Tango Gameworks has been acquired by Krafton Inc. (PUBG), as well as Hi-Fi Rush IP

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Ok evil within 3 lets do it

The fact Hi-Fi Rush is heading across also heavily suggests that a sequel will most likely emerge from the partnership. However, franchises like Ghostwire: Tokyo, and The Evil Within will remain with Microsoft, at least for now.

I'm hoping that they're eventually able to buy that IP back from MS.

Reactions: Airbus

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
MS really showed their ass with this. They really didn't care at all about their japanese studio if Krafton got them as a last resort.

They even kept Evil Within and Ghostwire IP for no reason? Unless they want to make sure they get no AAA game?

Reactions: laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
MS really showed their ass with this. They really didn't care at all about their japanese studio if Krafton got them as a last resort.

They even kept Evil Within and Ghostwire IP for no reason? Unless they want to make sure they get no AAA game?

I'm wondering if keeping those IPs is simply to keep feeding the Game Pass machine. I doubt they'll do anything with them and certainly can't be trusted to do anything good with them anyway. Just throw the games on their crappy sub service and call it a day.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
No Evil Within is big downgrade, most known and successful franchise. Krafton shit their pants.
So why even bother to buy them, when they are closing down?

Last edited:

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I guess the original hifi rush is still going to be published by bethesda?

Knowing tango won't see a penny got me reluctant to buy it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: arvfab

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024

Did Krafton even want those IPs? Ghostwire is completely worthless, The Evil Within is a little better but probably they want to focus only on Hi-Fi Rush.

Senki Dala

11 Aug 2024
France
Glad for the team. <3

Personally I really disliked Hi-Fi Rush. I am a huge fan of Jet Set Radio since day one, same for the Future. Thought it would be in the same style... But not at all, I found the gameplay very bad, you don't feel anything...

The Evil Within 1 & 2 were both huge disappointment for me. My both favorite genres are JRPGs and Survival Horror, of course I love Mikami, but TEW 1 and 2... Eeeew... The monsters design ewww, the gameplay soso... the plot I hated it... I bought them both on day one, same for the DLCs, so nobody can say I didn't try, I finished all, but really so so for me.

I hope I'll like their next game, and yeah anyway I am happy for the team who can keep doing what they like.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Didn't all the staff already leave?

Then this will be all new talent or are they hiring back everyone who was laid off?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Didn't all the staff already leave?

Then this will be all new talent or are they hiring back everyone who was laid off?

Perhaps thinking of the Calisto Protocol dev Striking Distance? They lost 32 employees including the Dead Space director. Not sure if they are owned by Krafton.

Tango is probably meant to replenish the talent loss after Callisto Protocol flopped. No way it’s for the IPs lols but to me this is telegraphing a HiFi rush sequel coming right away.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Meh, what is the studio without Mikami. And yes he was involed with Hi Fi Rush.

Game was the most hyped up 7.5-8 game ever. And we all know why

24 Jun 2022
Watch them make a console-exclusive deal with Xbox.

That's been my worry, too. Is MS trying to establish a soft power with companies they'd otherwise be unable to acquire through consolidation, using assets they've already acquired?

Like, it Krafton acquiring Tango basically means MS retains Western publishing rights of Tango games but also gets exclusive Western localization & publishing rights to select Krafton games, isn't that just them leveraging a purchased asset to partially lock down another through some sort of exclusivity agreement?

Most gamers are dumb, they only think of exclusivity WRT games being on just one platform. But there's a whole other world of exclusivity in the BTS sense; if something like this is how Microsoft gets Krafton or other South Korean/Asian devs & pubs to enter "strategic partnerships" i.e like the one they have (had?) with SEGA/Atlus, that's just increasing Microsoft's sphere of influence.

And I don't care what others want to say, you can't increase your sphere of influence in a space without chipping away at another's. In this case that means Sony/SIE. Even if all of these games still come to PlayStation, it just makes SIE more dependent on a single large & growing once-rival-still-sorta?-rival-now-games-publisher in Microsoft. That's a growing amount of sway & influence a single publisher has in the affairs of a platform holder's well-being.

But hey, Kenichirio & Satya are probably singing in unified praise of these developments. Don't drink too much, fellas!

Reactions: Entropi

Summer Nightmares

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2023
I'm happy for the employees. I still haven't played Hifi Rush yet, I was more interested in The Evil Within and Ghostwire Tokyo but great news nonetheless.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Hi-fi rush more like toilet flush, the game has ADHD Adderall fuelled visual aesthetic. Cant believe this crap won best audio design ahead of ff 16 or octopath 2

• sad
Reactions: KvallyX

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Great news for Johanas and the team at Tango Gameworks but it's Krafton who I have zero confidence in but we'll see what happens. At least Hi Fi Rush 2 should be an AA title that Krafton doesn't fuck up.