubs all you want, games like COD and GTA sell millions and generate billions in revenue & profit. IP of that size being consolidated under Microsoft's ownership, when it's not even evident they will be able to maintain (let alone grow & improve) IP like DOOM or TES should be very worrying.

And, those IP crashing and burning would mean millions of people now having less choices in terms of gaming content. Heck look at the reduction of choices that've come about due to the Rare acquisition, how long it's taken some IP like Perfect Dark to even come back. It's always a question of management & creative pursuit when it comes to Microsoft gaming leadership.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Strauss knows that it benefits him to have less competition, he's a smart guy. His idea of a better industry isn't a better industry for consumers....

He sees opportunity for his brand but that comes from limiting choice and suppliers of content.
He aint smart, he is fucking greedy.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
What's good for them is good for the industry?

Explain that, if you would. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Sell your games exclusively to Xbox. That's good for them, see how much good it does you.
He’s just saying that because I’m sure he wants to buy other companies as well for the company. That’s my assumption

D

Deleted member 417

Call them shit pubs all you want, games like COD and GTA sell millions and generate billions in revenue & profit. IP of that size being consolidated under Microsoft's ownership, when it's not even evident they will be able to maintain (let alone grow & improve) IP like DOOM or TES should be very worrying.

And, those IP crashing and burning would mean millions of people now having less choices in terms of gaming content. Heck look at the reduction of choices that've come about due to the Rare acquisition, how long it's taken some IP like Perfect Dark to even come back. It's always a question of management & creative pursuit when it comes to Microsoft gaming leadership.

I respectfully disagree. I'll take each publishers apart.

T2 - Made 3 games since 2013; Gta and RDR. They've got lazy and have milked one franchise for 10 years, getting greedy from MTX, rather than making another game. GTA 5 was shit, GTA will be terrible. Zelnick is a scumbag who I wouldn't piss on to put him out if he was on fire.

EA - Haven't made a good game in years. Went woke with Battlefield and then went broke. they doubled down and blamed the fans. Then gave the fans the middle finger with the newest battlefield by promising a single-player campaign, then pulled it. They exist on MTX and scumbag practices. Targetting kids with FIFA packs is despicable and the EA C-Suite should be tarred and feathered, then pelted with rotten fruit.

Ubisoft - Had a few decent R6 games, then ruined them through greed, P2W and MTX. Watch dogs went shit when they tried to maximise on the cross-gen double-dipping and ruined both versions. AC has been shit since AC2 and they refuse to innovate, instead opting to go the route of bloated, open-world, cookie-cutter collectathons while milking the franchise to the ground. Look how many AC games are in development. Far Cry is fucking garbage. They're scumbags.

ABK - lolworthy publisher (and this has nothing to do with the MS purchase) COD has been on life support since Fortnite and Apex came on the scene. They've kept it afloat by creating a F2P version and then lying about player counts. Two shite remakes, of which one never had their most popular campaign. Tony Hawks was wank. Guitar Hero milked to oblivion. WoW is on life support and the expansions and remakes landed with widespread disgust from fans. Overwatch 2 is cancelling the single player and is a scumbag mtx-farm aimed at kids. No one has heard from Hearthstone for years. Crash Bandicoot should have stayed with Sony.

As far as i'm concerned, the best thing that could happen to the industry is MS buying up all the above platforms, take all the American greed, MTX-riddled, corporate-created shite games and crash the industry right up each others arses with no survivors.

Disclaimer : I hope no one comes to harm and those who lose their jobs under this scenario find places to work and no financial difficulties befall them, with the exceptions of the top level managers who are forced to work in Mcdonalds and give all of their money to charity.